SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Another person that isn't capable of strategic thinking.

My strategic thinking is based on reality and I know I have more insight to Minot State than you do.  I also know the state of the Minot St. hockey program at the time of the discussions to D2.

The consultants report for Simon Fraser should completed based on the time table given in April by the AD.  The consultant is the same as used for Moorhead.

1 hour ago, planet2county said:

My strategic thinking is based on reality and I know I have more insight to Minot State than you do.  I also know the state of the Minot St. hockey program at the time of the discussions to D2.

The consultants report for Simon Fraser should completed based on the time table given in April by the AD.  The consultant is the same as used for Moorhead.

So why exactly did Minot St move to DII?  It doesn't buy much, except an outlet for a chance at DI hockey.  Throw hockey out the window, and Minot State just accrued more bills.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So why exactly did Minot St move to DII?  It doesn't buy much, except an outlet for a chance at DI hockey.  Throw hockey out the window, and Minot State just accrued more bills.

They had little choice.  The DAC was imploding and they were looking at life as an NAIA independent.  i think they thought going DII and being in a stable conference such as the NSIC would be a better alternative than what they were facing in terms of cost and perception.

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Never thought they could afford DII.  Somehow they found money.  The only reason to go DII was so hockey could go DI later, as they have done zilch in DII but have higher bills.  But OK, if you insisted on underestimating Minot St.

Probably went D2 the same reason Mary did. Doubt it is related to hockey. 

NDSU grad and JohnboyND7 are accurate with their depictions. Concerned with changing landscape of college athletics in the area. Rumors of other schools in DAC exploring options.   Their approach at the time was similar to UND.  In 2005, DAC Presidents and AD's discussed whole conference moving up to D2.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

1 hour ago, NDSU grad said:

They had little choice.  The DAC was imploding and they were looking at life as an NAIA independent.  i think they thought going DII and being in a stable conference such as the NSIC would be a better alternative than what they were facing in terms of cost and perception.

It imploded thanks to Minot State.  But the more widespread North Star Conference was later berthed.  Minot State effectively raised athletic costs at all smaller ND institutions.

18 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It imploded thanks to Minot State.  But the more widespread North Star Conference was later berthed.  Minot State effectively raised athletic costs at all smaller ND institutions.

U Mary and Dakota State left before Minot State.  The conference was on shaky ground with or without Minot State.  But back to the topic at hand, they have arena issues and would need an endowment similar to what MSU-M was proposing to even stand a chance to start a hockey program.

On 11/14/2016 at 5:52 PM, NDSU grad said:

U Mary and Dakota State left before Minot State.  The conference was on shaky ground with or without Minot State.  But back to the topic at hand, they have arena issues and would need an endowment similar to what MSU-M was proposing to even stand a chance to start a hockey program.

The  ND SBOE would not impose criteria like Minnesota would.  Minot State already said they would have to raise like $6 mill, not $27 mill.  Six million is doable.

Dakota State is back in the North Star.  Neither Mary or Minot St have done anything in the NSIC.  They are like another Crookston or SW MN St.  Minot St envisions being like another Bemidji St.

I expect Ariz St and Simon Fraser to join the WCHA now, as that would create a western division where teams play 12 games against each other.  The rest of the WCHA would then only play one series against each of the western Teams, so they limit Alaskan trips to one per season.  Ariz St needs to be in an autobid situation for its program.  Once Ariz St gets its new rink, they will get an NCHC  offer.  The WCHA will need to replace ASU, and Minot may be the choice circa 2020.

1 minute ago, planet2county said:

Come on now, Minot St. won regular season soccer title and went to regionals.

Pretty quiet on the Simon Fraser front, reporter that broke story has not heard anything regarding consultant's report.

Like I said, Minot State has not accomplished much for spending millions more.

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The  ND SBOE would not impose criteria like Minnesota would.  Minot State already said they would have to raise like $6 mill, not $27 mill.  Six million is doable.

Dakota State is back in the North Star.  Neither Mary or Minot St have done anything in the NSIC.  They are like another Crookston or SW MN St.  Minot St envisions being like another Bemidji St.

I expect Ariz St and Simon Fraser to join the WCHA now, as that would create a western division where teams play 12 games against each other.  The rest of the WCHA would then only play one series against each of the western Teams, so they limit Alaskan trips to one per season.  Ariz St needs to be in an autobid situation for its program.  Once Ariz St gets its new rink, they will get an NCHC  offer.  The WCHA will need to replace ASU, and Minot may be the choice circa 2020.

Arizona State is not joining the WCHA.

UNLV will move to ACHA D1 next season and will play in the Vegas NHL practice arena. UNLV has Foley that will fund part but not all of UNLV's NCAA D1 team. UNLV has 2 arenas that they could use as a NCAA D1 team.

Arizona has a NCAA D1 caliber arena now, but the problem is lack of ice time/ice sheets in Tucson.

For other Pac12 schools to make the investment Arizona State has to start winning. The really need to stop with this "we want to play the best teams" attitude and start playing teams they can beat.

The Utah/Colorado situation

It would be good for hockey in Colorado if both Colorado and Colorado State would join Denver and Colorado College in NCAA D1 hockey. But the both have arena issues.

