SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

19 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I came across this article the other day, it seems more like a hypothetical situation at this point but any thoughts on D1 hockey at University of Washington?

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/2013/07/17/no-nhl-for-now-but-could-huskies-hockey-thrive-in-seattle/

Thanks for sharing. Would love for them to join.  Plenty of folks in Seattle who could write a check and get it going.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

UNLV getting to play ASU (club team) at T Mobile Arena.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/clip/12677502/unlv-hockey-to-play-at-t-mobile-arena

They need 12 million, but you would think that would be pretty easy for them to get in Vegas if they Can get some exposure, as prospective member they do have some upsides.

1. Travel to Vegas is cheap, there are tons of cheap flights from all over the country.

2. They are FBS in the Moutain West Conferance, but are in a seperate conferance for Mens soccer. So they have shown before that they can do a sperate single sport conferance.

3. They wouldn't need to build an new arena off the bat. While the T-Mobile arena may be getting the hype, the cities old ECHL squad the wranglers folded back in 2014, and there old home Orleans arena is only 4 miles from campus and seats about 7750 people for hockey. Not ideal but it would give them a home untill UNLV could raise the money for an on campus Arena. The building itself is pretty nice, it would just need some UNLV Banners and things and it could work.

1426460977-orleansarena-tickets.jpg

orleans-arena-las-vegas.jpg

orleans-arena-las-vegas1.jpg

34 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I came across this article the other day, it seems more like a hypothetical situation at this point but any thoughts on D1 hockey at University of Washington?

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/2013/07/17/no-nhl-for-now-but-could-huskies-hockey-thrive-in-seattle/

I talked to a guy that played on the UW club team about the same time that this article was written and asked him about D1 hockey. He said unless there was someone that wanted to pony up a LOT of money, it wasn't likely to happen. Two of the arenas - in Everett and Kent - aren't realistic for UW to use. Kent is way too far from campus (25-30 miles and brutal traffic) and Everett isn't much closer. Both arenas have CHL teams that play there so scheduling could be difficult. Key Arena is pretty close to campus but I think it would be expensive to rent.

I really think UNLV is going to happen if they only need $12 mil and are in Vegas.  The Engelstad's have a relationship with UNLV and hockey... and they have already donated over $100K to the club team in each 2013 and 2014, according to their financials.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I really think UNLV is going to happen if they only need $12 mil and are in Vegas.  The Engelstad's have a relationship with UNLV and hockey... and they have already donated over $100K to the club team in each 2013 and 2014, according to their financials.

It does seem like UNLV has great things in place to make it happen such as arena options, low entry cost, competitive club team, and location.

If we could somehow speed up their entry having ASU and UNLV added to the NCHC seems to be logical.

Article - Arizona State writes letter applying for NCHC membership

Arizona State has officially applied to be a member in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference.

Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson wrote a letter to NCHC commissioner Josh Fenton outlining the positives and potential of the second-year program, saying that the school will pay the NCHC's $20,000 application fee by mid-September.

1 hour ago, MissSioux85 said:

$500,000 NCHC admission fee.  So assuming the NCHC takes 2 teams at some point, that's $1 million for the league (with approx. $40,000 used for vetting expenses of new teams).  Anyone know if that would be distributed to the current members or would the league retain it for future investment/expenses?

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

$500,000 NCHC admission fee.  So assuming the NCHC takes 2 teams at some point, that's $1 million for the league (with approx. $40,000 used for vetting expenses of new teams).  Anyone know if that would be distributed to the current members or would the league retain it for future investment/expenses?

I'd say future investment like how they have been using the NCHC tournament money.

Just now, cberkas said:

I'd say future investment like how they have been using the NCHC tournament money.

I was under the impression they were keeping that as a rainy day fund in case UND doesn't make the NCHC tournament one year.  An extra $1 million seems like a lot to hold onto on top of what is already in reserve.  If they were to use the money to upgrade video streaming or something then it'd make sense.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I was under the impression they were keeping that as a rainy day fund in case UND doesn't make the NCHC tournament one year.  An extra $1 million seems like a lot to hold onto on top of what is already in reserve.  If they were to use the money to upgrade video streaming or something then it'd make sense.

Invest the money...."Pork bellies. I have a hunch..."

9 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

It does seem like UNLV has great things in place to make it happen such as arena options, low entry cost, competitive club team, and location.

If we could somehow speed up their entry having ASU and UNLV added to the NCHC seems to be logical.

The IHL Thunder used to play in the arena on UNLV's campus. I attended a game there and it's not a bad venue. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

The IHL Thunder used to play in the arena on UNLV's campus. I attended a game there and it's not a bad venue. 

Its full bowl and on campus, but it hasn't hosted hockey since 1999, I am curious if they still have the equipment for maintaining an ice sheet there, or if it has since been removed or sold. however I think the moral of this is that between Orleans, Thomas and Mack, and T-Mobile arena UNLV has no shortage of venues where it can play.

23 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I talked to a guy that played on the UW club team about the same time that this article was written and asked him about D1 hockey. He said unless there was someone that wanted to pony up a LOT of money, it wasn't likely to happen. Two of the arenas - in Everett and Kent - aren't realistic for UW to use. Kent is way too far from campus (25-30 miles and brutal traffic) and Everett isn't much closer. Both arenas have CHL teams that play there so scheduling could be difficult. Key Arena is pretty close to campus but I think it would be expensive to rent.

Key Arena has an obstructed view on the upper deck on one end.