SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

A few thoughts from the Frozen Four in general:

1) This was an amazing set of games. All three of them were exciting nail-biters. Even with the Sioux losing, I can't remember the last Frozen Four that was so entertaining as a whole. I'm glad there was a loud and full crowd for tonight's game.

2) If the Sioux didn't win, thank God Union did. The thought of a Minn-BC final (or a championship for either team) made me want to yak. Major props to Union. For a team that is renowned for their defensive style, who would have thought they'd win two run-and-gun type games. And I just saw on the Twitters (per Schloss) that Union hadn't lost since January. Wow.

3) What a tool move by Condon to ignore Bodie's handshake after the ceremonial puck drop.

4) The college hockey season is over... :sad:

I know they mention Union can't offer athletic scholarships but does anyone really believe those guys aren't getting a decent amount of their school paid for through other scholarships and ways?

The "no scholarships" thing is a bunch of bs ......there's ways around that.

Congrats to Union. Have to like a team winning their first title, and to beat the Gophers in the process is just the icing on the cake.

Have to think that Union takes a pretty decent step back next season. They lose a decent amount of seniors, plus you have to think a few of their juniors (like Gostisbehere) will bolt for the pros.

A few thoughts from the Frozen Four in general:

1) This was an amazing set of games. All three of them were exciting nail-biters. Even with the Sioux losing, I can't remember the last Frozen Four that was so entertaining as a whole. I'm glad there was a loud and full crowd for tonight's game.

2) If the Sioux didn't win, thank God Union did. The thought of a Minn-BC final (or a championship for either team) made me want to yak. Major props to Union. For a team that is renowned for their defensive style, who would have thought they'd win two run-and-gun type games. And I just saw on the Twitters (per Schloss) that Union hadn't lost since January. Wow.

3) What a tool move by Condon to ignore Bodie's handshake after the ceremonial puck drop.

4) The college hockey season is over... :sad:

In regard to #3, why in the world would he do that?

That's what we were talking about it is just annoying to hear those announcers try to use that when a team like Union wins. Yeah they are a great story but don't act like those players have to pay their full tuition just to go there and don't get some kind of money to play there.

Sagard, I'd be lying if I said that I'm disappointed the gophers lost, but I am sorry for good guys like you. Heck of a run, and a heck of a game Thursday night.

Sagard is the gopher fan I would talk to over a beer at Tom Reid's during the Final Five, and it would be a good civil chat. For guys like him, I am sorry that their fav. squad lost tonight.

absolutely, I was a swimmer at a D3 school which is the same with no scholarships and there are ways around it. I had most of my expeneses covered in grants, student loans and academic scholarships. of a 15k bill for one year all but 2k as covered and with others most if not all was covered.

I just played in a tournament in Winnipeg this weekend and I asked a guy who played varsity hockey for Union and he said that scholarships can be given to non-US (aka, Canadian student athletes).

Minneapolis is becoming the Vancouver of the midwest. If they riot after making to the National Championship game imagine if they finally win the Beef O' Brady Bowl. They'd burn the city to the ground.

You just made me spit out my drink and laugh. For that...I thank you sir. Great screen name by the way.

At least Gopher fans will be able to use the old stand by line they have always used against the Sioux when they lose about the older players that Union had.

Apparently Lucia made a comment about Union players being 24/25.

In reality, the average age of the teams is fairly close

For the record @DanBarreiroKFAN here is your average age for union/gophers. Not quite 24 year olds as Lucia said pic.twitter.com/bBbYWPibkq

— DHG (@UmdPenaltyBox)

April 13, 2014

Sad situation. Over-reaction by military force on students. A little better response by police could diffuse situation. But students are being clearly rounded up like cattle. I believe on keeping order but this could have gotten ugly.

Dinkytown was already ugly.

I saw plenty of Union College in the past three years including all three of this year's tournament games - this was a solid team all the way around. I had a feeling Minnesota was in trouble tonight...and they were indeed.

That's because you keep showing up in my basement to watch college hockey...like last night!!