SiouxSports.com Forum

Seth Jones Watch

siouxnami

It probably means that everyone gets a day off once in a while. Plus, someone gets hurt every year. There will be plenty of playing time for Gleason.

^ This. How many times do you hear about guys suiting up with nagging injuries - not just last year, obviously, but EVERY year? Having that kind of depth would be huge for a March/April push.

Jones recently started following the Portland Winterhawks on twitter so I imagine that is where he's going. He doesn't follow UND hockey. FWIW, Miles Koules started following the Medicine Hat Tigers a few weeks before decommitting

The Portland Winterhawks are still in contention for the Memorial Cup so if Jones is indeed headed there we might not get any confirmation until after the playoffs.

The Portland Winterhawks are still in contention for the Memorial Cup so if Jones is indeed headed there we might not get any confirmation until after the playoffs.

Can the same be said of Forbort and his decision with the LA Kings? Or, has Derek stated that he is coming back?

Jones recently started following the Portland Winterhawks on twitter so I imagine that is where he's going. He doesn't follow UND hockey. FWIW, Miles Koules started following the Medicine Hat Tigers a few weeks before decommitting

The writing is certainly on the wall. I am pretty sure he is headed to Portland so I am just moving on from this thread. If he does come to UND great if not its just business as usual.

Thanks for your consideration Seth!!!! Good luck in your career, no doubt it will be a very good one.

Gotta agree, it's nice to have talent of that level in college hockey (even if it is UND with it :p) but he handed this the way it should be handled. Kudos and good luck to him.

Seth handled this decison with class and did it the right way, I will look forward to watching him play in the world juniors next year and as he continues his career I wish him good luck and will probably be a fan of his. The same can not be said of guys like JT Miller, Stefan Matteau, and Miles Koules.

Seth handled this decison with class and did it the right way, I will look forward to watching him play in the world juniors next year and as he continues his career I wish him good luck and will probably be a fan of his. The same can not be said of guys like JT Miller, Stefan Matteau, and Miles Koules.

Not to throw Koules under the bus, but I highly doubt you'll ever hear much of him moving forward. He'll get drafted late in the draft this year more than likely. However, he has a huge mountain to climb to ever reaching the NHL. You don't just get demoted on the US team, bolt on your college commitment due to ice time and players coming in and all of sudden make significant strides in CHL and become a likely everyday NHL player. I wish him well.

Someone high up in college hockey really needs to change the management of the National Development program. Canada is taking all our talent. Haha, jk. No one here can be all that mad. I am mad simply because it took so long to find out and due to his star status. It isn't that often you get kids to consider your program with this type of talent...although UND used to. Times have changed. Again, no one can be that made because it's not like UND hasn't been poaching (if that's what you want to call it) Canadian kids for 12 years now. However, if kids commit, the CHL leagues should no longer be able to talk to those kids. Something has to be done about that.

Someone high up in college hockey really needs to change the management of the National Development program. Canada is taking all our talent. Haha, jk. No one here can be all that mad. I am mad simply because it took so long to find out and due to his star status. It isn't that often you get kids to consider your program with this type of talent...although UND used to. Times have changed. Again, no one can be that made because it's not like UND hasn't been poaching (if that's what you want to call it) Canadian kids for 12 years now. However, if kids commit, the CHL leagues should no longer be able to talk to those kids. Something has to be done about that.

Never going to happen. The "higher-ups" in college hockey have no say. USA hockey is above all of college hockey. That is probably something USA hockey and Hockey Canada/CHL are going to have to work out. But I would be shocked if it ever happened.

Seems to be a trend that the USDT kids are heading north. Maybe doing the high school thing as well as the hockey thing gets to be a bit too much and these kids see it as a break to just play hockey and not worry about the academics when given the opportunity.

I would love to hear the sales pitch of these major junior teams. Whatever it is its working.

Wasn't one of the big reasons the now-headless College Hockey, Inc. formed was to make it competitive with MJ? If so, they've got a lot of work to do.

Wasn't one of the big reasons the now-headless College Hockey, Inc. formed was to make it competitive with MJ? If so, they've got a lot of work to do.

In my opinion, College Hockey Inc. has been so focused on increasing the awareness of College Hockey in Canada that they are overlooking the fact that maybe they should be reaching out to Americans even more so.

• Upvote 2

In my opinion, College Hockey Inc. has been so focused on increasing the awareness of College Hockey in Canada that they are overlooking the fact that maybe they should be reaching out to Americans even more so.

Agreed. Very good point.

Seems to be a trend that the USDT kids are heading north. Maybe doing the high school thing as well as the hockey thing gets to be a bit too much and these kids see it as a break to just play hockey and not worry about the academics when given the opportunity.

I would love to hear the sales pitch of these major junior teams. Whatever it is its working.

Sales pitch??? No, they pay under the table.

Sales pitch??? No, they pay under the table.

They do, but for some of these player's I doubt money really matters. Seth Jones' dad is a coach in the NBA, Miles Koules' dad made the Saw movies and Two and a Half Men, and Stefan Matteau's dad is an ex-NHL player. I really doubt any of those guys are hard-pressed for money. It is all about the "sales pitch" for these kinds of players, what things can that program offer you that the other one can't. It seems that the CHL teams are making the player's believe they can offer more.

It is all about the "sales pitch" for these kinds of players, what things can that program offer you that the other one can't. It seems that the CHL teams are making the player's believe they can offer more.

I think the long season (around 60 games, I believe) and the Best-of-7 playoff series are major factors in these decisions because it closely mimicks the NHL. Add in the traveling, several games/week, etc. Obviously these factors are the toughest argument against the NCAA route. Naturally, a lot of young players believe that playing in a mini-NHL is the best way to get to the actual NHL.

I think the long season (around 60 games, I believe) and the Best-of-7 playoff series are major factors in these decisions because it closely mimicks the NHL. Add in the traveling, several games/week, etc. Obviously these factors are the toughest argument against the NCAA route. Naturally, a lot of young players believe that playing in a mini-NHL is the best way to get to the actual NHL.

I agree that's what they say, and I guess a lot of young players buy it.

My answer to that is that players already play enough games starting from a young age and by the time they're 25 a lot of players are burnt out after so many games and so much mimicking of the pros. Maybe it does a player good to go to school for a few years and build themselves up.

More and more college players are playing in the NHL, so I don't know how much longer the CHL can argue that their system is so much better.

I agree that's what they say, and I guess a lot of young players buy it.

My answer to that is that players already play enough games starting from a young age and by the time they're 25 a lot of players are burnt out after so many games and so much mimicking of the pros. Maybe it does a player good to go to school for a few years and build themselves up.

More and more college players are playing in the NHL, so I don't know how much longer the CHL can argue that their system is so much better.

I agree, why is a league the that mimic's the NHL the best way to get to the NHL? When player's are drafted, the number one thing that they need to work on is strength. The best place to do that is the NCAA. The CHL is a great league, but I think too many player's don't give the NCAA a fair shot.

I agree, why is a league the that mimic's the NHL the best way to get to the NHL? When player's are drafted, the number one thing that they need to work on is strength. The best place to do that is the NCAA. The CHL is a great league, but I think too many player's don't give the NCAA a fair shot.

I don't think it mimics it in the most important way -- the maturity of the players.