SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

I was looking at USCHO earlier today and someone started a thread about SDSU (San Diego State) may be looking to start DI hockey.  He had no sources or links, just something he had heard.  So add the Aztecs to a long list of schools "rumored" to be looking at going DI in hockey.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I was looking at USCHO earlier today and someone started a thread about SDSU (San Diego State) may be looking to start DI hockey.  He had no sources or links, just something he had heard.  So add the Aztecs to a long list of schools "rumored" to be looking at going DI in hockey.

And my beer league hockey team is looking to go D-I as well.....D league that is. You heard it here first! Trainwreck hockey!

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Godsmack said:

If I'm interpreting dagies' post right, I think what he's saying is, be very cautious of the BIG's motives on anything they might propose as it's probably something self-serving. 

Clearly we're not married.   You understand me.

• Upvote 4

The only thing that worries me about the Big Ten trying to persuade us to make this arrangement is that they want to stay and 7 and keep the 8th spot open for ASU but not until we break them in through their growing pains and provide the stepping stone for them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #MACtion said:

The only thing that worries me about the Big Ten trying to persuade us to make this arrangement is that they want to stay and 7 and keep the 8th spot open for ASU but not until we break them in through their growing pains and provide the stepping stone for them.

Yeah, but if the NCHC breaks ASU in (say ASU gets to competing for NCHC home ice then bolts) the B1G will be sorry if they take them because the "M" schools won't get any more conference banners. ;):D 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, #MACtion said:

Wouldn't bother me as I think 8 is the ideal conference size for schedule purposes under current pair wise and I think NCHC performance has borne that out.

10 hours ago, #MACtion said:

I don't think you have to worry about that, Notre Dame was a low-risk affiliate add due to the fact that they are independent. The Big10 and the Pac12 are not going to do anything to help each other out and the Big10 doesn't care enough about hockey to make concessions to a PAC12 school. NCHC will likely add ASU if they don't they would just be ceding that money and voting power to the WCHA.

Over the last week (at various forums I haunt) I've seen some interesting names pop up. Thus, I bring you ...

The SWICH! -- The South West Ice Consortium for Hockey! 

Arizona State
UCLA
UNLV
SDSU
Utah

But you need some old guard "cred" so 
Denver
Colorado College
USAFA

That'll happen right after North Dakota joins the B1G as a hockey affiliate and the Alaska schools are both "option 1-ed" out of ice hockey by their legislature in Juneau.

All the above will happen right after I win PowerBall and MegaMillions in the same week. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Over the last week (at various forums I haunt) I've seen some interesting names pop up. Thus, I bring you ...

The SWICH! -- The South West Ice Consortium for Hockey! 

Arizona State
UCLA
UNLV
SDSU
Utah

But you need some old guard "cred" so 
Denver
Colorado College
USAFA

That'll happen right after North Dakota joins the B1G as a hockey affiliate and the Alaska schools are both "option 1-ed" out of ice hockey by their legislature in Juneau.

All the above will happen right after I win PowerBall and MegaMillions in the same week. 

If those schools really do start hockey, I can see Miami and W Mich going back to a WCHA without the Alaska schools, and then NCHC taking Mankato and Bemidji and going to two divisions.  Maybe splitting in two later.

MavPuck message board has been talking about Nebraska starting a hockey team. Just seems to be a bunch of bickering on there about it.

So MavPuck's twitter has come up with this earlier this month.

Mavpuck@Mavpuck Aug 6

The rebranding of the #UNO_Hockey Twitter account to #OmahaHKY is the clearest sign yet that #HuskerHockey is imminent. #inferioritycomplex

5 hours ago, NoDakFan said:

I mean that is a bit weird to rebrand like that. Can't say I'd be happy to see UNL make a team - I have a major hate for them.

It's a university-wide rebrand. Outside of the Midwest more people recognize the name Omaha vs UNO.