SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

http://gazette.com/c...article/1518319

CC coaching search down to 10 candidates...

But still leaving the application process open, which I think is interesting. There are a lot of tricky situations with this one. If one assistant coach gets it, does the other resent him for it? Likewise, if someone from outside the program gets the job, are there bad feelings from both assistant coaches?

The assistants will have to get on board or find new jobs...just like in business when there is a new boss.

Guentzel might be able to take the job and still be heir apparent at U of MN...if he takes CC back to the NCAAs, that only strengthens his resume to be head at U of MN when Donnie steps down. Donnie has at least 5 more years...that's a long time to be in the second seat.

If my employer thinks I am on the short list to be CEO when the current one retires, and I leave to be CEO somewhere else and do a good job...I can still come back...

Guentzel the favorite?

Meanwhile, odd that someone coaching in the B1G as a current head coach would be on this finalist list. :huh:

I'm stunned that the coaches of Penn State, Providence College, and UMass-Lowell are among those 10 finalists...

I'm stunned that the coaches of Penn State, Providence College, and UMass-Lowell are among those 10 finalists...

Don't know if they are. Doesn't it sound like the assistants are the only two confirmed? That would make sense, since most guys wouldn't want their names as official when they hold other jobs.

" ... other names making the social media rounds ... "

I love it when news sources use internet posting boards (full of speculation and wishful thinking) as "legitimate" sources.

I hear ya there. I read on one board that Goon, Oxbow6, and NorthDakotaHockey are among CC's 10 finalists...

I hear ya there. I read on one board that Goon, Oxbow6, and NorthDakotaHockey are among CC's 10 finalists...

Damned straight we are. The CC men's hockey head coaching job is one of the premier job opportunities in all of college hockey. A great program with fine facilities and a reasoned fan base in a fine American city. A great school. There are few coaches around, employed or not, who would not love to have, or return to, that job.

I suspect that Lucy agonized over quietly inquiring about the possibility of his returning there to finally bring that school a title. With talent recruited and cultivated by his predecessors. Don's specialty. Guentzel takes over at U of M. Everyone's dream, except mine. If it is in fact offered to me, I will probably accept it. Whoever gets the job will no doubt soon return CC to its preeminent position in the world of the greatest sport on earth. CC shall rise again. And all of the NCHC shall benefit from it.

You didn't make the cut?

I had a 20-minute phone interview the other day where I explained that my 20+ years of experience playing and managing men's and co-rec broomball, along with multiple league, city, and state championships was more than enough reason to launch my candidacy for the job. That was promptly met with a long pause followed by this question:

"What's broomball?"

Alas, I was promptly scratched off the list. However, CC did say that I can re-apply for the position of Locker Room Attendant as that position is also available.

I had a 20-minute phone interview the other day where I explained that my 20+ years of experience playing and managing men's and co-rec broomball, along with multiple league, city, and state championships was more than enough reason to launch my candidacy for the job.

Was your interview with CC's good ole boys?
  • Upvote 1

I would like to see either Guentzel of Eades to get the job. For no other reason than they both have earned a head coaching job. Guentzel though would be the benefit because we know what happened to the rodents without him before.

Actually the first down year the Gophers had Guentzel was still there. And Guentzel's time away from the U coincided with Lucia's illness which had a lot to do with those down years.

Then why did he bring back Guentzel after firing him and the team rebounded once he returned?

I'm not saying Guentzel isn't a HUGE reason for the Gophers turnaround as he absolutely is. I want him to be the next head coach and no one else. But the program finished in 6th place his last year with the program and then Lucia got sick as well. It all contributed to the down years.

I'm not saying Guentzel isn't a HUGE reason for the Gophers turnaround as he absolutely is. I want him to be the next head coach and no one else. But the program finished in 6th place his last year with the program and then Lucia got sick as well. It all contributed to the down years.

Or the Gophers were simply not good those years. You know what they say about excuses..... :)

The common denominator is John Hill, and that's where the discussion ends.

Just was reading Dave Starman's season wrap up on College Hockey News, and he mentioned his wife is Shireen Saske, the on ice reporter for CBS. Never heard that was his wife. Hope people don't tell him they love his commentary, but the on ice reporter leaves a little to be desired.