SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

Acually, I'm stunned at GPL this morning...here's a short summary.

- definitely over-achieved all season...

- silver trophy isn't bad...

- beat North Dakota with .6 seconds left...anything else would have been gravy...

Which contradicts their attitude prior to the game, when many of their fans were talking about "not being afraid of Union" and how Union hadn't faced a team all season as fast as UMN. Haha. Long live tArrogance! ;)

According to The Don, a bunch of over-aged Canadians. LOL. As an aside, I have often wondered why the Boston Bruins fans like to chant USA when in reality most of their lineup is Canadian. players.

Also after seeing the heroes of dinkytown link I am left wondering why some say the Neanderthals are extinct:

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/25224406/mugshots-10-arrested-in-dinkytown

Anyone have a link to Don's comments on Union's overaged Canadiens?

- beat North Dakota with .6 seconds left...anything else would have been gravy...

I went to see if GPL was stull up and running after the game. It went from this is going to be easy a easy win, to Union is going to get beat down, and the EZAC doesn't have a chance against the might Gophers. One Minnesota fan was right about Minnesota putting up 4 goals on Union just left out the 7 goal the Union scored. It went from were winning to fire Don in about 4 post on there.

The arrogance is strong on GPL.

They called a trip on Minnesota and it was painfully clear that the Union player easily could've been called for a dive. The replay and announcers were right-that Union sold that dive well.

I'm not sympathetic to Gopher fans considering it sounds like the Gophers were diving a lot in Thursday's game (I didn't get to see it up in Winnipeg as TSN inexplicably didn't televise it until Friday but yet they showed the Union/BC game live).

I believe 0.6 was in reference to their GPA.

Gofer fans celebrate 0.6 which represents....

GPA (as stated above)

Blood Alcohol Content

IQ of the geniuses arrested in the UM riots

Highest score for one of Kyle Rau's dives this year

Conversion of kilometers to miles-they love the metric system

The length of their **** in centimeters

• Upvote 1

What is dinky town ? A developed housing project for students ? Like the one going in north of the Alerus center ?

Its on the north side of University Ave just across from campus and adjacent to frat row. It is home to a bunch of businesses. There is off campus housing adjacent to it to the north as well.

At the Minneapolis campus you really have Stadium village- area east of campus (Washington Ave) that is where the SuperBlock of dorms is located, Sally's, the U hospital- and the stadiums (hence the name)

Then you have dinkytown as described, Marcy Holmes- area west of 35W- lots of apartments

West bank- other side of Mississippi home to 7 corners, adjacent to Cedar-Riverside

Wow how embarrassing it must be for most Minnesotan to see that. That is totally classless on the part of those dinkytown rioters and I am just embarrassed for the good people in that state because I know they do exist and most are good people. UND will have it's revenge on the gophers soon enough.

Can't say they over achieved when they were number one basically all season. They were a different group than typical "great" Gopher teams. This team did not dominate play ever and never really shelled top level opponents. Wilcox really was the difference between the Gophers and a dozen teams. The team showed serious cracks the weekend in Madison, giving up soft goals, getting outplayed for most of the weekend. To their credit they bounced back and Wilcox won the league title with a great showing in Yost.

OSU was way better than them in the playoffs. In the NCAAS they had a great draw. SCSU and UND took out arguably tougher teams and again to the Gophs credit they played well. The last game they played a team they could have beaten, but I don't think they could claim to have the better team in any way. Great team and Union is a worthy champ.

I find it odd that the Minnesota college fan base decided to riot after a win in semi final game. I now see why the Don has decided that the UND Minnesota rivalry is unhealthy, if after every game Dinkytown is going to be ripped apart by its own fan base.

• Upvote 2

I find it odd that the Minnesota college fan base decided to riot after a win in semi final game. I now see why the Don has decided that the UND Minnesota rivalry is unhealthy, if after every game Dinkytown is going to be ripped apart by its own fan base.

One can only imagine the rioting in Dumbass Town if UND had beaten Minnesota Thursday. The IDS Tower would be a smoldering crater ... and yes I know the tower is downtown but idiocy spreads. ;)

I agree, but that's the company line over at GPL. Well, that and the "24 year olds" one that's currently being tossed around...

I would love to have sioux teams with several 23 and 24 year old upper classmen.

Union had 2. So did Minnesota. Myth...busted.

Surprised that is all, based on comments by Melrose and co. Everyone has some, if their frosh coming from juniors stay 4 years. Makes Lucia ' excuses even more ridiculous.

One can only imagine the rioting in Dumbass Town if UND had beaten Minnesota Thursday. The IDS Tower would be a smoldering crater ... and yes I know the tower is downtown but idiocy spreads. ;)

I worry that many young people see that type of behavior and want to copy it because "if the Arizona's and Minnesota's do it, we should do it too. Would hope that isn't true, but I hear them copying stupid cheers, so who knows. The fact that UND hasn't won a championship in quite a while makes me worry about it even more. Must destroy things to show how happy we are. That appears to be the common sense world we live in today.

I worry that many young people see that type of behavior and want to copy it because "if the Arizona's and Minnesota's do it, we should do it too. Would hope that isn't true, but I hear them copying stupid cheers, so who knows. The fact that UND hasn't won a championship in quite a while makes me worry about it even more. Must destroy things to show how happy we are. That appears to be the common sense world we live in today.

Would Kelley then require anger management AND sensitivity training for those students involved if it did happen at UND??

After the Rau dive resulted in a PPG that made it a 1 goal game, gophers started diving all over the place to try and get another PP. Are the coaches telling them to dive because of the ticky tack way the game was called, or did the players take it on themselves?

Whether or not Rau and Co learned this behavior at UM is unknown, but what is clear is that the UM coaching staff does not discourage diving and (as you point out) it escalated after Rau "sold" his call with time getting short. To his credit, he sold it and they picked up a PP goal to make a game of it.

It begs the question "Is this a good (if not preferred) coaching strategy? Consider that if Rocco drops like a sack of spuds after Holl high sticks him to the face it would have quite likely stopped play at the buzzer. Any review would have caught the high stick and counting the goal at that time would have been very controversial. (Whistle should have blown the play dead when Holl touches the puck). But do we want to see the Green and White take up diving as a team sport? As hard as it is to want to turn back the clock and wish Rocco had done that, I still say "No". UND plays nose-to-nose hockey and doesn't dive or jersey pop. And I can live with that.

It still surprises me that the NCAA can review that goal, make sure the play is not offsides as they cross the blue line, and NOT over-rule the goal based on the obvious high-stick to the face. This is certainly not protective of players, and hasn't the NCAA now, defacto, just said it's ok to stick people in the facemask? Really interesting non-call there.

Thoughts welcome.

• Upvote 1