SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Now do Fargo. 

By comparison (which is inevitable), GF feels stagnant. And I try to be optimistic. The economic growth just isn't palpable. 

"Comparison is the Thief of Joy."

If only Duluth and Fargo swapped physical locations so GFers could feel better about themselves.

On 8/29/2022 at 11:54 AM, Cratter said:

Not this time.

download (1).webp

download.webp

AWESOME!  3 new strip malls placed close together - that will do the trick!   The best thing about GF is when you build a strip mall it just sits empty or mostly empty for years.  Seems like we have PLENTY of these around town with no tenants right now.   REALLY?  South Washington, downtown, 32nd - Fargo fills these things up right away - why can't we?

22 minutes ago, gfNDfan said:

AWESOME!  3 new strip malls placed close together - that will do the trick!   The best thing about GF is when you build a strip mall it just sits empty or mostly empty for years.  Seems like we have PLENTY of these around town with no tenants right now.   REALLY?  South Washington, downtown, 32nd - Fargo fills these things up right away - why can't we?

Trying to get that outlet mall vibe

On 9/10/2022 at 1:18 AM, Cratter said:

Quick.....Someone be the first to cry "stripmall"!

10 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

AWESOME!  3 new strip malls placed close together - that will do the trick!   

That didn't take long. So predictable.

I love when the internet experts think they know more than the actual pros sacrificing millions of dollars....But some guy on the internet said he knows better!

Boutique shops and storefronts and small commercial spaces may make landowners and developers money and generate tax revenue, but for many of us they don't exactly move the QOL needle, especially when they consist of niche or non-essential goods and services. 

Food and mainline retail are always going to make a bigger splash, and popular chains and familiar brands will make visitors and new arrivals to the area feel more welcome, and will diminish dependence on trips to Fargo.

There needs to be a better balance between the two.

46 minutes ago, tnt said:

If only we could be more like Fargo, which wants to be more like Minneapolis. Judging by the shootings and other crime, they are making progress.  If only we could see such progress.

It is a trade-off for sure. Omaha has its own Congressional District; Imperial Cass has a ways to go to get to that level. But there are drawbacks to growth and a proper balance is needed between growth and infrastructure.

• 3 weeks later...

so wes rydell is gonna tear down his honda store and rebuild multiple buildings on the corner of 32 and wash....and have a main main buidling on their new parking lot just south of their main lot...and bc of some other things wes' "car shop" had to move from his main chevy building at 28th and wash so it sounds like this "car museum" will only there for 5 years before he moves them back to "car shop" at 28th and wash.......

wowzer....

On 9/27/2022 at 1:22 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so wes rydell is gonna tear down his honda store and rebuild multiple buildings on the corner of 32 and wash....and have a main main buidling on their new parking lot just south of their main lot...and bc of some other things wes' "car shop" had to move from his main chevy building at 28th and wash so it sounds like this "car museum" will only there for 5 years before he moves them back to "car shop" at 28th and wash.......

wowzer....

Anyone wanna translate? 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Anyone wanna translate? 

i thought i did well..

wes' car "museum' at the old kmart site is only temporary...i thought he was gonna have this "museum" there forever or a long long time....they will be building two different buildings at their honda/cartiva location...one honda and one for nissan

he wasn't expecting to be buying that lithia dealership...

On 9/11/2022 at 4:13 AM, Cratter said:

That didn't take long. So predictable.

I love when the internet experts think they know more than the actual pros sacrificing millions of dollars....But some guy on the internet said he knows better!

I apologize!   I'm pretty sure I'm the first person on the internet who thought he knew better than someone else on any subject - you're right!   I should trust these business geniuses and wait for ALL these vacant commercial properties to promptly fill up with the exorbitant rents they're asking because they had the incredible business acumen (or just plain cash) to put up strip malls everywhere no one wants to be in.  

Epic at least has original concepts and has had success - DC, not so much.   That's not an "expert" opinion - that's the truth.

"All those vacant commercial" properties they just converted from the old Kmart are filling up fast and they ain't even finished with construction.

Rydells, gymnastic studio, storage lockers, indoor farmers market. Only a few spaces left.

The new Boot Barn looks amazing inside. I guess they can afford those "exorbitant rents." Didn't listen to the couch experts I guess.

Grand Forks needs to break through the politics and old boys and get a new overpass between 32nd Ave and the Merrifield road overpass (County 6). Or just put ramps (finally) onto the Merrifield road overpass. 

Why?

Fargo is putting in the 64th Ave S overpass and there's already a huge Fargo Parks facility, an NDSCS facility, a hospice facility, and whispers of a Christian academy going in ... while the ramps are not yet poured. (The bridge deck is in place.) 

Grand Forks has a huge space inside the greenway (flood protected) that will not develop (economic growth) until there is easy access to I-29. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Grand Forks needs to break through the politics and old boys and get a new overpass between 32nd Ave and the Merrifield road overpass (County 6). Or just put ramps (finally) onto the Merrifield road overpass. 

Why?

Fargo is putting in the 64th Ave S overpass and there's already a huge Fargo Parks facility, an NDSCS facility, a hospice facility, and whispers of a Christian academy going in ... while the ramps are not yet poured. (The bridge deck is in place.) 

Grand Forks has a huge space inside the greenway (flood protected) that will not develop (economic growth) until there is easy access to I-29. 

Doing this would create way more jobs than the corn mill

to me you finish one and keep,doing them until you hit the Thompson ramp

the road by the furniture row is the most awkward way of building

that road should go south to the next interchange location 

the campground out there is sort of in the way of ramps.

• Upvote 2