SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Cameron Rowe turns 18 on June 1, I'm going to assume then that he is ineligible for another year at the USDT.  Tried to find if any USHL team has his draft rights, but I didn't have much luck.  Ranked right now as the #4 North American goalie so a mid to later round pick I'd guess at this point.  

25 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Cameron Rowe turns 18 on June 1, I'm going to assume then that he is ineligible for another year at the USDT.  Tried to find if any USHL team has his draft rights, but I didn't have much luck.  Ranked right now as the #4 North American goalie so a mid to later round pick I'd guess at this point.  

Correct, NTDP goes by birth year, once your birth year "graduates" from the U-18's, you're done with the program.

I've always found it odd that they go by birth year instead of a date that more coincides with that players grade (i.e. Aug 1st). Does anyone know the reasoning for this decision? I'm guessing it specifically is tied to certain tournaments (thinking U-18) that they don't want players to age out of.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Correct, NTDP goes by birth year, once your birth year "graduates" from the U-18's, you're done with the program.

I've always found it odd that they go by birth year instead of a date that more coincides with that players grade (i.e. Aug 1st). Does anyone know the reasoning for this decision? I'm guessing it specifically is tied to certain tournaments (thinking U-18) that they don't want players to age out of.

Because all the big tourney's go by birth year. 

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Bowden Singleton committed...Dub first rounder. 

14 years old?  Wowzers, had to get his commitment in before the rules change.
Didn't realize he had been drafted that high in the WHL.  Odds that he ever makes it to campus?  :)  

5 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Didn't realize he had been drafted that high in the WHL.  Odds that he ever makes it to campus?  :)  

There has been multiple 05s going this week.  He’s an 04

53 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Don’t know, but you have nothing to lose because you will know in plenty of time to recruit a replacement.

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This kid definitely seems like he could be worth the gamble.

Yeah. He’ll get heavy pressure to sign with his drafted team if he keeps progressing, so hopefully he still ends up here if he’s still a stud in 4 years. 

• Upvote 1

Judging by the tweeter traffic of the denim clad keyboouArd wouriours up NooouuRth...

The major junior folks are salivating over these new ncaa rules.

It is absolutely the best thing for young athletes to push back the commitment age.  BUT it opens a huge window for major pressure from the WHL teams especially when they really cant be discussing potential NCAA possibilities. 

They are thinking they will now lose much less to college now... and they dont seem soooaurry aboOUt it al all.

Good the 'adults in charge'' of the recruiting process  voted in a change....no signing of a recruit until  August  of their junior year of high school....Now maybe the sports pages of the Fargo Herald will revert to the legacy of C D Locklin and not  'Teen' magazine....(google CD Locklin to see when Herald sports reflected professional journalism and not a 'tweet'fest...)

Great get by the coaching staff! As far as WHL Bantam Draft hype, this reminds me of Ethan Bowen.

What's everyone's feelings about the new recruiting rules that are starting tomorrow? I was kind of on the fence at first, but the more I think about it, the more I'm on board. Not only on board, but I really can't find any negative aspects. It's going to be so nice for everyone involved (schools and players) to not be in such a rush, give everyone time to really think it over. My original hesitation was over the Major Juniors, but Ryan Kennedy (THN) had a great point. This will weed out the players that just commit looking to deter certain teams from drafting them. Every commitment that takes place going forward will feel stronger (that could just be me).

From a selfish standpoint, does anyone else think this new rule will ultimately help the UND's / Minnesota's / Denvers of the college hockey world? It basically gives everyone an extra year (or two) to watch players develop. Of course, there will still be misses, but the more time and information everyone has the better. There will be less risk involved and a higher chance of that player to succeed. To be honest, I'm surprised the majority of schools would want this. Right now, the earlier recruiting means more misses for the big schools and a chance for the others to wait and pick up players that are more developed. Won't be that easy anymore.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Judging by the tweeter traffic of the denim clad keyboouArd wouriours up NooouuRth...

It is absolutely the best thing for young athletes to push back the commitment age.  BUT it opens a huge window for major pressure from the WHL teams especially when they really cant be discussing potential NCAA possibilities. 

They are thinking they will now lose much less to college now... and they dont seem soooaurry aboOUt it al all.

It's as if the NCAA forgot hockey has a unique situation with the MJ route as an alternative. 

8 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Abosutely….Bubs will have to alter his recruiting strategy.  Especially since the other MN team are getting better MN kids. This will probably hurt us and DU the most.

My concern is the "PUSH" from the CHL teams will be to dangle the "quicker" route of major junior before they can be advised fully of the potential of the college development path. 

The good thing is most hockey parents are rational humans who will keep their players grounded and not caught up in the false promise........   :whistling:

21 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

My concern is the "PUSH" from the CHL teams will be to dangle the "quicker" route of major junior before they can be advised fully of the potential of the college development path. 

The good thing is most hockey parents are rational humand who will keep their players grounded and not caught up in the false promise........   :whistling:

IALTO!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Abosutely….Bubs will have to alter his recruiting strategy.  Especially since the other MN team are getting better MN kids. This will probably hurt us and DU the most.

We aren't going to need to worry about that with Don Lucia as our new assistant!

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The good thing is most hockey parents are rational humans who will keep their players grounded and not caught up in the false promise........   :whistling:

NCAA:  "You can't talk to these kids until they are older."

Major Junior/CHL:  "HIGH FIVES FOR EVERYONE!!!!"

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, ChetSteadman said:

It’s a bummer we couldn’t get all these new 10 year old recruits together for an Easter egg hunt last weekend.

Word is that the Canad water park is a big hit on the campus visit weekends, and that the new memorial union will include a Chuck E Cheese.  Delta adding staff to deal with the influx of unaccompanied minors flying to GFK.

• Upvote 3

Bowden Singleton goes 43rd in the WHL Bantam Draft to the Vancouver Giants. You would think the UND coaching staff would have to be really pleased with that. That's a pretty significant drop for a guy that was a Top 10/15 lock a week ago, prior to his commitment. A couple Michigan commits still went in the 1st round, you would think that wouldn't be a great sign.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Bowden Singleton goes 43rd in the WHL Bantam Draft to the Vancouver Giants. You would think the UND coaching staff would have to be really pleased with that. That's a pretty significant drop for a guy that was a Top 10/15 lock a week ago, prior to his commitment. A couple Michigan commits still went in the 1st round, you would think that wouldn't be a great sign.

Sounds like Singleton really wants to be here. Hope that continues. 

58 minutes ago, AJS said:

Not to mention DU commit Matthew Savoie went 1st overall.  And the team that selected him also picked up the rights to his brother from Regina...Matthew's older brother was also committed to DU.  Either they're really gambling on a "hope" that both brothers elect to go WHL...or they already know the brothers intentions.  That can't be a good sign for the DU commitments.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits