SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The label, is it more of a "funding" or what teams can and can not do thing?

I don't really have an answer.  In theory, D1 means more funding, more support, more practice time, etc. when you research the differences on the web.  In reality, I'm not sure about that.  One thing I read online is that the difference between the two is that D1 has more full-time coaches and recruits more heavily than D2.  I am not sure about that anymore as the D2 schools had dedicated coaches and recruited just as hard and the programs were run very similarly.

You only need to look inside the state of North Dakota to see how confusing it is.  Jamestown (D1) and UMary (D2) are top 15 programs in their respective decisions.  UMary has played and beaten Jamestown as well as other D1 schools.  D1 schools play D2 schools.  D2 schools beat D1 schools.  My takeaway is that if you're looking at Top 15 D1 or D2, either way, they are going to be strong, comparable programs.

Full disclosure, my oldest went through the AAA/Juniors route and was recruited by ACHA D1 and D2 programs, Top 15 programs in each division.  He ended up choosing a D2 school because after a visit and the Spring Skates (discussed in the article) he just liked it the best.  Comparing the different programs, they were all really similar, costs about the same, dedicated locker rooms, number of practices per week, full time coaching staffs, quality of players on the roster (all had players with junior/AAA experience), some had better fan support than others.  In the end it really came down to the school and cost of that school and personal connections.  I will say that there was a private school in the Midwest that came through with an impressive financial package but he ultimately decided not to go there, not a good fit, just didn't see himself there sort of thing.

Also true from the article is that a lot of recruiting is done by current players on the team, word of mouth.  The hockey world is small and these kids talk.  He knows players on the team that he played Juniors with and they were in his ear about coming there before his last season of Juniors even started. 

The school he is going to practices 3 times a week, travels plenty, 35 games per season, and is one of the most popular teams on campus pulling in about 1,500 per game.  Cost for the season is $2,000. That is CHEAP compared to what I have spent on hockey over the years.  I'll spend that much travelling to 3 Mite tournaments with my youngest this season (yes, you heard that right and if you can do math...).

• Upvote 1

@Yote 53 Have you heard anything on the status of Iowa State's club program?  They were suspended by the university and had to be restructured before bringing the team back.  I think they will play again starting this year or next year.  Do you know if they will continue to have a competitive program moving forward, or did the university basically destroy the program?

24 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

@Yote 53 Have you heard anything on the status of Iowa State's club program?  They were suspended by the university and had to be restructured before bringing the team back.  I think they will play again starting this year or next year.  Do you know if they will continue to have a competitive program moving forward, or did the university basically destroy the program?

So, the school investigated and punished the school for hazing. The school shut down the men's teams until this summer. 

University suspends, sanctions Men’s Cyclone Hockey Club • News Service • Iowa State University (iastate.edu)

MensHockeyClubSummaryofInvestigations2022.pdf (iastate.edu)

Looks like they will be back this coming season

Men’s Hockey Club overcomes final obstacles to return from suspension – Iowa State Daily

• Like 1

I don't have any specifics about the situation at Iowa State or elsewhere, but would anyone be surprised if schools (especially the P5s) were disproportionately hard on club teams because they either can't or won't take action when the varsity programs screw up?  Also, I suspect that club sports are more intimately tied up with academics and student life than their varsity counterparts, and certain administrators who don't have direct jurisdiction over athletics (but quietly wished they did) might like to flex because it makes them feel like they are accomplishing something.

17 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Good question.  I have heard they are coming back this year.  I do not know if they will come back at the same competitive level or how their structure has changed.  I know a few ISU hockey alumni that may know something about the program.  I'll have to inquire next time we talk.

2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Big Ten Commish just came out and said they are not looking at further expansion.

Posturing.
They don't want to leave any forensic evidence on the PAC's body, but they did it. ;) 

My guess:
CU goes; UA goes; ASU and UU get wobbly; UW and UO beg B1G for slot (at half share). B1G can claim they didn't do it. 

CU bragged a decade ago that the academic profile with the PAC was a better “fit” with their higher academic standards than that of the lowly Big 12 (and all those fly over state schools; KU, KSU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, etc). At the end of the day, they’re coming back home. It’s all about the $. 

• Upvote 2

Big Ten should make adding a hockey team (with lacrosse or field hockey as the title IX match) a condition of joining the conference. If they are going to give money to the new schools, tell them how to spend it.

This is in reference to the report of Big Ten meeting to discuss the addition of some Pac X schools.

10 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Big Ten should make adding a hockey team (with lacrosse or field hockey as the title IX match) a condition of joining the conference. If they are going to give money to the new schools, tell them how to spend it.

This is in reference to the report of Big Ten meeting to discuss the addition of some Pac X schools.

Will B1G take more PAC schools than just USC/UCLA? Likely.
Will they be getting full B1G shares at first? Likely not.
Will they get more than if stayed in PAC? Likely.

But much of the difference will be eaten up in travel costs. 

33 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Will B1G take more PAC schools than just USC/UCLA? Likely.
Will they be getting full B1G shares at first? Likely not.
Will they get more than if stayed in PAC? Likely.

But much of the difference will be eaten up in travel costs. 

It'll be interesting to see what % of the annual 70 million they offer.

Just now, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

It'll be interesting to see what % of the annual 70 million they offer.

If you say "half" I'll still probably take the under. Offer $30-32M and they'll bite. Why? Rumor was the PAC deal presented this week was $20M plus incentive kickers to maybe $25M. But that difference will be eaten up in travel. But claiming B1G membership is long-term value. You take $30M. 

I'll take the over as I think the extra content probably allows the Big Ten to take some of that Apple cash for a mini package, with each west coast team getting 3 late night games. Perfect place to stash those USC Rutgers and Oregon Minnesota type games.  Maybe a basketball game of the week al a the Apple MLB games. 

2 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I'll take the over as I think the extra content probably allows the Big Ten to take some of that Apple cash for a mini package, with each west coast team getting 3 late night games. Perfect place to stash those USC Rutgers and Oregon Minnesota type games.  Maybe a basketball game of the week al a the Apple MLB games. 

My "$30-32M and they'll bite" number ... :whistling:
https://twitter.com/Matt_Fortuna/status/1687585734658592768?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1687585734658592768|twgr^32bd0148694778f973b490b32b0803e15b176321|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcsnbbs.com%2Fthread-974435.html 

11 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Washington has free reign on one of the world's premier hockey cities just over the border, a major airport in town, and can use the Kraken practice facility that's a few miles from campus while they figure out the arena situation.

They already use the practice facility and looks like they get a decent crowd at their games.

Climate Pledge Arena is also used by Seattle University men's basketball. So, Washington could play there. 

From what I can find Seattle doesn't have a club team anymore, but it would be a nice club rivalry between Washington and Seattle. 

Seattle also has put in to host the 2026 WJC along with Vegas, Tampa, and St Louis.