SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

7 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

No but at least you would own SOMETHING instead of throwing your money away on rent for a "good time".  We didn't buy a "DUMP" (fu) but it was an older house that we've invested in with a new 2 car garage, new windows, new roof, all kinds of things.  It's about investment on every level but it will pay off for us in the end.

There's a very small house on the next block to me  - they're marketing it as a "Tiny House" - lol!  They did a total remod inside and out.  It has a 2 car garage that might actually be BIGGER than the house and they're asking $150,000!   No takers yet but lots of lookers...but again at least you'd own something instead of nothing.  Best of luck to the kids who want to live for today with all the amenities but no investment.   THANK GOD Social Security will be around to take care of them in their.....nevermind

Good luck finding a millennial who is counting on social security existing when they retire. They understand that they have been the blood boys for the boomers via social security and student loans.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Good luck finding a millennial who is counting on social security existing when they retire. They understand that they have been the blood boys for the boomers via social security and student loans.

It isn't the boomers that are hurting SS.  The greatest generation is, they paid very little into SS and have lived longer than expected.

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

It isn't the boomers that are hurting SS.  The greatest generation is, they paid very little into SS and have lived longer than expected.

And most young people are expecting it to basically implode under the boomers because there aren’t enough young people to pay in to make it work.

56 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

And most young people is expecting it to basically implode under the boomers because there aren’t enough young people to pay in to make it work.

The system is broken and going bankrupt.  Even at today's rate young people will never live long enough to collect what they paid into SS.

2 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

The system is broken and going bankrupt.  Even at today's rate young people will never live long enough to collect what they paid into SS.

Wow, a government program failing and now will once again change the rules.   The evolution of this program is just typical government overreach, thinking they know what's best for people.  Not many government programs run efficiently, so it comes as no surprise that they will need to "fix" social security, which means the "rich are going to have to pay their fair share"! 

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's called sarcasm.  Social Security has been on a death spiral LONG BEFORE these little self-important self-centered aholes came on the scene and only thought about themselves.  The boomers payed their own way all along - they just want what's due to them.   If you take out a student loan to pay for college - that's on you!   I worked a full time job and an part time job (60+ hours a week) and finished with a degree and no loans.   Wasn't fun but I was young and did it because I worked my ass off - I'm proud of that.   I don't give 2-shits about whiny millennials today...Rudy G would call them the "P" name but I won't because I hate Rudy.

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

when did the old westward ho motel actually close...i biked thru there the other day...holy crap...broken everything...dangerous!

was cool back in the day tho

default (1).jpg

eb8ed708e28e1005b1700a52b4eb0070.jpg

Sometime between December of 2020 and September of 2021. There was a murder at the hotel in December of 2020 when it was still open, and Google street view shows it empty in September 2021. I spent a few minutes searching, but couldn't get more specific than that.

The name changed to Budget Inn Express in the early 2000s. Don't know if there were any other names in between that and Westward Ho.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 5:43 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I miss the fishbowls.

I have the original recipes for the fishbowls!   I sold the !@#$ out of them on a cd on Ebay 10 years ago - for you I will make a deal*

*Seriously - went to the Ho Auction and they had a box that included a lot of sheets of paper - they WERE the original fishbowl recipes!  I got it for like $5 and made hundreds if not nearly thousands of dollars from them plus a lot of old Ho items.  I won't even go into what I got for buying hundreds of the old pewter French Onion Soup bowls.   They were amazing!  AND i still have 1 of original "Al's Pasta Parlor" violin case arrow signs in my bar.  The old HO fucking RULED man!

33 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Karl Berthau. Or as we called him Bother Karl.

Came into the VD on Stanford where I worked graveyards after 1am - liked pizza rolls, Geno's !@#!$ frozen pizza and dry humor.   I could make him laugh but it was like a corpse coughing.  You could tell he wasn't long for this world (early '90's)

PS - Pat Sweeney also frequented the Stanford VD - bought a lot of Eskimo Pies to my recollection.   Nice guy but also odd like Karl.

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Lol, no generation is more self centered and worthless than boomers. Thanks for running this country into the ground. You’re doing great! Btw, we didn’t want the stupid participation trophies you shoved down our throats.

so....what generation are you from Mr. Magic? and how did YOU prevent this country from running into the ground?   I got a participation ribbon from an elementary school playday in 1978 and wiped my ass with it.  I also watched a recent ASSHOLE president we had whine and lie about being cheated out on election 2 years ago he's still CRYING about now.  !@#$ HIM!   He couldn't prove !@#$ and still can't.  He's just a little orange-tufted pussy who hopefully the DOJ is tracking.  VERY SAD!

6 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

so....what generation are you from Mr. Magic? and how did YOU prevent this country from running into the ground?   I got a participation ribbon from an elementary school playday in 1978 and wiped my ass with it.  I also watched a recent ASSHOLE president we had whine and lie about being cheated out on election 2 years ago he's still CRYING about now.  !@#$ HIM!   He couldn't prove !@#$ and still can't.  He's just a little orange-tufted pussy who hopefully the DOJ is tracking.  VERY SAD!

Settle down Karen

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

I have the original recipes for the fishbowls!   I sold the !@#$ out of them on a cd on Ebay 10 years ago - for you I will make a deal*

*Seriously - went to the Ho Auction and they had a box that included a lot of sheets of paper - they WERE the original fishbowl recipes!  I got it for like $5 and made hundreds if not nearly thousands of dollars from them plus a lot of old Ho items.  I won't even go into what I got for buying hundreds of the old pewter French Onion Soup bowls.   They were amazing!  AND i still have 1 of original "Al's Pasta Parlor" violin case arrow signs in my bar.  The old HO fucking RULED man!

post of pics of some of your Ho stuff!