SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

6 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Let me guess.

More apartments?

Yup and commercial on the first floor.

Lots of houses being built too. 

There's a shift of people preferring apartments more nowadays. 

Cheaper, less commitment, less upkeep.

The youtube generation so they can live the #vanlife.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:07 PM, tnt said:

Has anyone heard any news as to what this is?   It isn't on the city planning page under approved projects. 

On 6/15/2022 at 4:29 PM, Green Banner said:

Strip mall, it was covered a early in the thread

Called Plaza 32 by Epic Company out of Fargo.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Called Plaza 32 by Epic Company out of Fargo.

Epic is investing in several projects in Grand Forks and many more in the state/region.  They've really grown as a company.  Looking forward to the Beacon and what it has to offer once it's built.

Edit:  Also, that isn't a picture of plaza 32.  That's a picture of a development on south columbia road.  Not sure who's doing that.

Plaza 32 is on 32nd by the mall.  

https://epiccompaniesnd.com/property/plaza-32/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Renting is a better fit for the lifestyle…. Because they can’t afford a home. Many young people don’t expect to be able to afford a home any time soon, even if they have a decent job and a degree.

Among other factors. You can read the article yourself. 

Maybe you missed the part where I wrote "cheaper" as one of the factors.

Or maybe you're good at seeing black and white.

Either way there's a shift toward more people preferring apartments over houses.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cratter said:

Either way there's a shift toward more people preferring apartments over houses.

Seems you’re only seeing the what and not the why.

5 hours ago, Cratter said:

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Renting is a better fit for the lifestyle…. Because they can’t afford a home. Many young people don’t expect to be able to afford a home any time soon, even if they have a decent job and a degree.

The lifestyle for NOW - go ahead and throw away rent for 30 years and end up with nothing to show for it.   They can't afford a home they THINK they deserve right out of the chute that's probably way beyond their means right now but if they could get into a smaller starter home and work their way up they'd actually own something worth something at the end of the road.  

The real problem is a lack of small starter homes for new home buyers combined with the fact a small older place is "unacceptable" for today's renters because they think they deserve more immediate satisfaction (and less maintenance work) out of renting.  

We bought our house in North GF right after the flood - small and not perfect by any means but it was what we could afford at the time.   Bought in - maintained and improved it and now we could easily sell it for way more than twice what we payed for it.   The bank made out great on the mortgage they sold us but at least we'll have an asett we can sell to get most of that money back.   Renters just keep throwing money into the wind with nothing to show for it.

13 hours ago, Cratter said:

Yup and commercial on the first floor.

Lots of houses being built too. 

There's a shift of people preferring apartments more nowadays. 

Cheaper, less commitment, less upkeep.

The youtube generation so they can live the #vanlife.

True in part. False in part. I'll elaborate another time. I think it has more to do with priorities.

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

The lifestyle for NOW - go ahead and throw away rent for 30 years and end up with nothing to show for it.   They can't afford a home they THINK they deserve right out of the chute that's probably way beyond their means right now but if they could get into a smaller starter home and work their way up they'd actually own something worth something at the end of the road.  

The real problem is a lack of small starter homes for new home buyers combined with the fact a small older place is "unacceptable" for today's renters because they think they deserve more immediate satisfaction (and less maintenance work) out of renting.  

We bought our house in North GF right after the flood - small and not perfect by any means but it was what we could afford at the time.   Bought in - maintained and improved it and now we could easily sell it for way more than twice what we payed for it.   The bank made out great on the mortgage they sold us but at least we'll have an asett we can sell to get most of that money back.   Renters just keep throwing money into the wind with nothing to show for it.

Would you say it’s wise to buy a vastly overpriced dump that you can afford when there’s an incredibly inflated real estate bubble?

I look at the houses for sale in GF and there are very few of the old ones I would consider, need a lot of repairs and are overpriced

im just glad when we were young we took a chance and built a house even though the payments were close to 40% of our income

the kids had plenty of room to play outside and we knew who our neighbors were

im just not an apartment person, at our age now we would consider a one story duplex 

It's extremely well documented that the younger generations have a propensity to prefer the flexibility of "apartment life."  Statistically they are more liking to frequently change jobs and to relocate.  Their spending habits and priorities are statistically different than older generations.  There is a measurable different is favoring experiences over possessions. Less of that demographic has the goal of a classic home ownership model.

It's not a coincidence that higher end apartments with many amenities (dining, coffee shop, services, entertainment space) are becoming more popular.

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

It's not a coincidence that higher end apartments with many amenities (dining, coffee shop, services, entertainment space) are becoming more popular.

One of the newer apartments in GF has an indoor and outdoor pool, hot tubs, indoor basketball court, game rooms, theaters, gyms (fitness). And no availability. 

Gonna need to build a new one.

Probably rents for a small mortgage too.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

One of the newer apartments in GF has an indoor and outdoor pool, hot tubs, indoor basketball court, game rooms, theaters, gyms (fitness). And no availability. 

What's curious to me is when I visit relatives that live in such places, those amenities are idle. 

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

I’m a partner in the district

very good place to indulge

forgetting the dog park tii

15 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Would you say it’s wise to buy a vastly overpriced dump that you can afford when there’s an incredibly inflated real estate bubble?

No but at least you would own SOMETHING instead of throwing your money away on rent for a "good time".  We didn't buy a "DUMP" (fu) but it was an older house that we've invested in with a new 2 car garage, new windows, new roof, all kinds of things.  It's about investment on every level but it will pay off for us in the end.

There's a very small house on the next block to me  - they're marketing it as a "Tiny House" - lol!  They did a total remod inside and out.  It has a 2 car garage that might actually be BIGGER than the house and they're asking $150,000!   No takers yet but lots of lookers...but again at least you'd own something instead of nothing.  Best of luck to the kids who want to live for today with all the amenities but no investment.   THANK GOD Social Security will be around to take care of them in their.....nevermind