SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So, a rumor of softball on campus, east of Nut Lab, between University and the Pollard Center. 

Whodathunk it. ... (see page 3 of 25). 

I've like the idea since I first saw that plan in ... August of 2018. It will make a nice entrance to campus when westbound on University. 

PS - If Chaves is floating building the softball field it's probably a "tell" that they have what they need (or are right there) for Phase II at Pollard. That would make sense given the recent GFH article about construction starting this summer on Memorial Village and ... Phase II. Seems someone's doing fundraising. 

PPS - Page 3 of 25 ... I still say they have a plan for a future parking ramp on the east end of the bridge to nowhere (dead north of old Memorial field). That'd be awesome if you lived in Memorial Village ... covered parking! 

So did he decide not to do a public phase to help get it done sooner or to make it better?  

50 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

So did he decide not to do a public phase to help get it done sooner or to make it better?  

On Pollard? No public phase could be a tell that they have what they need. Or maybe the public phase will include softball facilities if they are close on Phase II. 

@Teeder11would have far better "inside baseball" knowledge on this than me. 

Any plans for a roof on the softball field? I’m joking, but it’s going to be difficult to maintain softball success the way it currently is. Per UND, “The Fighting Hawks have played 38 straight away games since the season began. By the time the season is over, and it is all said and done, the green and white will have played 49 games away from Grand Forks. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Any plans for a roof on the softball field? I’m joking, but it’s going to be difficult to maintain softball success the way it currently is. Per UND, “The Fighting Hawks have played 38 straight away games since the season began. By the time the season is over, and it is all said and done, the green and white will have played 49 games away from Grand Forks. 

The linked PDF (p13) shows the Pollard as a resource for softball. 

Any chance a temporary field could go in there like they did at Alerus? With the track and not "normal" sideline space, I'm guessing no. 

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The linked PDF (p13) shows the Pollard as a resource for softball. 

Any chance a temporary field could go in there like they did at Alerus? With the track and not "normal" sideline space, I'm guessing no. 

With the track in there I don't think it would work.  They utilize it for practices, however.  

I'm pretty sure I remember Chaves saying on his podcast, a year or so ago, that he want's to utilize the Alerus for early season games or a tournament of some sort.  It may have also been about socker, though.  I mainly remember him talking about how smart it was that they installed small, permenant, patches of yellow turf in in the field (that look like flags).  We played a series with Montana there a few years ago as well, I believe.

48 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Could be worthwhile to look into installing some sort of geothermal heating system beneath the playing surface.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Do the parking lot next to it too! :D  

Gotta be careful and learn from ndsu's mistakes on that one.  Their heated sidewalks are never turned on because they didn't account for where the melt would flow (and create an ice rink).

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Gotta be careful and learn from ndsu's mistakes on that one.  Their heated sidewalks are never turned on because they didn't account for where the melt would flow (and create an ice rink).

They'd have figured that out ahead of time if they had an engineering school th.... nevermind. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

You're right!  The Geothermal experts at the EERC can install it, with funding from some sort of green energy grant, and they can research that.  

• 2 weeks later...

south of the library is all torn up (around soaring eagle statue)....

they are moving in furniture into nistler (kinda...just taking possession of some furniture)

and they have dug up between okelly and gillette...wondering if they will make that more green space instead of the old parking lot( i think that was mostly concrete in that area.)

too lazy to take out my phone for pics on my bike ride tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Yes locker rooms and video rooms

thisnshould equate to wins right?

#gamechanger

Locker rooms too?  Legitimately?  Also, is that video room in a new space that was used for something else?  Don't recognize ever seeing a room that large.

17 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Locker rooms too?  Legitimately?  Also, is that video room in a new space that was used for something else?  Don't recognize ever seeing a room that large.

I believe this room  is located directly in front of you when entering through the main entrance.  It might have been a lounge area.

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Why is the athletic department silent about this stuff?

Left it up to the coaches, who in turn waited for photos? Planned to tie in story with Champions Club activities/press during the upcoming summer months? Not wanting to showcase current spending that might lessen perceived urgency of future projects? Tried to time announcement to stand out from REA weight room news?  Focused on HPC fundraising?  Busy with NIL or the systematic dismantling of the NCAA? A moose wandered onto campus and ate the press release?

Hard to say. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/und-seeking-developer-for-portion-of-ray-richards-golf-course

UND seeking developer for portion of Ray Richards Golf Course....

“Any money generated from that ground lease would be used as an endowment to operate and maintain the course moving forward, so there was interest by the family to do that,” he said.

UND looking to develop the driving range portion of Ray Richards.