SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

(Skills?  18-20 year olds aren't developing skills anymore. ) 

Will respectfully, wholeheartedly, adamantly, disagree.

As will every college, junior, and pro coach, scout, and executive.

Can absolutely expect that skills are being unlocked and developed at that age.

Maybe our disagreement is on the definition of skills.  I'm thinking about skating and stick skills when I use that term.  If you look at USA Hockey's windows of development, what you see at that age is really all about strength.  Clearly you hone and refine your whole life, but you aren't really developing skill in the sense that I think about it.  Yes, there are occasional late bloomers, but I contend that most of that is also a result of improved strength.

• Upvote 2

In 2017-18 and 2018-19 who should've been on the rosters but left? Off the top of my head ...

Boeser, Jost, ... 

You can't tell me that taking the star out of a class and just having the grinders/role players left isn't going to do damage. That said, it's on the coaches to have a contingency plan in the event of a departure. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

As far as Adams goes, he's an undersized underclassman.  His first year in the USHL he played with an NHL player and his second year he dropped off a bit.  Yes, he is skilled.  But he was never going to come in a light it up early.  His damage should be in his upperclassmen years.  During his underclassmen years, he playing against older comp. as compared to who he played against in juniors.  Also, who are these middle of the road players you are speaking of?

Nope, they have to contribute right away for them to be successful. We can't wait. We mustn't wait :)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

That 2 goal stat is glaring, and is the reason this is even a conversation.

now to address your rationale-

1.  Have we "missed" on blue chippas that are college bound?  More than usual?  I think we've missed on some guys that ended up 1 and done...mostly out East...wonder if post Jost, if Berry is asking guys to commit for at least 2 years.  Building on top of a foundation, not starting from soil...

2.  Lack of development- could be the case, but how?  Physical?  All I've ever heard is Pooly excels at that aspect.  Skills?  18-20 year olds aren't developing skills anymore.  200 foot game?  Maybe we are over-developing that aspect, which is leading to better all around hockey players, but sacrificing the offense of previously offensively dominant players...

3.  Systems?  The predominant system is puck control- it's also the predominant system in the NHL.  Logic is if you have the puck, other team can't score.  The system is working as intended with our CORSI and other advanced stats as evidence.  Now, Powerplay is its own animal and has definitely been an issue, so I give that a thumbs up.

4. Possibly, but I ask develop into what?  Scoring machines?  You aren't going to manufacture that at this age.

5.  Plan?  I think the answer is yes.  I do think we are getting guys.  I think we'd do well to look at more guys with offensive upside rather than sick current offense.

I respect your hockey knowledge, but then why are we on the road for the first round of the playoffs and Duluth (looking for back-to back titles) and Denver are once again at the Frozen Four and St. Cloud (before their annual choke job) the top rated team in College Hockey.  According to you, the only guys we have missed on are the one and done guys we don't want because - see Boston University.  We are excelling at developing 200 foot players.  We have the best system (one that is used by the Pros), and we are fine in player development.  Why does our top scorer have 10 goals?  Something is off the rails.  To Berry's credit he seems to be recruiting his butt of lately - now if only he would address the roster dead weight and coaching staff.  Reading Schloss's article on how former Sioux are the top scoring college program in the pros only emphasized our current roster woes.  See anyone on this year's roster that would add to the pro scoring total?  We are used to having some absolute studs play here in addition to well chosen role players.  No way St. Cloud should have 8 guys with more goals than our highest scorer.  

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Irish said:

I respect your hockey knowledge, but then why are we on the road for the first round of the playoffs and Duluth (looking for back-to back titles) and Denver are once again at the Frozen Four and St. Cloud (before their annual choke job) the top rated team in College Hockey.  According to you, the only guys we have missed on are the one and done guys we don't want because - see Boston University.  We are excelling at developing 200 foot players.  We have the best system (one that is used by the Pros), and we are fine in player development.  Why does our top scorer have 10 goals?  Something is off the rails.  To Berry's credit he seems to be recruiting his butt of lately - now if only he would address the roster dead weight and coaching staff.  Reading Schloss's article on how former Sioux are the top scoring college program in the pros only emphasized our current roster woes.  See anyone on this year's roster that would add to the pro scoring total?  We are used to having some absolute studs play here in addition to well chosen role players.  No way St. Cloud should have 8 guys with more goals than our highest scorer.  

Agreed with his post.....but we have missed on guys who have chosen to go elsewhere.  It is what it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes and yes and yes...

we have not landed one of the NHL stud prospects since Jost.  Happens.  It hurts.  As I watched Makor play I kept thinking about Toews.  Top 4 birth year talent.  That's tough to land.  

There are what? 30 super studs by birth year 15-20 that are the real deal.  Toews and Oshie and Nelson were Regional guys...like BU getting Eichel, we got Toews. 

Parise and Boeser were coups...unbelievable job by Blaiser and Hak/Berry.

guys drafted after second round are marginally different than undrafted guys.  

Its not "skills" it's what role will you play.  

Even in NHL, after the Uber elite, it's really about how well you can do a couple tasks.

we need an elite offensive player.  

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Yes and yes and yes...

we have not landed one of the NHL stud prospects since Jost.  Happens.  It hurts.  As I watched Makor play I kept thinking about Toews.  Top 4 birth year talent.  That's tough to land.  

There are what? 30 super studs by birth year 15-20 that are the real deal.  Toews and Oshie and Nelson were Regional guys...like BU getting Eichel, we got Toews. 

