SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can I hope he's Tucker P 2.0 (late bloomer with good mobility)?
But to still be available at age 20.5 is reason for pause. 

He put up 94 pts in 58 games in the AJHL last year. 
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/561395/tanner-komzak 

94 penalty minutes, not points last year. He is averaging about a point per game this year, so that is impressive. 

3 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

94 penalty minutes, not points last year. He is averaging about a point per game this year, so that is impressive. 

You're right. And thanks for reminding me to switch to my computer glasses and not my everyday glasses. :whistling:

Going from 8 in 58 to a PPG pace ... something clicked. 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Our last "depth add" skated top four last weekend ... not sayin', just sayin' ... 

If this depth add was a 5th year grad student with experience at the college level, no matter how mediocre he was, then he would be in the line up every night.

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

If this depth add was a 5th year grad student with experience at the college level, no matter how mediocre he was, then he would be in the line up every night.

Well ... Sidorski basically has been ... and when he was picked up via portal I did not expect that. I expected 4, 6, and 24 to be better and 2 to be modeling that fine Wall Street suit nightly.   

36 minutes ago, AJS said:

Looks to be a very solid depth add (i.e. anticipated "8th" dman on the team). 

At first glance definitely a depth add, I’ve never heard of him. Poor numbers his first two junior years, definitely producing this year albeit not a top notch league and he’d be one of the older players in the league. Could be a late bloomer given his size? Who knows, time will tell.

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

At first glance definitely a depth add, I’ve never heard of him. Poor numbers his first two junior years, definitely producing this year albeit not a top notch league and he’d be one of the older players in the league. Could be a late bloomer given his size? Who knows, time will tell.

He’s 4th in the AJ in points per game at his position. Big boy. If it’s more of a depth add not terrible I wouldn’t think. He’ll be old too.

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Go check out his numbers in the AJ 

Yeah, he really found it, and it looks like the confidence carried over.  I see he committed to Western back in February 2019, so it obviously paid off for them waiting. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Yeah, he really found it, and it looks like the confidence carried over.  I see he committed to Western back in February 2019, so it obviously paid off for them waiting. 

Yeah they got a diamond in the rough there. Covid probably masked what he was doing, maybe grew later than his peers? Either way…last years junior numbers were absurd. What he’s doing this year is crazy. Very well could be a one and done.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-picks-up-commitment-from-right-handed-defenseman-tanner-komzak?fbclid=IwAR1WDVIznEPax_UkrQ0tih3QYVfgW7oD22VGOzjGVsQEul-Q_vEE0z2clKw

Three of the eight defensemen are out of eligibility — Chris Jandric, Ty Farmer and Ryan Sidorski. Two more could turn pro — Tyler Kleven and Ethan Frisch. And in this day and age, you never know who could end up in the transfer portal.

So, there will be a load of rookies coming in the fall.

The potential newcomers on UND's commitment list are all left-handed — something the Fighting Hawks took a step to address over the weekend.

UND picked up a new commitment from a big, right-shot defenseman in Tanner Komzak from the Whitecourt Wolverines in the Alberta Junior Hockey League.

"After coach Berry reached out to my coach to ask about me and what I was like as a person, he reached out to me," Komzak said. "He started asking about my personality, family, then started talking about my play style and what he liked about my game. Things went from there. They escalated pretty quickly. Getting the offer was unreal. I was pretty excited about it."

Komzak, who also was being pursued by RPI, likely will slot in as a replacement for Sidorski, a 6-foot-2, 215-pound right-shot defenesman. Komzak ages out of junior hockey after this season, so he's guaranteed to come to UND in the fall.