SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

On 4/30/2019 at 1:12 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

My concern is the "PUSH" from the CHL teams will be to dangle the "quicker" route of major junior before they can be advised fully of the potential of the college development path. 

The good thing is most hockey parents are rational humans who will keep their players grounded and not caught up in the false promise........   :whistling:

Or the N.C double effin A will revisit the MJ ban and allow any kid up to ‘x’ interface (camp, scrimmage, roster, game) time in MJ to decide their path. To me these rules are bull$%!# protectionism no longer required.

“I find it comical in the past month all these young, young kids committing,” Lucia said on Tuesday. “Will they eventually end up there? Who knows? If you’re a parent, what parent thinks it’s a good idea to have a ninth-grader committed?”

https://www.inforum.com/sports/hockey/1014416-Lucia-New-rules-restore-sanity-to-college-hockey-recruiting

Apparently, the Don doesn't think much of the latest rash of quick commitments.  

31 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

“I find it comical in the past month all these young, young kids committing,” Lucia said on Tuesday. “Will they eventually end up there? Who knows? If you’re a parent, what parent thinks it’s a good idea to have a ninth-grader committed?”

https://www.inforum.com/sports/hockey/1014416-Lucia-New-rules-restore-sanity-to-college-hockey-recruiting

< blind squirrel comment > 

30 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The guys an idiot. I use to work for him in the summers. Didn’t he get a 14yr old and 15yr old brothers to commit before he quit. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I believe the NCAA rule should be simple: 

So what if you played MJ as long as you enroll at an NCAA school before your 19th birthday. 

Agreed, the $ they get is nothing 

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I believe the NCAA rule should be simple: 

So what if you played MJ as long as you enroll at an NCAA school before your 19th birthday. 

I think then US coolege hockey would more resemble canadian college hockey, more of a last chance than the path for development.

More kids would opt for major junior, and the washouts would then trickle to ncaa. I believe far fewer drafted picks would end up in college hockey.

10 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed, the $ they get is nothing 

Amazing though how 500 bucks under the table to a kid from Souris Manitoba has him on the next bus to the Calgary Hitmen.  :lol:

I'd love to see some exhibition games between the college teams and the CHLers.  Michigan vs. Windsor at the new Joe, I'd watch that.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I think then US coolege hockey would more resemble canadian college hockey, more of a last chance than the path for development.

More kids would opt for major junior, and the washouts would then trickle to ncaa. I believe far fewer drafted picks would end up in college hockey.

spot on...and what about the signing bonuses...not CHL $1500 to get an apartment, I'm talking about the NHL signing bonuses...first round picks in the CHL sign, they get the $300k and 99% go back to their CHL teams...those guys would obviously be ineligible for NCAA, so there goes all the first rounders...

Having been close to both, I will advise my kid (if he develops all the way) to play college...even if people blow him telling him he's a first rounder for sure if he goes CHL at 16.  Too big a risk...I think most people are savvy of this now.  You're crazy to bet it all...and by the way, hey, Coxy, whyd ya want to play cawlidge hawkey

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

spot on...and what about the signing bonuses...not CHL $1500 to get an apartment, I'm talking about the NHL signing bonuses...first round picks in the CHL sign, they get the $300k and 99% go back to their CHL teams...those guys would obviously be ineligible for NCAA, so there goes all the first rounders...

Having been close to both, I will advise my kid (if he develops all the way) to play college...even if people blow him telling him he's a first rounder for sure if he goes CHL at 16.  Too big a risk...I think most people are savvy of this now.  You're crazy to bet it all...and by the way, hey, Coxy, whyd ya want to play cawlidge hawkey

Im sure they get the picknof the litter in Brandon too.... 

World Selects Invitational - '03 and '04 Divisions started yesterday in Philadelphia. 

I believe the only recruits of those birth years that aren't taking part are Panzer ('04) and James ('03). 

'03

Blake - 03 Blue Army - 0 points (1GP)

'04

Singleton - 04 Western Canada Selects - 1G 1A 2Pts (1GP)

Ausmus - 04 Minnesota Blades - 2A 2pts (1GP)

Spicer - 04 Minnesota Blades - Didn't appear to play in Game 1, but is on the roster

21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

What's the earliest a kid can go to the US developmental program?  Is it the year they turn 16 or year they turn 17?

It's all about birth year, so the upcoming U-17 the youngest a player could be is Dec, 31, 2003. Year they turn 16 I believe. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/3/2019 at 10:12 PM, Wilbur said:

Amazing though how 500 bucks under the table to a kid from Souris Manitoba has him on the next bus to the Calgary Hitmen.  :lol:

I'd love to see some exhibition games between the college teams and the CHLers.  Michigan vs. Windsor at the new Joe, I'd watch that.

Sure...but they are completely different age groups.  You see how teams like BU did the past two years in college hockey...having 16-19 (and a couple 20) year olds go against 19-23 year olds is apple and oranges really.

23 hours ago, AJS said:

World Selects Invitational - '03 and '04 Divisions started yesterday in Philadelphia. 

I believe the only recruits of those birth years that aren't taking part are Panzer ('04) and James ('03). 

'03

Blake - 03 Blue Army - 0 points (1GP)

'04

Singleton - 04 Western Canada Selects - 1G 1A 2Pts (1GP)

Ausmus - 04 Minnesota Blades - 2A 2pts (1GP)

Spicer - 04 Minnesota Blades - Didn't appear to play in Game 1, but is on the roster

Ausmus is doing very well right now.

54 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Sure...but they are completely different age groups.  You see how teams like BU did the past two years in college hockey...having 16-19 (and a couple 20) year olds go against 19-23 year olds is apple and oranges really.

...and how Cale Makar seems to have transitioned seamlessly to the NHL, having already played against 24 and 25 year olds. 

• Upvote 2

Blake - 03 Blue Army - 0 points (3GP)

'04

Singleton - 04 Western Canada Selects - 2G 2A 4Pts (3GP)

Ausmus - 04 Minnesota Blades - 1G 5A 6pts (3GP)

Spicer - 04 Minnesota Blades - 1A 1pt (2PG)

Notes:

• Maddox Fleming leads the '04 Blades and the Tournament with 11 points (3G 8A)
  • Jimmy Clark (has been talked about here) -- second on Blades with 7 points
  • Leading scorer for 04 Western Canada Selects currently has 5 points