SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

NCHC says it is Mike Haviland.

http://www.sbncolleg...d-as-head-coach

I'm stunned. Zero coaching experience at the college level unless you count the DIII assistant experience in the mid 1990's...interesting pick. This one's really out of left-field. I hadn't run across his name being discussed anywhere for this job. Also interesting to note in this article this comment:

Colorado College does have two very experienced assistant coaches which should help ease that transition...

So Haviland gets his assistant coaches picked for him?

Yep...I covered that. :) Curious pick, wouldn't you agree?

I am also somewhat surprised by this pick. But, Murray has successfully transitioned from the pros to Western Michigan. It just seems to me that CC better hope that their two assistants don't feel snubbed and go looking elsewhere.

It just seems to me that CC better hope that their two assistants don't feel snubbed and go looking elsewhere.

That's the part I can't quite figure out...hire the coach and then tell him his assistants are two guys who wanted the head job but didn't get it?

To his credit, it appears that he has had a winning record where he has been in his career. But yes, it might be interesting to note why he was let go from the Blackhawks and then left his AHL job after just one year.

Passed over after years of loyal service as assistants and, in Rud's case, an alum who captained the '96 national runner up team...Ouch.

I'm with ya, Godsmack...Rud's either going to be the most loyal Tiger EVER or he's going to leave. I predict the latter.

Maine's Lomberg has been charged with assault and disorderly conduct. It seems to have involved an off-campus party. He has been suspended from the team until they complete an investigation. He had 18 points this past season, including 11 goals.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2014/05/09/maine-junior-lomberg-reportedly-charged-with-assault/#ixzz31FzwrvoE

http://m.gazette.com/new-cc-hockey-coach-mike-haviland-will-keep-academic-emphasis/article/1519857

Haviland will be formally introduced this afternoon on the CC campus as the new head hockey coach. Gutsy selection by AD. Will either prove to be a stroke of genius or a huge blunder...both in selection as well as decision to let Owens go.

http://m.gazette.com/new-cc-hockey-coach-mike-haviland-will-keep-academic-emphasis/article/1519857

Haviland will be formally introduced this afternoon on the CC campus as the new head hockey coach. Gutsy selection by AD. Will either prove to be a stroke of genius or a huge blunder...both in selection as well as decision to let Owens go.

The thing I immediately noticed on his resume is that he's only stayed at a job for a few years at a time before moving on. If CC either failed to recognize this or thinks they'll be the lone exception to make him stay, they are being incredibly naive.

I'm with ya, Godsmack...Rud's either going to be the most loyal Tiger EVER or he's going to leave. I predict the latter.

Rud is a finalist for the women's head coach position at SCSU. I'm thinking that answers our question of leaving; to me that indicates he's determined to be a head coach and isn't waiting around for CC.

Drew Brown, a soon-to-be senior for Providence just got diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. Hopefully they caught it early. For this type of cancer, survival is often dependent on tumor location, and whether or not that location can be amputated.

Drew Brown, a soon-to-be senior for Providence just got diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. Hopefully they caught it early. For this type of cancer, survival is often dependent on tumor location, and whether or not that location can be amputated.

They found it after an MRI during treatment for a lower body injury. Best of luck and best wishes to Drew!