SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Remember, more conferences equals more auto bids.  This makes it more challenging for the power conferences to get more schools in the tourney, such as one that UND would likely be in.  This is also presuming a tourney would remain at 16 teams versus a 20 team format where 4 and 5 seeds could theoretically do play-in games the day before playing the 1 seed in a regional.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:28 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

UMKC was mentioned as exploring hockey a while back, wonder if that is still a possibility.

Interesting development.  Lot may be a bit small for hockey (roughly 265ft x 275ft), but it could potentially work.  Guessing they are looking at a basketball facility though.

15 hours ago, Humboldt said:

Hopefully, the NCHC resolves the Miami situation in Naples this week.

https://letsgodu.com/2023/04/27/miami-hockeys-future-may-be-in-balance-at-naples-nchc-meetings/

Waiving the fee sets a precedent that I don't think the conference should go down. I know a lot has changed since the NCHC has formed but ultimately they had to have known that coming out west year after year was going to be costly. 

51 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Waiving the fee sets a precedent that I don't think the conference should go down. I know a lot has changed since the NCHC has formed but ultimately they had to have known that coming out west year after year was going to be costly. 

Think of it more like them being booted, only its mutual.  ASU is an upgrade so I see no issue.  ASU can pay a hefty entrance fee in excess of one mil though if miami's fee is waived.

If Miami sincerely wants out, and if there was a drop-in ready replacement for them, I'd let them out, but they pay a reduced exit fee, enough to cover the league's transition expenses. 

However, I fear that puts WMU on an island. They'd likely be the next shoe to drop. A straight trade (StT/WMU) would keep balances and alignments and get a Summit member with the other Summit/NCHC members. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If Miami sincerely wants out, and if there was a drop-in ready replacement for them, I'd let them out, but they pay a reduced exit fee, enough to cover the league's transition expenses. 

However, I fear that puts WMU on an island. They'd likely be the next shoe to drop. A straight trade (StT/WMU) would keep balances and alignments and get a Summit member with the other Summit/NCHC members. 

reduced fee with a replacement university = only feasible way to still drive home the originally point of making it hard to exit.

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Would hate to lose Western out of this...they've been a very good program over the past two seasons; at least according to the Pairwise.

• Like 1

ASU should be in if they are willing regardless of what Miami does. I’m not so sure about discount exit fee unless they vote to change exit fees for everyone. If they do this for one school precedent is set and it makes it easier for other schools to leave including WMU. The NCHC should be considering Michigan Tech and or NMU, Mankato, Bemidji, St. Thomas and Augustana to name a few, (there may be others) as to whether or not ( and if so when) addition of any or all of these teams would be beneficial or detrimental to the conference. Worst case would be losing 2 teams and no replacements. I’m not a fan of hockey under the Summit umbrella yet. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

ASU should be in if they are willing regardless of what Miami does. I’m not so sure about discount exit fee unless they vote to change exit fees for everyone. If they do this for one school precedent is set and it makes it easier for other schools to leave concluding WMU. The NCHC should be considering Michigan Tech and or NMU, Mankato, Bemidji, St. Thomas and Augustana to name a few, (there may be others) as to whether or not ( and if so when) addition of any or all of these teams would be beneficial or detrimental to the conference. Worst case would be losing 2 teams and no replacements. I’m not a fan of hockey under the Summit umbrella yet. 

ASU has done everything to create a viable hockey program that will contend for championships in the years to come. The NCHC shouldn't be dragging their feet on this one and just let them in. Who cares if its 9 teams in a conference, the highest seed can get a bye in the conference tournament.

• Upvote 4

Just now, nodak651 said:

Any guesses how the TV situation will be worked out with NCHC.TV?  Will ASU fully participate?

For that matter, does the NCHC have a multi year deal with CBSSN or is it something that's on a year to year basis?

On 4/28/2023 at 10:28 AM, iramurphy said:

ASU should be in if they are willing regardless of what Miami does. I’m not so sure about discount exit fee unless they vote to change exit fees for everyone. If they do this for one school precedent is set and it makes it easier for other schools to leave including WMU. The NCHC should be considering Michigan Tech and or NMU, Mankato, Bemidji, St. Thomas and Augustana to name a few, (there may be others) as to whether or not ( and if so when) addition of any or all of these teams would be beneficial or detrimental to the conference. Worst case would be losing 2 teams and no replacements. I’m not a fan of hockey under the Summit umbrella yet. 

what's the difference?

47 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Potentially taking orders from and appeasing someone that doesn't take hockey seriously if Fenton leaves. They need to make it known they are all in on hockey as the conference's niche, a la PAC-xx schools investing in Olympic sports.

if the new summit hockey included commish doesn't realize that d1 hockey a. makes money and b. can actually win a true d1 title they be stupid

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if the new summit hockey included commish doesn't realize that d1 hockey a. makes money and b. can actually win a true d1 title they be stupid

We’ll, there’s a lot of stupid out there.

1 hour ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

NCHC (Summit?) East/West?

West - 

Air Force

Arizona State

Augustana

CC

DU

Omaha

East - 

Bemidji State

Minnesota State

Saint Cloud

Saint Thomas

Duluth

North Dakota 

Would there be an automatic bid from the east and one from the west?  And lets move the NCHC operation to Bemidji State.