SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

14 hours ago, cberkas said:

They already use the practice facility and looks like they get a decent crowd at their games.

Climate Pledge Arena is also used by Seattle University men's basketball. So, Washington could play there. 

From what I can find Seattle doesn't have a club team anymore, but it would be a nice club rivalry between Washington and Seattle. 

Seattle also has put in to host the 2026 WJC along with Vegas, Tampa, and St Louis.

Vegas having the Frozen Four that year may preclude them from getting WJC.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Simon Fraser to NCHC to help with recruiting and getting games on TSN?  

Either way, it seems like the wheels for D1 hockey are in motion...   

Here's my question; if we have teams complaining about travel (I am pointing the finger in Miami's direction, they were grumbling about adding ASU) what makes anyone think they will be for adding Simon Frazier? 

7 minutes ago, Goon said:

Here's my question; if we have teams complaining about travel (I am pointing the finger in Miami's direction, they were grumbling about adding ASU) what makes anyone think they will be for adding Simon Frazier? 

I don't know about the NCHC, but adding another Division I program is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Goon said:

Gotta start somewhere.  They would be huge for recruiting in Canada as well.  Once the moratorium on single sport conferences end, the independents will start a conference.  LIU, Stonehill, and Lindenwood already travel to Alaska as it is.  They will start a conference together for the auto bid.

• Upvote 1

Simon Fraser currently has, by my count, 7 D1 games scheduled so far this year.

Michigan
BU
BC
CC
Robert Morris
Lake Superior
Long Island

Does anyone have a link to the excel doc that someone put together with all of the D1 hockey schedules released so fat?  Could have been from USCHO, but I can't find it, and I want to see if Simon Fraser has any other games scheduled that I missed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 12:36 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I finally got around to reading this. 

Actually, I am leaving UNC to take a job with the AAA Wasatch Renegades in Utah. Growing up in Minnesota, the AAA level will be a new challenge for me and that area has some talent. Adam Douda will be taking over. He played four years at Colgate, some pro hockey and was an assistant at Manhattanville. UNC wants to move to NCAA DI. The Boosters have made that clear and it’s not a matter of if but when it will happen. We have people who are looking at building sites and ideas and the money will be there to fund the project. The excitement on campus and with our alumni group after the outdoor game and the last couple seasons have lit a fire. Hopefully some of our neighbors will follow us to DI hockey.

Coach Jeff Volkman

This did stand out to me. 

• Upvote 1

With these grand plans of teams moving to DI, UND had better be planning "the future" of hockey also and what resources that'll take. Gifts from the Engelstad Family Trust are greatly appreciated, but I foresee needing more than just their goodwill. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

With these grand plans of teams moving to DI, UND had better be planning "the future" of hockey also and what resources that'll take. Gifts from the Engelstad Family Trust are greatly appreciated, but I foresee needing more than just their goodwill. 

We cannot rely on just one donor, not as a Division I institution.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Seems to be that the consensus around here is that we want more D1 teams in hockey, and I suppose that is good for hockey in general.

My opinion is that it is a bad thing for UND hockey in the long run. The more options elite players have in warmer climates and more prestigious colleges/cities, the less interest they'll have in little ole Grand Forks.

Heck, around here you can't even walk home from a party barefoot without getting frost bite during most of the school year.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Very true.  I suppose with all of the NHL guys UND has produced, there is a huge opportunity to cultivate donations from them, especially with the precedent set by Ralph.  I have always just assumed that they make donations anonymously or work with the Engelstad Foundation to help fund the major projects we've seen.  Could be wrong though.  I'm sure there are a ton of older hockey Alumns that donate and I just don't recognize their names.  I'd think the money will be there for hockey if ever really needed.  Biggest issue I guess is that many who only care about hockey might see that it is well funded currently, and may not think donations would help, but donating to hockey would free up money to other programs and that would be huge. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, N of GF said:

Seems to be that the consensus around here is that we want more D1 teams in hockey, and I suppose that is good for hockey in general.

My opinion is that it is a bad thing for UND hockey in the long run. The more options elite players have in warmer climates and more prestigious colleges/cities, the less interest they'll have in little ole Grand Forks.

Heck, around here you can't even walk home from a party barefoot without getting frost bite during most of the school year.

I am not part of the consensus, especially when it comes to big schools.  We have seen in other sports that some of these programs are of the mind that if you aren't cheating you aren't trying.  I would hate for a sport like hockey, which has always been fairly good at playing by the rules, to be dragged into the cesspool that has been NCAA basketball and football.  But ultimately if there could be money involved, I imagine a lot of these schools may be entering the picture, so as stated, UND better have a plan in place to be competitive with the changing environment.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, N of GF said:

Valid point.  I would have certainly been tempted by an ASU offer (had I been good enough to be recruited).  But then again, I chose to pay to attend UND when I could have paid to attend ASU or any other school in the south.  Weather certainly isn't everything.  

UND will always have enough funding, facilities, tradition, and fan the fan base to compete for D1 titles, even if a bunch of other schools add the sport.  Would it be harder, yes.  But if there were 100 or so programs, stretching coast to coast, a championship would mean a heck of a lot more, there would be more national interest, tv viewership would be better, and there would be more potential for greater sponsorship and tv revenue.  The NCAA would probably draw a ton more national interest as well.  The profile of the university as a whole would also improve as well.  Less winning, maybe.  But I think it would be more fun to win a title that has national interest rather than regional interest only.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tnt said:

I am not part of the consensus, especially when it comes to big schools.  We have seen in other sports that some of these programs are of the mind that if you aren't cheating you aren't trying.  I would hate for a sport like hockey, which has always been fairly good at playing by the rules, to be dragged into the cesspool that has been NCAA basketball and football.  But ultimately if there could be money involved, I imagine a lot of these schools may be entering the picture, so as stated, UND better have a plan in place to be competitive with the changing environment.  

It will happen regardless with the Big Ten involved.  Heck, someone apparently tried to poach a Gopher recruit by offering 75K.

On 8/22/2023 at 9:29 AM, nodak651 said:

Simon Fraser currently has, by my count, 7 D1 games scheduled so far this year.

Michigan
BU
BC
CC
Robert Morris
Lake Superior
Long Island

Does anyone have a link to the excel doc that someone put together with all of the D1 hockey schedules released so fat?  Could have been from USCHO, but I can't find it, and I want to see if Simon Fraser has any other games scheduled that I missed.

Michigan ducking Simon Fraiser :whistling:

Teams don't play this early unless they go play a couple European pro teams (I think UConn did this year and Michigan Tech did a few years ago) or do what Arizona State did in China. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 1:52 AM, cberkas said:

Michigan ducking Simon Fraiser :whistling:

Teams don't play this early unless they go play a couple European pro teams (I think UConn did this year and Michigan Tech did a few years ago) or do what Arizona State did in China. 

Interesting development.