SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

9 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

If I remember a early rendering had a soccer field over there. Which also seems wierd as you would think the new field at the HPC/Memorial site could host soccer as well as FB practice.

I recall the same. Since that early rendering they've done major work on the soccer pitch in front of REA. I think the still prefer natural surface like at REA. 

I think softball on University makes sense. The grandstand could double as a nice "gateway" to the campus from the east. 

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I recall the same. Since that early rendering they've done major work on the soccer pitch in front of REA. I think the still prefer natural surface like at REA. 

I think softball on University makes sense. The grandstand could double as a nice "gateway" to the campus from the east. 

They leveled it if I remember right because it was terribly unleveled and dangerous with holes. When I was going to school up there they had more games on turf at EGF HS then they did at the Ralph either due to ground conditions or just because it was a better field. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/new-und-student-body-president-vice-president-ready-to-lead-universitys-students-this-fall

552930044_ScreenShot2022-08-02at12_00_43PM.png.f4106000027f229fe70e70656bc10112.png

Hundreds of millions of dollars invested in the academic heart of campus.  Brand new business school.  Brand new memorial union built for - and paid for - by students.  New student housing nearing completion.  Countless aesthetic improvements along University Ave.

And two prominent students - specifically the elected student leaders - chose this photo to submit to the Herald, and the Herald ran it.  Backdrop is a 20-year-old hockey arena (albeit a really, really nice one), with the old (and endlessly controversial) logo plainly visible, with the very future of college athletics hanging in the balance.  A campaign photo, most likely, which speaks volumes about how students still connect with their peers, and where their priorities lie.

THIS is why progress is hard, folks.  Re-branding UND post-Sioux is not a years-long, or even decades-long process.  If moving on ever happens, it will be generations from now.

Yes, a single snapshot - both literally and metaphorically - but one might wonder whether all the aforementioned campus improvements matter to anyone but the old folks, and whether the vast majority of students really view UND as much more than a hockey/party school.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/new-und-student-body-president-vice-president-ready-to-lead-universitys-students-this-fall

552930044_ScreenShot2022-08-02at12_00_43PM.png.f4106000027f229fe70e70656bc10112.png

Hundreds of millions of dollars invested in the academic heart of campus.  Brand new business school.  Brand new memorial union built for - and paid for - by students.  New student housing nearing completion.  Countless aesthetic improvements along University Ave.

And two prominent students - specifically the elected student leaders - chose this photo to submit to the Herald, and the Herald ran it.  Backdrop is a 20-year-old hockey arena (albeit a really, really nice one), with the old (and endlessly controversial) logo plainly visible, with the very future of college athletics hanging in the balance.  A campaign photo, most likely, which speaks volumes about how students still connect with their peers, and where their priorities lie.

THIS is why progress is hard, folks.  Re-branding UND post-Sioux is not a years-long, or even decades-long process.  If moving on ever happens, it will be generations from now.

Yes, a single snapshot - both literally and metaphorically - but one might wonder whether all the aforementioned campus improvements matter to anyone but the old folks, and whether the vast majority of students really view UND as much more than a hockey/party school.

and is that snow on the ground?  when was it taken?

1 minute ago, FSSD said:

Hmmm, you got this out of the picture and headline.  You have a few too many assumptions going on...slow your roll before driving it off the cliff my friend.

22 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If only there was a backdrop that they could have chosen in front of a building that represents the UND students they lead,  Hmmmm.

Union1.jpg

Union2.jpg

we know if they are adding rooftop seating up there still?

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Will those signs ever be updated? The interlocking ND was quickly replaced by hawk logo at HPC…

5 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Will those signs ever be updated? The interlocking ND was quickly replaced by hawk logo at HPC…

The REA refuses to permananetly display the Fighting Hawks logo anywhere in the arena, except on banners.  I wouldn't hold your brerath for anything Fighting Hawks related prominantly displated at the Ralph until 2030 when they hand it over to UND.

36 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Hmmm, you got this out of the picture and headline.  You have a few too many assumptions going on...slow your roll before driving it off the cliff my friend.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.  I've merely provided a nuanced and informed, though perhaps inconvenient, translation.  The relevant facts speak for themselves.  Of course, your mileage may vary.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Collaboration space is the new classroom doncha know. 

not saying there is anything wrong with that...just have talked to two people that have been thru there and that was their first impression.....lots of open spaces and not a lot of classrooms for a building that size...

edit....their first impression was actually how beautiful it is...one of them said nicest building on campus when its all said and done.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

not saying there is anything wrong with that...just have talked to two people that have been thru there and that was their first impression.....lots of open spaces and not a lot of classrooms for a building that size...

edit....their first impression was actually how beautiful it is...one of them said nicest building on campus when its all said and done.

Better be, it's taken them a long time to finish it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Yes. New carpet and outdoor practice track is still incorporated into fund-raising plans for PAC 2. 

You have any idea on when an announcement will be made?  Like are they waiting on a specific date or are they still fundraising?  

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

southeast facing side of nistler

PXL_20220812_015816889.jpg

Got an email announcing the grand opening this fall…also heard that a lot of the stuff/furniture for common areas is delayed/back ordered due to supply chain issues.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackheart said:

Got an email announcing the grand opening this fall…also heard that a lot of the stuff/furniture for common areas is delayed/back ordered due to supply chain issues.

not sure about the furniture stuff....norby's has been moving stuff in for weeks months now...but they may not be the only supplier filling it up tho....