SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Based on what? 

They have geography and money in their favor with facilities on the way. 

Didn't take them long to be competitive in other sports and with the backing they have, it would pretty naive to say they are all that far off from anything.

Answered it yourself.

so your saying their team 2 years from now may be remotely competative...

Facilities open 2 years (barring delays) from now

3- 4 years at least from there for recruiting to benefit the on ice product (even with portal supplements)

They have current conference obligations .....

and in the meantime that's 6+ years of changing college hockey landscape... 

As much as the alumni and location benefit... its not the type of draw that ASU has and I don’t believe it's realistic to compare the two's ability to draw recruits as equal.

All things being said does anybody think they can win a battle vs Gophers for the MN kid?? No that's not reasonable to believe.

but by 10 years time.... its fair to see an established program be nationally competitive and fit within the structure (that we know today) that the NCHC is.

So to say St Thomas is 10 years away is a very rational and reasonable assertion.

• Upvote 1

so your saying their team 2 years from now may be remotely competitive...

No, I think they will be very competitive in 2/3 years.

The delay was working with the local community for the last two years to see if they could utilize a neighboring piece of property.  St. Paul said "No", they are now building on campus with a $75 million downpayment already received.  It will be ready by the 2025 season.

3- 4 years at least from there for recruiting to benefit the on ice product (even with portal supplements)

Programs recruit players to images of facilities all the time.  The benefits are going to be seen immediately.

True, conference transitions for scheduling are typically a couple of years.

No, sure what you are referring to...

As much as the alumni and location benefit... its not the type of draw that ASU has and I don’t believe it's realistic to compare the two's ability to draw recruits as equal.

True they are in different locations and have different strengths and weaknesses.  St. Thomas is sitting in one of the centers for college recruiting.  That is a big                  advantage.

All things being said does anybody think they can win a battle vs Gophers for the MN kid?? No that's not reasonable to believe.

They may not win recruiting battles head to head with U of M.  But they can beat UMD, Mankato St, and SCSU head to head.  And those programs compete will U of M just fine.  

but by 10 years time.... its fair to see an established program be nationally competitive and fit within the structure (that we know today) that the NCHC is. So to say St Thomas is 10 years away is a very rational and reasonable assertion.

So, we both agree that St. Thomas is going to be a national competitive program.  You are saying wait 10 years until they have proven themselves.  I say you are missing out on years of growth and opportunity for the conference overall.  It gets you scheduled games in the TC, it gets you additional conference revenue from both a marketing and attendance dollars.  It gets you regional media exposure.  BOTH sides of the equation win.  When both sides are winning you make the deal.

• Upvote 4

Re: current conference obligations. 

I only see ASU coming in if Miami departs.
Should that happen it might drive WMU back to Miami and BGSU. 
In that scenario, an amicable swap (WMU / StT) between conferences would be a plausible outcome. Each takes the other's conference schedule. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Answered it yourself.

so your saying their team 2 years from now may be remotely competative...

but by 10 years time.... its fair to see an established program be nationally competitive and fit within the structure (that we know today) that the NCHC is.

So to say St Thomas is 10 years away is a very rational and reasonable assertion.

takes how long for a startup d1 hockey program to be competittive you say...hey brad berry the coach of lindenwood is on line one

53 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

In that scenario, an amicable swap (WMU / StT) between conferences would be a plausible outcome. Each takes the other's conference schedule. 

ha..never thought about trading schools AND their schedules so they could be playing conference games right away?

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

takes how long for a startup d1 hockey program to be competittive you say...hey brad berry the coach of lindenwood is on line one

St. Thomas has had hockey since 1920. They were booted from MIAC because of athletic parity (they were too good). They won 13 conference championships. Granted, D1 is a big move, but it won't take long for them to be competitive. 

• Like 1

plus as how fragile the Summit League is by adding one more varsity sport it protects the league from being Non-compliant for lack of a better term if and when more schools leave and it isn't sponsoring enough sports to meet the minimum (i think summit is losing some men's soccer affiliates)

• 2 weeks later...

Le Moyne is jumping to D1 and their President and AD want to add both men's and women's hockey. Now Mike McMahon is saying it's a long shot on his pay site.

With Le Moyne’s jump to Division I, could hockey and football be on the way? (5 takeaways) - syracuse.com

The article is a pay site but somehow, I got around it.

Beretta said that he is a huge proponent of college hockey and that the school will look seriously at the possibility of adding both men’s and women’s hockey programs.

Syracuse University, the only Division I program in the city until this week, has a women’s program but only offers men’s club hockey

“We are huge proponents of hockey,” Beretta said. “I come from a hockey background at (Army). I was the executive chair of the Atlantic Hockey committee for several years. I sat a term on the NCAA rules committee. I’m a huge hockey person. If we had a rink that was on-campus, it would be a no-brainer.”

“The fact that our neighbors play hockey is very compelling,” Le Moyne President Linda LeMura said.

“There have been discussions about some development that might take place here in the area that would make it an absolute slam dunk for us,” Beretta said. “We’re going to take a look at (hockey) this summer. We’re right in the heartbeat of hockey and it makes so much sense for us. ... Long-term, you could see intercollegiate hockey here at this level.”

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

Le Moyne is jumping to D1 and their President and AD want to add both men's and women's hockey. Now Mike McMahon is saying it's a long shot on his pay site.

With Le Moyne’s jump to Division I, could hockey and football be on the way? (5 takeaways) - syracuse.com

The article is a pay site but somehow, I got around it.

I was today year's old when I first heard of Le Moyne College.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2023 at 7:57 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I just heard last week, and confirmed with an additional source, that ASU Hockey is formally applying to the NCHC conference. Living in Denver, with DU and CC right here, I love this. Hoping the process moves quickly and ASU is playing in the NCHC starting in the 2024-25 season.

2 hours ago, DenverDevil said:

I just heard last week, and confirmed with an additional source, that ASU Hockey is formally applying to the NCHC conference. Living in Denver, with DU and CC right here, I love this. Hoping the process moves quickly and ASU is playing in the NCHC starting in the 2024-25 season.

Yeah Brad mentioned this in his article last week.  Mentioned that they could be accepted into the league as soon as this summer, but wouldn't begin NCHC play until 24/25 or 25/26.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/daily-skate-arizona-state-continues-to-be-a-topic-with-the-nchc

Arizona State will officially submit its application in the coming days. Then, league membership comes down to a vote by the presidents of member schools, though the behind-the-scenes work is largely done by athletic directors.

It's unclear how soon the Sun Devils could join the league if accepted this summer. It would not be for 2023-24, though. It would be either 2024-25 or 2025-26.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I gotta think that it will be a one for one switch.  ASU comes in and Miami leaves…with no $ penalty for the Red Hawks.

I've heard that the league will let them leave when they pay the fee. 

16 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Its the new AAU college hockey, they call it varsity club hockey. Alabama now has 2 D1 teams, one in AAU and one in ACHA.

AAU is what CHF was. 

Yep. My daughter coaches the UJ Jimmies D1 ACHA women’s team 

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2023 at 2:46 PM, petey23 said:

Arizona State was 9 spots behind CC and 5 spots ahead of Miami last season.

ASU did beat #6 UND on neutral ice last season, 3-2

The last few years since covid, when ASU played every game on the road in the B1G, the program lost its early momentum. BUT, with the new arena and a great class and transfers coming in, we expect to be back up competing to make the NCAA Tourney. Obviously we're not in the same class as historic elite programs like UND and DU, but we should be consistently competitive. 

• Upvote 3