SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

4 hours ago, Kab said:

NIL money doesn’t come from the university correct.  Isn’t the money paid by a business to the student. 
it seems some are suggesting it comes from the university.

Correct.

The waters are quite murky on  when, where, who and how much and for what... but... yea.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Correct.

The waters are quite murky on  when, where, who and how much and for what... but... yea.

I wonder if NIL money is tax-deductible for a business?

I'd be willing to shoot some business money their way if a NIL was setup for UND hockey players.

20 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Maybe UNDs first straight money NIL should be for a goaltender?  Say 100k to play (some percentage of games or minutes) with bonuses for save percentage?

NIL stands for name, image, and likeness. What you’re talking about is pay for performance, which is not permitted until the NIPL rule comes out, at which time it will probably suck, and donors will be milked dry.

22 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Maybe UNDs first straight money NIL should be for a goaltender?  Say 100k to play (some percentage of games or minutes) with bonuses for save percentage?

Can't do that. Basically, we need a business like Rydell's to pay a goaltender some money (and I believe that amount can be whatever Rydell's deems fit) for being a spokesperson. 

16 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Can't do that. Basically, we need a business like Rydell's to pay a goaltender some money (and I believe that amount can be whatever Rydell's deems fit) for being a spokesperson. 

Stop pucks, move trucks. 

Saves get made, sell Escalade. 

Cover the net, push the Vette.

Allow less than two, peddle that Rendezvous. 

(you get the idea) 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Stop pucks, move trucks. 

Saves get made, sell Escalade. 

Cover the net, push the Vette.

Allow less than two, peddle that Rendezvous. 

(you get the idea) 

These are better slogans than half the commercials on TV.

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Correct. Like a goalie doing a commercial for Rydell’s saying “Save Big on your next car at Rydells” 

maybe Rydell can use the $ from one of the 12 different advertisements at the Ralph and pay a player/recruit  for marketing instead. There’s already too many logos on the ice anyway.. :) 

2 hours ago, dustnyou said:

Correct. Like a goalie doing a commercial for Rydell’s saying “Save Big on your next car at Rydells” 

maybe Rydell can use the $ from one of the 12 different advertisements at the Ralph and pay a player/recruit  for marketing instead. There’s already too many logos on the ice anyway.. :) 

car dealers typically advertise on the athlete’s social media in exchange for a termed lease on a very nice car. The kid gets a nice ride for a year and the dealership gets its car back. Additionally the dealer often comes out ahead via sales. 

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

UND ... the entire UND community is light years behind in NIL already and it has and is hurting the program.

but... take a look at the Jaden Rashada / Florida Gators situation... 

Just a nightmare for everyone

Geez, what a cluster. Right now, Division I athletics seems like the RV scene in Anchorman 2.

10 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I believe it is treated as a typical business expense and taxable to the player.  

That is interesting...

I wonder how that works ... so an athlete gets use of a car, or items instead of money?

Does the athlete then pay tax on that value? I'd suppose...

Not an issue if takin in big bucks but say a UND Hockey lands a recruit due to a free truck lease from local scar dealer... Do they kick cash to cover tax liabilities too? Or does all that just float back under the table.

In the end we will see that Athletes will realize they didn't push this for their own betterment..

Lawyers did.

Players will go from either not having to file or getting full refunds (assuming they had any income from which to withhold), to having to pay big, fat quarterlies the following year.

A crash course in personal finance, for sure.

I look forward to the Real Sports episodes in a few years when the bubble bursts for some of these kids.  "Before NIL, the schools were taking advantage of us and wouldn't let us monetize, and we just wanted to be left alone to do our thing.  Now they aren't doing nearly enough to protect us."

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-hockey-prospect-notes-emerson-shows-versatility-in-all-american-game

Some recruit observations from the BioSteel All-American game:

Michael Emerson

UND added Emerson to its recruiting list last month, and it appears he's going to be an excellent fit.

The 6-foot-1, 197-pound forward from Yorktown Heights, N.Y., plays like a power forward — always going to the net.

He showed a variety of attributes in the game, too.

He showed his vision by setting up Buium for the tap-in goal.

He showed an excellent shot when he snapped one from beyond the dots that beat the opposing goalie clean only to hit the crossbar.

He showed great speed by torching a defenseman on the left wing on a rush.

But he also plays a hard, two-way, reliable game — he was routinely the third forward high in the defensive zone — which is much needed for UND considering it will lose Gavin Hain and Mark Senden in the offseason.

Emerson, who has a bit of Dylan James and Ben Strinden in his game, can help replace some of what they're losing.

Andrew Strathmann

Strathmann played on Emerson's team and quarterbacked the first power-play unit.

The 5-foot-10, 190-pound defenseman has high-end offensive attributes.

He's an excellent skater, which allows him to win puck races. He moves the puck well. He's good at jumping into spaces in the offensive zone for scoring opportunities.

But he's also going to need to improve his defensive game and learn to jump at the right times.

Strathmann often freely roamed the offensive zone. In the National Collegiate Hockey Conference, he's going to have to be more selective about when he leaves his defensive post and joins the attack or the puck will go the other way — as it did a couple times in the All-American Game.

Trying to outscore defensive issues doesn't work at the Division-I college level, something the Fighting Hawks know all too well from this season.

If Strathmann can grow on the defensive side of the game and add some strength to win puck battles, he has potential to be an excellent blue liner at UND, because the skating, the shooting and the skill level are all there.

Also more on Keith McInnis

UND commit Keith McInnis of the Waterloo Black Hawks sustained an injury just four games into the USHL season.

He has not played since.

But McInnis is nearing a return.

The blue liner has been medically cleared to return to game action. It could happen as early as Friday, when Waterloo takes on the Chicago Steel.

McInnis is one of three 2006-born UND commits. The others are forwards Mac Swanson of the Fargo Force and Sacha Boisvert of the Muskegon Lumberjacks.

Outside of U.S. Under-17 Team players, Swanson and Boisvert rank 2-3 among 2006-born scorers in the USHL, only behind the potential top pick of the 2024 NHL Draft Macklin Celebrini, who is headed to Boston University.