SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

If it's a horse I'd prefer a horse that doesn't look quite so effeminate and stoned. 

Change the eye to green. Done. 

220px-Legend_cover.jpg

Yeah, if they could incorporate the fierce look of this horse with the other proposed logo, it wouldn't look half bad.  I guess if you can't go with the Sioux that took down the Bison with regularity, you might as well go with the tool that helped them take down the Bison. 

The Nakota horse is obviously a horse. But Nakota actually represents a native american tribe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakota

Could you just see the NCAA making a stink about this if we selected Nakota as our name?!!!

Horse is Nokota, a shortened version of North Dakota. Tribe is Nakota, just like Dakota and Lakota.

• Upvote 1

So it is time to find a new nickname. I have to admit that I am one who was unwilling to part with the nickname, Sioux. Its uniqueness represented the pride, courage, strength, resilence, hardiness … not only of people of the Sioux tribes, but of the people of North Dakota. As this has dragged out, the pride no longer exists.

I am hoping that in the selection of a new nickname, caution will be taken to choose one that is difficult to corrupt and to morph into other terms that are derogatory or demeaning . We do not want to repeat some of our past experiences with the students of opponent schools.

When the U of Minn chose Gophers they perhaps did not consider that opponents would add another ‘o’ , calling them the Goophers, or Goofs for short, or the fact that the name represented a Rodent. Putting Golden in front of Gophers does not help.

Witness also the Twins being called the Twinkies for their under performance.

I am concerned that some of the candidates proposed to replace the nickname have the potential for being corrupted. Flickertails, for example, would be shortened to The ‘Tails, like The Avalanche is shortened to The Avs. The name, Flickertails, was no doubt dropped in the 30s for good reason and it would be worse in this era of Title IX.

I understand the sentiment for Nokotas. I even like the suggested logos, perhaps with added flames coming out the nostrils. However it is necessary to consider how it can be corrupted. I envision that it will be shortened to Nokies, much like the Hokies of Virginia Tech. Therein lies the problem. It will be a simple matter for opposing students to add a second ‘o’ to morph it into a demeaning sense. Even UND fans may call their teams by that term when they are under performing.

Looking at the choices mentioned in this forum thread it is clear there are no animals native to ND that would make a good mascot. Names like Avions, Aeros, or even Stealth could be used to recognize our unique aviation program. Or names like Wildcatters or Roughnecks to highlight our oil industry. As one of Scandinavian descent I can appreciate Norse, or Fighting Norwegians, etc., but they seem pretty dull.

Along that theme, however, I would suggest something like Thunderbolts or Thunderbolts of the North, terms that were used in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles to describe the Viking attacks. Icons could be a lightning bolt or even the Thunderbolt fighter of WW II, also alluding to our aviation program.

It is a difficult challenge to find a nickname that is representative of North Dakota, the University and its sports teams.  At this time we risk duplication of names used by other schools. I am hoping that the people tasked with these decisions have the good sense to choose something that is not lame or corruptible. Just my two cents.

Looked up ND based military units, got a couple ideas there.

Bomber Barons

Warbirds

Rough Rideas (retread, I know)

Liberators

Peacemakers

Not all are unit names but inspired by Wikipedia pages

Well, I suggested Predators (the plane, not the animal) earlier, but nobody seemed to be interested.  I like these ideas too.

Well, I suggested Predators (the plane, not the animal) earlier, but nobody seemed to be interested. I like these ideas too.

I like Nokotas a lot, but I don't think I'm gonna stop brainstorming until the fat lady's sung. I've gotten nostalgic about military units lately and remembered some war stuff my grandpa (WWII vet) told me. With aviation, UND has some high ranking for being a military friendly school, I think there's a good possibility there. I like predators, I just don't love that Nashville has it.

Besides the ROTC connection, aviation connection, we are looking for a name to be proud of, so I figured it's a good place to explore (I'm sure others have).

I like Nokotas a lot, but I don't think I'm gonna stop brainstorming until the fat lady's sung. I've gotten nostalgic about military units lately and remembered some war stuff my grandpa (WWII vet) told me. With aviation, UND has some high ranking for being a military friendly school, I think there's a good possibility there. I like predators, I just don't love that Nashville has it.

Besides the ROTC connection, aviation connection, we are looking for a name to be proud of, so I figured it's a good place to explore (I'm sure others have).

One, that is an NHL team not a college.  Two, Nashville's is an animal and ours would be a military plane.  Hopefully there are some good ones on the final list.

One, that is an NHL team not a college. Two, Nashville's is an animal and ours would be a military plane. Hopefully there are some good ones on the final list.

yeah I get that, but it's kinda like the interlocking ND thing. It's different than Notre Dames but average rube will gravitate that way. Mat be theres a variation or logo that would make distinguish it for me. We're on the same page though, I feel.

What about Skunk Bears? Yeah, different but not the norm and kind of fun. It's another name for a wolverine, which are known as real tough SOBs who'll fight anybody and anything and known to take down critters much larger than itself (Bison, Bulldogs, Huskies, Grizzlies, Bobcats, Mavericks,...?).