Utah has hinted to NCAA hockey and they could play where the ECHL team plays, arena might be too big but at least they have a arena close by.

Utah Valley, BYU, and Webber State all have arenas that could be easily renovated to meet NCAA D1 standards (5,000 seats) Utah Valley and BYU could share the Olympics Arena and the Olympic curling venue is where Weber State plays and it could be renovated to add seating.

Utah State has an arena that seats around 3,000.

I'd like to see the following make the jump to the NCAA D1 (non-B1G, nothing against the B1G):

Illinois State - They have the USHL arena there.

Iowa State - ACHA D1 power house.

Arizona - Has a NCAA D1 level arena.

UNLV - Orleans Arena is where them most likely will play at.

Utah - ECHL team there.

Utah Valley - Olympic arena.

BYU - Olympic arena.

Pitt - It seems odd they don't have a NCAA D1 team with the Penguins being good.

Cincinnati - the City has hosted the NCAA tournament and Miami being close to them. If they had a NCAA D1 team maybe the NCAA regionals would have more fans there.

Missouri - Like Iowa in prime area for recruiting USHL/St. Louis.

Missouri State - Same as Missouri for recruiting out of the USHL and St. Louis.

Lindenwood - St. Louis and USHL close got recruiting and there is a 10,000 seat arena not far from the school.

Montana State/Montana - I'd like to see them have hockey teams but until they have an arena won't happen.

NDSU - I know they say it will never happen, I still think with UND hosting NCAA regionals in Fargo they will see a money opportunity that they would like to get their hands on.

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Hedberg,  when he was still AD,  is on record stating it would take $3-$4 million annually to run a hockey program.  That would be a heck of a lot more than a $6 million endowment.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

Hedberg,  when he was still AD,  is on record stating it would take $3-$4 million annually to run a hockey program.  That would be a heck of a lot more than a $6 million endowment.  

There are major expenses the first year before a program starts.  Minot State just needs to show they can sell season tickets the first few years, as that practically guarantees break even.  An endowment should just be for an emergency, not continuous funding.

Minot State doesn't have any success in sports where fans actually attend games.   Hockey would draw even if they don't win.

3 hours ago, planet2county said:

Iowa State has been rumored to be on the verge for 20+ years.  It takes more than desire to make it happen, it will probably take a major donation to make it an actuality.  It would be great for area universities if Iowa St. could ever accomplish that desire.

Iowa State is afraid that Texas and Oklahoma will leave the Big12 next decade, which will devastate their large TV income.  If UT and OU start hockey, ISU will too as a move of support to keep them in the conference.

UW-M was mentioned as looking at hockey and football at one time.  The U gets free publicity.  The AD gets free publicity.  The AD can cross off the strategic planning portion of their resume.  The U may gain additional donor contacts even if they don't go.  The consultants report probably funded by donors.

As far Minot St. hockey, I have seen some message board speculators thinking they are going drop back to NAIA so they can compete in the new NAIA division of hockey.  I don't see that happening either.

If additional universities take up take D1 hockey great but it is not going to be decided on message boards. 

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

There are major expenses the first year before a program starts.  Minot State just needs to show they can sell season tickets the first few years, as that practically guarantees break even.  An endowment should just be for an emergency, not continuous funding.

Minot State doesn't have any success in sports where fans actually attend games.   Hockey would draw even if they don't win.

Minot doesn't have an arena that could generate anywhere close to $3 Million in revenue annually. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Minot doesn't have an arena that could generate anywhere close to $3 Million in revenue annually. 

3000 season tickets × 15 games × $ 30  / seat = $1.35 mill 

They will have to get money from their Beaver Club, just like the Bizon do.

Or charge more in student fees.

So Lake Superior St is going to drop hockey because they don't have enough ticket sales to cover the cost of the Program?

It would be huge for the city of Minot if Minot St can go DI.  All Seasons Arena would have to offer open dates.  This isn't club hockey.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So Lake Superior St is going to drop hockey because they don't have enough ticket sales to cover the cost of the Program?

It would be huge for the city of Minot if Minot St can go DI.  All Seasons Arena would have to offer open dates.  This isn't club hockey.

$30 per seat?  That's hilarious. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

They haven't played at the All Seasons Arena due to the idiocy of the State Fair Board. They would play at the Maysa. I haven't been in the new rink yet but I think it holds about 1500. 

7 minutes ago, southpaw said:

$30 per seat?  That's hilarious. 

Bemidji St charges up to $45 a ticket.  Suppose thats hilarious too in your small mind.

Minot St football takes in about $9 per seat, which gives revenue to Minot St a whopping 1600 x 5 games x $9 = $72 k revenue.

Which is better for Minot, football with massive scholarship needs, or hockey with more revenue potential?

Sioux Valley is the Pete Rose and Lance Armstrong of message boards when presented with evidence of the contrary.

So based on your posting, we should have a lot more D1 programs than currently exist and we will see plenty programs announcing moves to D1 in the next couple of years.

You are officially being ignored on this topic.

Good day.

• Upvote 1