Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

I'll be absolutely stunned if the final five doesn't look something like this:

Spirit

Sundogs

Flames

Pride

Blizzard

Unfortunately I think you probably nailed at least 3...possibly 4...of the final five. I would sincerely hope Sundogs is isn't truly in the conversation.

Just to play devil's advocate... They announce the nickname will be SunDogs. Then what? Fans stop being UND fans? Fans jump on the Bison bandwagon? I really don't care what the nickname is at this point. I am sick of just being UND, sick of being asked for people out of the loop what the name is going to be, when are they getting a new name. Just name the school and lets move on. If its the UND Fighting Sun Dogs, then go Dawgs. (see what I did there, ex. Georgia).

Whatever the name is going to be........it will always, always be THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA!!!!!  Its been that way since 1883 and will continue to be that until they shut the school down.

Just to play devil's advocate... They announce the nickname will be SunDogs. Then what? Fans stop being UND fans? Fans jump on the Bison bandwagon? I really don't care what the nickname is at this point. I am sick of just being UND, sick of being asked for people out of the loop what the name is going to be, when are they getting a new name. Just name the school and lets move on. If its the UND Fighting Sun Dogs, then go Dawgs. (see what I did there, ex. Georgia).

Whatever the name is going to be........it will always, always be THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA!!!!! Its been that way since 1883 and will continue to be that until they shut the school down.

If Kelley is concerned because merchandise sales are down...just wait until UND breaks out a Sundogs logo on its t-shirts and replica jerseys. It'll make new Coke look like a smash hit by comparison.

And if they go with "sUNDogs" just to be cute...I'm at a loss for words.

• Upvote 1

yeah I get that, but it's kinda like the interlocking ND thing. It's different than Notre Dames but average rube will gravitate that way. Mat be theres a variation or logo that would make distinguish it for me. We're on the same page though, I feel.

Be the Fighting Norse and use the Fighting Irish guy logo with his fists in the air and slighly modify it.  Already have a similar interlocking ND logo, might as well fgo all in!! :)

• Upvote 3

Be the Fighting Norse and use the Fighting Irish guy logo with his fists in the air and slighly modify it.  Already have a similar interlocking ND logo, might as well fgo all in!! :)

I love it because it exposes the hypocrisy of the NCAA, but were the NCAA to actually read their own policy they'd nail us again. Why? Their Policy prohibits nicknames relating to "race, ethnicity, or national origin" ... but they only selectively enforce it. 

If Kelley is concerned because merchandise sales are down...just wait until UND breaks out a Sundogs logo on its t-shirts and replica jerseys. It'll make new Coke look like a smash hit by comparison.

And if they go with "sUNDogs" just to be cute...I'm at a loss for words.

My personal observation only, but Sundogs only seems to be a popular straw man on this board.  Can't say I've talked to anyone who's seriously mentioned it as an option.

Doesn't even crack my top 20, but I've heard and read on here suggestions that I think are a lot worse.

My personal observation only, but Sundogs only seems to be a popular straw man on this board.  Can't say I've talked to anyone who's seriously mentioned it as an option.

Doesn't even crack my top 20, but I've heard and read on here suggestions that I think are a lot worse.

Spot on.  Sundogs is the boogieman created by Goon.  

So you are not a fan of "Big Cocks"?

Spot on.  Sundogs is the boogieman created by Goon.  

Sundogs was first put out there by BRIDGES, the group behind the old moniker being removed. They like it because a sundog looks like a diversity rainbow. < unicorn puke here > 

Goon just picked up the water bucket for them. ;) 

Speaking from experience, Sundogs is a lame name for a sports team.

My personal observation only, but Sundogs only seems to be a popular straw man on this board. Can't say I've talked to anyone who's seriously mentioned it as an option. Doesn't even crack my top 20, but I've heard and read on here suggestions that I think are a lot worse.

When people ask me what the new nickname will be I say Sundogs. (Which I'm kidding) but a few people (girls) said they really liked it and like how it relates to the area.

Don't forget someone already registered the und sundog domain name at twamley.

We can be the red herrings

A (long) interesting read even though it is Slate.com:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015/01/13/university_of_north_dakota_is_in_search_of_a_nickname_and_logo_to_replace.html 

EDIT: Better link.

http://www.emblemetric.com/2015/01/13/what-next-north-dakota/

Some of the information is "off" or opinion, but it's worth a read if nothing else for these factoids:

In my opinion, universities have not often done a good job of replacing Native American nicknames and logos.  Fearful of controversy and hamstrung by committee decision-making processes, they have often selected names and marks that are bland, generic, uninspiring, and lacking in distinctiveness.

Birds are a typical choice. Of Division I schools that dropped Native American nicknames, 39 percent subsequently adopted bird mascots. By comparison, among other Division I schools, only 15 percent have bird mascots.

Colors are also popular in post–Native American nicknames. Fully half feature some reference to color, compared with just 7 percent of other schools’ nicknames.

Sometimes, birds and colors are combined, as in the case of the Miami RedHawks, Seattle Redhawks, Southeast Missouri State Redhawks, and Marquette Golden Eagles. UND would do well to avoid these clichés by selecting a name that is distinctive and memorable.

Logos can be very important to universities, and not just for their symbolic value; just ask the University of Texas, which makes more than $10 million a year by licensing its Longhorn mark. 

There is good advice in there. 

Logos can be very important to universities, and not just for their symbolic value; just ask the University of Texas, which makes more than $10 million a year by licensing its Longhorn mark.

Whoa whoa whoa.... I thought that was a Bison thing? LOL.

You're mistaking the Longhorn logo with the NDSU-universally-known "Hook 'em Horns" gesture. No, wait, I mean "those who stay will be champions."

Whoa whoa whoa.... I thought that was a Bison thing?   LOL.

Yeah, NDSU DID NOT COPY Texas in any way, shape or form.  The sign that they make is very original.  Just ask one of the minions in Fargo who are HUGE Bison fans, even though they probably couldn't tell you what conference the football team plays in...they'll tell you as much. :bigsmile:

• Upvote 1