SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Incredibly difficult schedule.  Including two games vs minot state.  Just released.

https://www.sfuhockey.com/news/release-sfu-red-leafs-hockey-announces-non-conference-schedule-for-2023-24

FULL SCHEDULE (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

09.08.23 @ UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA | 7:00pm PDT

09.09.23 @ TRINITY WESTERN UNIVERSITY | 12.30pm PDT

09.22.23 vs. BRIERCREST COLLEGE | 7:00pm PDT

09.23.23 vs. BRIERCREST COLLEGE | 7:00pm PDT

09.30.23 @ UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN | 4:00pm PDT

10.07.23 @ COLORADO COLLEGE | 6:00pm PDT

10.20.23 @ ADRIAN COLLEGE | 4:00pm PDT

10.21.23 @ LAKE SUPERIOR STATE UNIVERSITY | 4:00pm PDT

11.03.23 @ UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH | 4:00pm PDT

11.04.23 @ ROBERT MORRIS UNIVERSITY | 4:00pm PDT

11.17.23 vs. TRINITY WESTERN UNIVERSITY | 7:00pm PST

11.18.23 vs. TRINITY WESTERN UNIVERSITY | 7:00pm PST

11.25.23 @ LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY | 4:00pm PST

11.26.23 @ ARCADIA UNIVERSITY | 4:00pm PST

01.05.24 @ BOSTON UNIVERSITY | 4:00pm PST

01.06.24 @ BOSTON COLLEGE | 4:00pm PST

01.27.24 vs. UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA | 7:00pm PST

02.16.24 @ MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY | 5:30pm PST

02.17.24 @ MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY | 5:30pm PST

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

UNLV has standing room only in a small rink. Electric atmosphere but I don't see them hitting the big time anytime soon.

1 hour ago, omahasioux1 said:

UNLV has standing room only in a small rink. Electric atmosphere but I don't see them hitting the big time anytime soon.

Not without someone building them a rink on campus. Too bad the AHL rink wasn't done that way.

A higher level of club hockey in the area makes it easier for USC or Arizona to elevate if they ever get (and accept) a golden goose. Those are the two to watch in the region.

21 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Not without someone building them a rink on campus. Too bad the AHL rink wasn't done that way.

A higher level of club hockey in the area makes it easier for USC or Arizona to elevate if they ever get (and accept) a golden goose. Those are the two to watch in the region.

Being in Tucson I would love U of A to start a Division 1 hockey program.  More chances to catch the Sioux for some live in-person games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Their goal is to start with a club program that will begin play in the 2024-25 season. In 2025-26, TSU will have a "hybrid season" in which it will seek to play a mix of club teams and Division I teams with the belief that TSU will be a full-fledged D-I program by the 2026-27 campaign.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

Austin Peay?  Antarctic Blue. The sports wagon!  This isn’t even the right model.

B9A700D2-4805-4E19-9250-B45683BDF0D9.thumb.webp.49309618c364b824cbc60382f2146d97.webp

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 4:14 PM, cberkas said:

https://clarksvillenow.com/local/apsu-announces-new-club-hockey-team-first-step-toward-ncaa-sanctioned-sport-at-ford-ice-center/

The new Austin Peay club hockey team plans to compete in the College Hockey South association and, according to Athletics Director Gerald Harrison, this is the first step toward building an NCAA-sanctioned college hockey team.

“When you look at it, there’s some things we need to do,” Harrison said. “We’re going to get some great sample size; we’re going to see the energy and passion in the community, as well as the students. If this works itself out and grows, then sure we’ll have the opportunity to look at that going into the future. But this is the first step of many.”

Just now, cberkas said:

There have been a few teams moving up to ACHA D1. 

Yeah, I think Oregon and San Diego did last year.  Collegiate Consulting who does the NHL feasibility studies tweeted and then deleted a tweet that said San Diego was doing a study.  The university later denied it.  Smoke is there... something was discussed.  Collegiate Consulting did the same thing with Navy, who was reportedly close to pulling the trigger.  San Diego will need clarity with their conference situation before they take any steps obviously.  

Greg Flugar reported that Oregon told the Big Ten at one point that they would be willing to start a hockey program.

Iowa State is finally back, after their program was suspended and shut down for a year or two.

Of course, new programs at FBS schools would be amazing and great for the growth of the game, but I think if I got to choose two schools to add hockey, I'd maybe look at Green Bay and Milwaukee.  Both schools already have arenas that would work and it would be great for travel and the budgets of the CCHA programs.  Better visibility in Wisconsin and in Milwaukee (near Chicago) would be great for the game as well.  

I think Roosevelt, which is moving to D2 currently, could be a school that has the potential to suprise everyone with an announcement, as well.  They play out of the Blackhawks old practice facility.