SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

48 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, not sure what the thought process was there.  His brother is at Wisconsin, and even if he didn't like it there I would assume he could go to Major Junior as a stepping stone to the NHL.

He'll play one year and bounce most likely.

World Selects Invitational finished up today:

'03 Blue Army won the '03 Division

'04 Minnesota Blades lost in the semi-finals

'04 Western Canada Selects lost in the quarter-finals

'03

Blake - 03 Blue Army - 3G 3A 6Pts (8GP)

'04

Singleton - 04 Western Canada Selects - 5G 5A 10Pts (7GP)

Ausmus - 04 Minnesota Blades - 2G 5A 7pts (8GP)

Spicer - 04 Minnesota Blades - 4A 4pt (7PG)

• Leading scorer for '03 Blue Army had 8 points (three way tie)
  • Maddox Fleming (17 points) / Issac Howard 13 points lead the way for Minnesota Blades
    • Ausmus / Spicer were held off score sheet the last 3 games
  • Singleton lead his team in scoring, next closest had 6 points (three way tie)

Uneducated, looking strictly at points, I would have put the recruits in the following categories for this tournament:

Great

Singleton: Pretty commanding leading in scoring for his team, which made it to the quarter finals

Solid

Blake: Really picked up his scoring after being shut out his first 3 games. Very respectable performance being two points off the team lead on the Championship team

Ausmus: Tougher when looking at points for a D-man. Started out on a tear, still finished with a solid point total, but held off score sheet for final 4 games

Blake : 03 Blue Army - 2G 2A 4Pts (6GP)

Respectable

Spicer: Tied lowest scoring forward on the team, but also handful at 5 / 6 points. Did play one less game then them as well.

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

World Selects Invitational finished up today:

'03 Blue Army won the '03 Division

'04 Minnesota Blades lost in the semi-finals

'04 Western Canada Selects lost in the quarter-finals

'03

Blake - 03 Blue Army - 3G 3A 6Pts (8GP)

'04

Singleton - 04 Western Canada Selects - 5G 5A 10Pts (7GP)

Ausmus - 04 Minnesota Blades - 2G 5A 7pts (8GP)

Spicer - 04 Minnesota Blades - 4A 4pt (7PG)

• Leading scorer for '03 Blue Army had 8 points (three way tie)
  • Maddox Fleming (17 points) / Issac Howard 13 points lead the way for Minnesota Blades
    • Ausmus / Spicer were held off score sheet the last 3 games
  • Singleton lead his team in scoring, next closest had 6 points (three way tie)

Uneducated, looking strictly at points, I would have put the recruits in the following categories for this tournament:

Great

Singleton: Pretty commanding leading in scoring for his team, which made it to the quarter finals

Solid

Blake: Really picked up his scoring after being shut out his first 3 games. Very respectable performance being two points off the team lead on the Championship team

Ausmus: Tougher when looking at points for a D-man. Started out on a tear, still finished with a solid point total, but held off score sheet for final 4 games

Blake : 03 Blue Army - 2G 2A 4Pts (6GP)

Respectable

Spicer: Tied lowest scoring forward on the team, but also handful at 5 / 6 points. Did play one less game then them as well.

Spicer appeared to score a goal yesterday.  Not sure how accurate the stat sheet is.

Just now, scpa0305 said:

Spicer appeared to score a goal yesterday.  Not sure how accurate the stat sheet is.

Agreed, I noticed that as well, he definitely had one at one point and then I checked after the game and it was switched. Also, during one game, I know the score sheet had Singleton with two goals, when someone on Twitter had him with 2 goals and an assist that game.

So I’m currently in Alberta on vacation, and made the hour and a half trek to Brooks where the National Junior A Championships are going on. Luke Bast has 2 goals (and maybe an assist) going into the 3rd. His team is up 6-3. Aggressive offensively, but doesn’t play a lot of PK. Not a polished player yet, but fun to watch. 

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but looking at defensive pipeline I'm starting to wonder if there's room for everyone, for the year they should enter college. It's incredibly stacked with talent for guys that could come in after next year. There will be two Seniors graduating (Poolman / Peski) and at least two guys who could leave after next year (Kierstad / JBD), but still. Here's the list:

1. Bast (+1 from HS graduation): Already delayed a year, 3 years of Juniors under his belt. Highly offensively skilled, (see @siouxforce19 report above)
  2. Sanderson (---) Does anyone know what grade he's going to be next year? He has one of those B-days where he could go either way. I believe he'll only be a Senior in HS next year though. It's still a year out, but I believe he's currently slated as a 1st round pick. Unless he somehow considerably drops (based on his production this year, it's doubtful), he has to be a guy that UND gets to try to accelerate. A 1st / 2nd round pick isn't going to hang out in the USHL another year.
  3. Kleven (True Freshman) - He'll be another guy that given his draft status will be coming in. He's probably slated as a late 1st / round 2nd type guy right now. I'd put him in the category given his size / skating ability that he's more likely to rise than fall next year in the draft. 
  4. Moore (+1 from HS graduation): Ranked 86th right now (NA) and will be playing the USHL. I don't see a mid-round draft pick getting delayed after playing a year of Juniors
  5. Miller (True Freshman): The guy makes every All-Star team that's he been eligible to play on. Will have two full seasons of the USHL
  6. Reid (True Freshman): He'll have 3 full years of Juniors under his belt.

