SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Jason was told as a Pee Wee that he was too small to play Bantams, he was told as a Bantam that he was too small to play HS and then he would never be big enough to play college. He was a wise ass kid who never let his size be his problem. He grew up in my back yard, literally, used to bully some of the neighbor kids, but he always out preformed his size! If Jackson is like his dad, watch out. We got a keeper, hope he stays 4 years we he gets here. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I am sorry but this is getting embarrassing.  These are literally little f'n kids that committing to major college programs.  

Disruption? Desperation? Near as I recall, during its successful run UND never took commits from 8th and 9th graders.

And fans on here would mock and ridicule schools that did.

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I am sorry but this is getting embarrassing.  These are literally little f'n kids that committing to major college programs.  

Isn't this becoming more prevalent among all schools? With Panzer, Spicer, Ausmus, and Blake all having a previous connection to the school or being a local kid does that have something to do with it?

17 minutes ago, mattim said:

Jason was told as a Pee Wee that he was too small to play Bantams, he was told as a Bantam that he was too small to play HS and then he would never be big enough to play college. He was a wise ass kid who never let his size be his problem. He grew up in my back yard, literally, used to bully some of the neighbor kids, but he always out preformed his size! If Jackson is like his dad, watch out. We got a keeper, hope he stays 4 years we he gets here. 

Umm, yah, that analogy doesn't really apply here.  His kid committed as a 15 year old to the top program in the country. Pretty certain nobody has told him anything negative, obviously.

Just now, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Isn't this becoming more prevalent among all schools? With Panzer, Spicer, Ausmus, and Blake all having a previous connection to the school or being a local kid does that have something to do with it?

Do you think?  Anyways, my point stands.  

5 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Disruption? Desperation? Near as I recall, during its successful run UND never took commits from 8th and 9th graders.

And fans on here would mock and ridicule schools that did.

...and how many will constantly talk about how they missed on a local kid should they go elsewhere and turn out to be decent.  People talked about Jacob Benson being a miss because they didn’t early recruit him.  None of these guys are offered full rides at this point, and to get legacy guys that have the work ethic and passion for the program certainly can’t hurt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

I agree, but remember this is nothing more than a “promise ring” at this age.  Either party can change directions at anytime 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Goon said:

So, UND is locking up some legacy players. Panzer, Blake, who's next?

Only one of the Panzer kids so far......need to get Jay's kid committed too.  Then there is an Ulmer kid a few years younger yet....gotta lock him up too.  Then the only other thing needed is hope that college hockey bans any players over 5'10" and 175 lbs.   Then UND will be set for success in 5-6 years.

Yeah, how is this still difficult for some to understand?

The rules of recruitment are changing. Before the rules change, some commitments are going to take place that maybe wouldn't of, at that age.

'03s really are not suprising, at all.

Hard to understand why this is so .... hard to understand. 

Color me shocked if anybody locks up an '05. Although, there are a BUNCH of highly talented legacy kids out there that are '05s too! 

Actually a huge load of legacy kids in the '05 to '08 years right now. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Yeah, how is this still difficult for some to understand?

The rules of recruitment are changing. Before the rules change, some commitments are going to take place that maybe wouldn't of, at that age.

'03s really are not suprising, at all.

Hard to understand why this is so .... hard to understand. 

Color me shocked if anybody locks up an '05. Although, there are a BUNCH of highly talented legacy kids out there that are '05s too! 

Actually a huge load of legacy kids in the '05 to '08 years right now. 

Its embarrassing for the sport of hockey based on their age and their size but other than that it's normal as hell

How many of them end up being good enough to where Berry actually follows through with the offer?  My guess is 2.    

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Its embarrassing for the sport of hockey based on their age and their size but other than that it's normal as hell

How many of them end up being good enough to where Berry actually follows through with the offer?  My guess is 2.    

It will be ok. Has happened in the past in other sports. Seems like college basketball and football have been able to survive. https://www.google.com/search?q=ncaa basketball eighth grader offered scholarship

Difference with these hockey players is that these kids have not been offered any scholarship, at least that hasn’t been reported anyway. 

Some schools have 40+ hockey recruits “committed”... how many of them will actually become scholarship athletes?

The rules are changing. They wanted to get a foot in the door prior to the change. Good for them. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Thought we may get a chance to see Rowe today against Latvia at U18, but Knight is in the net.  USA already locked into top seed so hopefully Judd gets a few more shifts today.  

He's got a shot on net.  He started out the year doing well, has cooled off drastically.  Don't believe he has a point in the tourney and they've thrown up double digits multiple times. Only F without a point.