SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

34 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Has there been any talk from St. Thomas about joining the NCHC?

I imagine they would jump at the chance to join a league as prestigious as the NCHC. Of course, a lot of things would have to happen first. It is never too early to think about the next five and ten years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

NCHC (Summit?) East/West?

West - 

Air Force

Arizona State

Augustana

CC

DU

Omaha

East - 

Bemidji State

Minnesota State

Saint Cloud

Saint Thomas

Duluth

North Dakota 

Dont see it.. What's the advantage of going that big?  

Also, you guys not see Schlossmans article?

Leave the Summit out of it.

Has Miami stated they want to leave or is that speculation?

Add Arizona State.

I know Bowling Green wanted in a few years back, not sure if that still holds true.

If Miami left and Arizona State is added that would be alright. If Miami stays and Arizona State is added and they wanted a 10th I would say Bowling Green, Air Force, and St. Thomas would be best additions. Have to be a little careful with St. Thomas if the league is under The Summit flag as there is quite a bit of talk in the cities of St. Thomas moving most of their Athletic programs to The Big East at some time in the future.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Maybe it’s just me but I think MAC schools should be in the CCHA and summit schools in the NCHC. 

I don't think WMU for sure and Miami at least previously wanted to be in a conference with a bunch of division 2 schools and UND and Denver didn't want to be in a conference with a bunch of division 2 schools either and UNO obviously made it known that Hockey is the primary sport on their campus, St. Cloud had to beg and convince the other members they would be committed to hockey financially(and they have been true to their word) when the league could not come to an agreement with Notre Dame to be the 8th team. I remember seeing Motzko and Gasparini together in Grand Forks a couple of times(once at the Pepper) and if I remember correctly I think Gino lobbied on their behalf.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, petey23 said:

I don't think WMU for sure and Miami at least previously wanted to be in a conference with a bunch of division 2 schools and UND and Denver didn't want to be in a conference with a bunch of division 2 schools either and UNO obviously made it known that Hockey is the primary sport on their campus, St. Cloud had to beg and convince the other members they would be committed to hockey financially(and they have been true to their word) when the league could not come to an agreement with Notre Dame to be the 8th team. I remember seeing Motzko and Gasparini together in Grand Forks a couple of times(once at the Pepper) and if I remember correctly I think Gino lobbied on their behalf.

i do wonder about how safe CC is and maybe even UMD & SCSU are...maybe fenton wants "BIG TIME" schools only...

The only switch that will happen is

MIAMI out to CCHA

ASU in to NCHC

That's the only realistic change in the 5 to likely 10 year future.

NCHC under summit or a summit league is not going to happen, it would be foolish and absolutely not in the best interest of UND DU or UMD....  and frankly that's who matter and swing the biggest..... sticks.

Out past 10 years from now.. who knows, that all depends on the growth of D1 programs in the west, and a different conversation.

UND etc, isn't going to allow the NCHC to be watered down into an afterthought sport in a plucky low level also-ran league like the summit is in the grand scheme.

It's not happening, foolish to take it seriously.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The only switch that will happen is

MIAMI out to CCHA

ASU in to NCHC

That's the only realistic change in the 5 to likely 10 year future.

NCHC under summit or a summit league is not going to happen, it would be foolish and absolutely not in the best interest of UND DU or UMD....  and frankly that's who matter and swing the biggest..... sticks.

Out past 10 years from now.. who knows, that all depends on the growth of D1 programs in the west, and a different conversation.

UND etc, isn't going to allow the NCHC to be watered down into an afterthought sport in a plucky low level also-ran league like the summit is in the grand scheme.

who would you rather have as a conference member (remember you can still play OTHER schools OOC) ......as a fan and as a commish

Arizona State  or UM-Duluth

Air Force or CC

Bowling Green or SCSU

pretty easy for me....

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

who would you rather have as a conference member (remember you can still play OTHER schools OOC) ......as a fan and as a commish

Arizona State  or UM-Duluth

Air Force or CC

Bowling Green or SCSU

pretty easy for me....

Air force isn't joining the NCHC, unless the NCHC added Army. Plus, they'd have a very hard time competing on a year-to-year basis in the NCHC. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

DU and UND aren't going to allow the NCHC to be watered down into an afterthought sport in a plucky low level also-ran league like the summit is in the grand scheme.

FYP, and I agree. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

cc hasn't been relevant for ...........decades?

Seriously, there's not reason to have this discussion, the NCHC isn't going to add Airforce. If the NCHC added Air Force Acadamy to the conference it would water down the league. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Goon said:

Seriously, there's not reason to have this discussion, the NCHC isn't going to add Airforce. If the NCHC added Air Force Acadamy to the conference it would water down the league. 

agree if you say add AF and you kept cc but if we added AF and dropped CC that's a win for Summit hockey

1 minute ago, Godsmack said:

Even by AF’s own admission, I bet they wouldn’t want to join the NCHC. Between their tough academic standards and the fact that they can only recruit Americans, I think they’re happy in Atlantic hockey where, for the most part, they’ve been competitive. 

db7c78dc-2b5e-49cb-ab8d-1f2b96eed648_tex

WWGCD?