Defensively, this will be truly one of the great classes I've ever seen. It'll be a group that will be incredibly fun to watch their progression next year. Especially from an NHL Draft type speculation. Given how everyone outside of Bast and Moore (drafted) will be a Senior in HS next year, you have to hope that some are willing to delay one more year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but looking at defensive pipeline I'm starting to wonder if there's room for everyone, for the year they should enter college. It's incredibly stacked with talent for guys that could come in after next year. There will be two Seniors graduating (Poolman / Peski) and at least two guys who could leave after next year (Kierstad / JBD), but still. Here's the list:

1. Bast (+1 from HS graduation): Already delayed a year, 3 years of Juniors under his belt. Highly offensively skilled, (see @siouxforce19 report above)
  2. Sanderson (---) Does anyone know what grade he's going to be next year? He has one of those B-days where he could go either way. I believe he'll only be a Senior in HS next year though. It's still a year out, but I believe he's currently slated as a 1st round pick. Unless he somehow considerably drops (based on his production this year, it's doubtful), he has to be a guy that UND gets to try to accelerate. A 1st / 2nd round pick isn't going to hang out in the USHL another year.
  3. Kleven (True Freshman) - He'll be another guy that given his draft status will be coming in. He's probably slated as a late 1st / round 2nd type guy right now. I'd put him in the category given his size / skating ability that he's more likely to rise than fall next year in the draft. 
  4. Moore (+1 from HS graduation): Ranked 86th right now (NA) and will be playing the USHL. I don't see a mid-round draft pick getting delayed after playing a year of Juniors
  5. Miller (True Freshman): The guy makes every All-Star team that's he been eligible to play on. Will have two full seasons of the USHL

Defensively, this will be truly one of the great classes I've ever seen. It'll be a group that will be incredibly fun to watch their progression next year. Especially from an NHL Draft type speculation. Given how everyone outside of Bast and Moore (drafted) will be a Senior in HS next year, you have to hope that some are willing to delay one more year. 

Tychonick could leave early; I expect a big jump from him this year.  He showed flashes.

Reid is likely content staying with the Chicago Steel considering they play out of Fox Valley Ice and he's from Geneva.  That's as ideal of a USHL situation as it gets.

We are loaded on D and seemingly in net. Now we just need some goals!

11 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Reid is likely content staying with the Chicago Steel considering they play out of Fox Valley Ice and he's from Geneva.  That's as ideal of a USHL situation as it gets.

Better than the month or so that Ethan Frisch (of Moorhead, MN) played for Fargo? ;) 

To point, I see a run of losing defensemen after two or three seasons coming, starting now. 

14 hours ago, AJS said:

I wonder what kind of impact Kleven will end up making.  After watching a few of the games with the U.S. National team, I can see him spending a lot of time in the penalty box, as college hockey seems to be wanting to take the punishing hits out of the game.  We're getting to the point where anything that looks like it hurts will draw a penalty.  I can see him getting a bunch of unwarranted penalties like Matt Greene and Andrew MacWilliam.  It sounds like he is progressing offensively nicely, so hopefully that will offset some of the attention I think he will garner because of his aggressive hitting.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 7:07 PM, AJS said:

Just saw on Twitter that Cooper Moore is headed to the BCHL to play for Chilliwack instead of the USHL. 

13 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/2017/05/01/ushl-draft-phase-1-top-300-rankings/

Interesting to see how things shaped up 2 years later. Among other tbings, they listed Rizzo as a WHL risk prior to his commitment.

Very, it's fun to look how things have played out since then. Couple things that stuck out. 

• Nailed their Top 3
  • Caulfield ranked much higher than he would be now
  • Cole Caufield at 45
  • Bobby Brink at 65

Overall though, a pretty solid list looking back at it

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/1761952-Former-DU-forward-Brendan-Budy-commits-to-UND?fbclid=IwAR2nmCf5hAQSjxg1sRjZOYCl3OS14AtZ13BlX3CsDq_O8oxAZszsH_BsEto

New forward recruit for 2020 class, played with DU last season so will only have 3 years of eligibility left.

Would guess this would rule out getting Jay O’Brien after he spends a year in Penticton.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Would guess this would rule out getting Jay O’Brien after he spends a year in Penticton.

I’m guessing he ends up on the east coast...but they’d make room for him if he was interested.

also, und is implementing the PEP program.  Heard an odd rumor some flips may be in the works.

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’m guessing he ends up on the east coast...but they’d make room for him if he was interested.

also, und is implementing the PEP program.  Heard an odd rumor some flips may be in the works.

I could see Costello and Mancinelli flipping because I would guess they would be the ones getting pushed back.

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

PEP?

54 minutes ago, AJS said:

Budy is a kind of an under the radar really important and big commitment. What an add to the 2020 class. A top four of Bowen, Halliday, Rizzo and Budy is spectacular.

Is Halliday a 2020?  With Ness, Gaber and Randklev and Mancinelli, it certainly would seem something has to give. 

24 minutes ago, tnt said:

Is Halliday a 2020?  With Ness, Gaber and Randklev and Mancinelli, it certainly would seem something has to give. 

Yes, every article on his commitment has him coming in 2020.

GF Herald:

The current plan is for him to play the next two years with Central Illinois Flying Aces, then come to campus in the fall of 2020.