Even in NHL, after the Uber elite, it's really about how well you can do a couple tasks.

And Makar was in UND's backyard.

9 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Yes and yes and yes...

I would kick that back to "guys after round 4 or 5" in todays game.  Scouts are getting better and better.  If you go in the third, you're solid.  But, your point is fair.

USHL

Pinto - '00 (F): 28-31-59 (56GP) 

Gaber - '99 (F): 22-28-50 (61GP)

Halliday - '02 (F): 10-24-34 (55GP)

Ness - '99 (F): 16-17-33 (57GP)

Mancinelli - '01 (F): 13-17-30 (58GP)

Schmaltz - 01' (F): 5-13-18 (60GP)

Frisch - '00 (D): 4-13-17 (57GP)

Reid - 01' (D): 2-17-17 (60GP)

Miller - 01' (D): 4-12-16 (48GP)

Randklev - '99 (F): 3-8-11 (21GP)

Montgomery - 02': (F) 4-3-7 (36GP)

Costello - 00' (F): 3-4-7 (55GP)

NTDP U18

Caulfield - 01' (F): 12-24-36 (56GP)

Rowe - 01' (G): 3.49 GAA / .872 SV% (32GP)

NTDP U17

Sanderson -02' (D): 4-19-23 (41GP) 

Kleven -02' (D): 3-5-8 (49GP)

AJHL

Bast - 00' (D): 7-28-35 (45GP)

BCHL

Blaisdell - 01' (F): 33-25-58 (51GP)

Stratton - 99' (F): 11-30-41 (50GP)

Rizzo - 01' (F): 11-29-40 (37GP)

Bowen -02' (F) 19-20-39 (58GP)

SJHL

Albrecht - 98' (F) 33-56-89 (56GP)

Other

Kunz -02' (F)

James -03' (F)

Moore - 01' (D)

Johnson - 01' (G)

Ausmus '04' (D)

Panzer '04 (F)

Spicer '04 (F)

•  
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, AJS said:

USHL

Pinto - '00 (F): 28-31-59 (56GP) 

Gaber - '99 (F): 22-28-50 (61GP)

Halliday - '02 (F): 10-24-34 (55GP)

Ness - '99 (F): 16-17-33 (57GP)

Mancinelli - '01 (F): 13-17-30 (58GP)

Schmaltz - 01' (F): 5-13-18 (60GP)

Frisch - '00 (D): 4-13-17 (57GP)

Reid - 01' (D): 2-17-17 (60GP)

Miller - 01' (D): 4-12-16 (48GP)

Randklev - '99 (F): 3-8-11 (21GP)

Montgomery - 02': (F) 4-3-7 (36GP)

Costello - 00' (F): 3-4-7 (55GP)

NTDP U18

Caulfield - 01' (F): 12-24-36 (56GP)

Rowe - 01' (G): 3.49 GAA / .872 SV% (32GP)

NTDP U17

Sanderson -02' (D): 4-19-23 (41GP) 

Kleven -02' (D): 3-5-8 (49GP)

AJHL

Bast - 00' (D): 7-28-35 (45GP)

BCHL

Blaisdell - 01' (F): 33-25-58 (51GP)

Stratton - 99' (F): 11-30-41 (50GP)

Rizzo - 01' (F): 11-29-40 (37GP)

Bowen -02' (F) 19-20-39 (58GP)

SJHL

Albrecht - 98' (F) 33-56-89 (56GP)

Other

Kunz -02' (F)

James -03' (F)

Moore - 01' (D)

Johnson - 01' (G)

Ausmus '04' (D)

Panzer '04 (F)

Spicer '04 (F)

•  

Kunz has 2 pts in his first two ushl games. At this point it would seem like a long shot for Costello to be at UND.  He was one of those situations that may have rushed his development.  Shocked at Stratton's numbers.  I believe his coach noted last year that he could be in the 80 pt range.  Far off.

29 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Kunz has 2 pts in his first two ushl games. At this point it would seem like a long shot for Costello to be at UND.  He was one of those situations that may have rushed his development.  Shocked at Stratton's numbers.  I believe his coach noted last year that he could be in the 80 pt range.  Far off.

The leading scorer on Wenatchee had 51 points so the coach clearly overestimated the offensive capabilities of his team. Also, to be fair, Stratton had 62 points if we are including playoffs, since he was very good during their playoff run. The stats above aren’t factoring those in for the BCHL. 

7 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

The leading scorer on Wenatchee had 51 points so the coach clearly overestimated the offensive capabilities of his team. Also, to be fair, Stratton had 62 points if we are including playoffs, since he was very good during their playoff run. The stats above aren’t factoring those in for the BCHL. 

I know.  I tracked him during the year.  He was one of the older guys on the team.  The team was good and he was supposed to be the guy.  Obviously he was a top 3-4 guy on their team, but he was supposed to be the guy.  Just pointing out facts, he regressed in year two.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I know.  I tracked him during the year.  He was one of the older guys on the team.  The team was good and he was supposed to be the guy.  Obviously he was a top 3-4 guy on their team, but he was supposed to be the guy.  Just pointing out facts, he regressed in year two.

You actually saw him play how many times? Regressed based on his stat line? 

4 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Is Carson Albrecht still expected to come in this fall and has anybody seen him play? Have not heard anything since earlier announcement of his commitment.

Yes, he’ll be here. He hasn’t signed his NLI so coaches can’t comment on him yet.