SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

5 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

CC is turning the corner. Mayotte had done a lot already with Haviland’s kids. They did advance to the championship game of the Frozen Faceoff and have shown a compete level they didn’t under the previous leadership. I don’t see CC going anywhere, not to mention, DU would not support getting rid of them either. 

but you have to look at thru the eyes of a commish (fenton)...what does a d3 school like CC bring to the conference in terms of $, competition, and or eyeballs?  CC really doesn't do anything for summit hockey as an affiliate.

20 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

CC is turning the corner. Mayotte had done a lot already with Haviland’s kids. They did advance to the championship game of the Frozen Faceoff and have shown a compete level they didn’t under the previous leadership. I don’t see CC going anywhere, not to mention, DU would not support getting rid of them either. 

I think Mr. @Godsmack has a very good point, CC is headed in the right decision, their coach Mayotte is legit. I think CC will continue to be a valued member of our conference. Seriously! The conference isn't going to boot them out. Fenton is running the NCHC anymore. Doesn't sound like the NCHC schools are going to follow under the Summit. 

13 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

but you have to look at thru the eyes of a commish (fenton)...what does a d3 school like CC bring to the conference in terms of $, competition, and or eyeballs?  CC really doesn't do anything for summit hockey as an affiliate.

57 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think Mr. @Godsmack has a very good point, CC is headed in the right decision, their coach Mayotte is legit. I think CC will continue to be a valued member of our conference. Seriously! The conference isn't going to boot them out. Fenton is running the NCHC anymore. Doesn't sound like the NCHC schools are going to follow under the Summit. 

it's a done deal....it's happening soon...

59 minutes ago, Goon said:

and you didn't answer the q...what does CC bring to the table thru the eyes of Fenton?

he is trying to make the Summit a stable conference instead of a revolving door conference and one of those tasks is getting a core group of regionally based schools to stay together instead of jumping to greener pastures (and you can't fault those schools for doing so)...

and you used the word booted....no one is betting booted...just not "invited". fenton will "invite" the 3 summit schools to join the Summit and St Thomas for a core of 4 and then look to "invite" 4-6 affiliate schools to join the summit league...UMD, SCSU, Miami, W Michigan, Bowling Green, AF, ASU, Minny St, CC ,and  Augie are all in the running for those spots....

and part of what fenton is doing is trying to lock up St Thomas from jumping ship in five years...He wants them long long term and a hockey conference with larger d1 schools in larger markets will help keep the Tommies around hopefully for a long time

a hockey conference of all d1 schools would a nice selling point for keeping them around

UND, St Thomas, Omaha, Denver, ASU, Miami, Western Michigan, and then BGreen or AF would be nice

and olym of

UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, Omaha, Denver, Oral Rob, KC, Western Ill, St Thomas, would be nice

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

it's a done deal....it's happening soon...

No it's not. 

Although a couple of NCHC teams backed the idea of moving under the Summit's umbrella, others balked and it does not appear there's a large enough consensus to make such a move at this time. (Link)

• Upvote 4

Although a couple of NCHC teams backed the idea of moving under the Summit's umbrella, others balked and it does not appear there's a large enough consensus to make such a move at this time.

jeez i wonder which schools want to do this (und, omaha, and denver (and st thomas)...and which ones don't ....CC, Miami, Western, duluth, and scsu?

AFA is NEVER leaving Atlantic Hockey, their coach said when asked years ago when the WCHA added Omaha. "Why don't you join the WCHA?" He said "We couldn't compete in the conference with the recruit we can get, and we are competitive in Atlantic Hockey. 

Time to drop the AFA is leaving Atlantic hockey when it's never happening. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Although a couple of NCHC teams backed the idea of moving under the Summit's umbrella, others balked and it does not appear there's a large enough consensus to make such a move at this time.

jeez i wonder which schools want to do this (und, omaha, and denver (and st thomas)...and which ones don't ....CC, Miami, Western, duluth, and scsu?

I'm going to bet UND and DU didn't want it and only Omaha or two non-Summit schools wanted it.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

AFA is NEVER leaving Atlantic Hockey, their coach said when asked years ago when the WCHA added Omaha. "Why don't you join the WCHA?" He said "We couldn't compete in the conference with the recruit we can get, and we are competitive in Atlantic Hockey. 

Time to drop the AFA is leaving Atlantic hockey when it's never happening. 

coach doesn't call the shots......

the president does...and times change?

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

What makes you think that UND wants to fall under the Summit?

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

What makes you think that UND wants to fall under the Summit?

first of all what does it matter.......it's just a name change if no one comes or goes so you save money and raise national awareness/street cred

second...they are already in the Summit League ffs

quiz the average sioux fan in grand forks and tell him to name the 3 confereces UND is in and sit back have fun........

ncc, midcon, missouri valley football subdivision conference, pioneer league, big sky, wcha, ccha,  big falls at the summitt, full member of missouri valley confernce.....

fenton is gonna fix this

Summit!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

first of all what does it matter.......it's just a name change if no one comes or goes so you save money and raise national awareness/street cred

second...they are already in the Summit League ffs

Ok.  How does streaming work?  Are hockey TV rights negotiated with all other Summit sports?  How does media rev get split?  Look at how CAA football affiliates got shafted in the latest CAA deal.  Who decides the format of Summit hockey playoffs?  Is the tournament played at the same time as Summit basketball?  Does NDSU have any say in decisions that affect UND hockey?  

What does it matter?  Seriously?  At least think a little bit before posting.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

Ok.  How does streaming work?  Are hockey TV rights negotiated with all other Summit sports?  How does media rev get split?  Look at how CAA football affiliates got shafted in the latest CAA deal.  Who decides the format of Summit hockey playoffs?  Is the tournament played at the same time as Summit basketball?  Does NDSU have any say in decisions that affect UND hockey?  

What does it matter?  Seriously?  At least think a little bit before posting.

you make it sound like no other conference has affiliates? if you don't like the terms the affiliates are being offered?  hit the bricks CC and jan brady state

fenton will take are of these issues...easy stuff.