SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU @ The UND 10/14/2023

SiouxFan100

I think this game comes down to our defense and reason for this we need to stop them and give our offense opportunities to take apart this NDSU defense which I think that can be had. But if we let them control ball and keep our offense off the field NDSU defense will look much better than it is. I believe if our offense can jump on them and offen this could be game we have been wanting for long time. If this happens NDSU will take big risks to get back into the game opening them up to making big mistakes and opportunities  to  control the game. We need control tempo of this game and I believe it starts with the defense. This what SDSU did to us and reason we look so badly and reason is  SDSU is FCS team with FBS offensive line and NDSU has had previous years but now they are very good offensive line but not of caliber like SDSU. I don’t get so many of you if you thought we were going to beat SDSU at home with team they were returning from last year that pretty much destroyed everyone last years playoffs. It’s like you all given up on our team and lost all hope we will never win any big game if that’s the case your perfect examples fair weather fans. I disagree with number posters here on how we get to winning championship but I also believe your entitled to your opinion but as fans it’s our opinion it still decided by administration and people they look to guidance. The bottom line I believe we have to remember this and when we’re in middle of season we’re committed with team and coaches for this year and if you want change start working aDministration convincing them a change is needed. But let’s get behind this team and I think difference now is they need to have confidence to play games their capable of.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, siouxweet said:

This is an average NDSU team. This is not an NDSU team of 5,6,7 years ago than owned the FCS.   Their two QBs run the ball well and that is it.  Below average passing game and well below average defense.

If UND thinks they can win simply because NDSU has fallen down to the pack, then this will get ugly. It’s been steadfast and true ever since NDSU started their run, that for UND to beat NDSU, UND will need to rise to the occasion, not wait for NDSU to fall.  As much as I hate NDSU, they are aggressive with their football program, whereas UND institutes mediocre coaches and extends them after losing seasons. Major difference. 

Only hope is that Saturday has a very strong pro-UND crowd on hand and that raises the level of play from all the UND boys. I don’t see the coaches suddenly “flipping the switch” in terms of their demeanor and decision-making in big games. They’ll coach on eggshells as per usual. 

10 hours ago, ND1 said:

Two years ago we were a play away from beating them at home, they went on to win the natty.  They are more of an average team this year.  At the alerus, I like our odds.  

I remember we were down 17-7 and scored a late field goal as window dressing. Can we beat them in GF - yes, as we know it's all about the OL and DL - that's it. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SlowHand said:

Cam Miller has the highest pass completion percentage in the FCS, and is #5 in Passing Efficiency.  Not exactly below average.

Maybe but he can't throw it beyond 10 yards.  So their entire offense is centered within 10 yards.  That backup QB can't throw at all.  Stop the run and they are stuck in mud.  Guessing the majority of that stat is from one game against a really crappy opponent. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Maybe but he can't throw it beyond 10 yards.  So their entire offense is centered within 10 yards.  That backup QB can't throw at all.  Stop the run and they are stuck in mud.  Guessing the majority of that stat is from one game against a really crappy opponent. 

Are you describing UND or NDSU??

Couldn't tell.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This team you speak of went 5-6 … and Bubba was extended. So, according to the administration, you’re not wrong; they think 5–6 is good also.:blink:

I stand by what i said. That team was good. The NDSU game showed that. We had the pieces but underperformed on the road big time that year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I stand by what i said. That team was good. The NDSU game showed that. We had the pieces but underperformed on the road big time that year.

I would say that has been our biggest problem, winning on the road.  You need to be a disciplined and mentally tough team to win on the road consistently, and we haven't been able to do that.  Our home record is great, we need to take the next step and be consistent on the road. 

30 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Agree with the underperformance on the road, which is a major recurrence. The pattern concerns inadequate coaching.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Good, thanks for the reassurance (FYI my comment wasn’t directed towards anyone playing the actual game)

Then who is "UND" that you reference in your commentary stating it will get ugly if "they" think that they can win simply because NDSU has fallen down to the pack?

What the fans think isn't going to have a direct impact on the game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is the worst NDSU team since 2009, but for whatever reason I’m still not confident. I hope I’m wrong but I haven’t seen a killer instinct from our program in a long long time.

Unless we are extremely good and they are extremely bad, I don't see a reason for confidence until we have actually beaten them. Hopefully, sure .... but we've played 2 big games this year and shown we are not up for the task. This is a big game and while they are not Boise or SDSU, i don't trust our team or coaches yet. Hoping for a W and to use this as a springboard for the rest of the season.

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is the worst NDSU team since 2009, but for whatever reason I’m still not confident. I hope I’m wrong but I haven’t seen a killer instinct from our program in a long long time.

Probably because Bubba doesn’t exude that killer influence. Good coach, good guy but anytime they scan to him on the sideline in one of these bigger games and he looks like he just saw a ghost or something. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

UND under this coaching staff is completely different home vs away.  UND home field advantage has been worth about 20 pts. in the past  As hard is the loss was 2 years ago it was a 1 score game and they went on to win the national championship.  UND has won some big games at home.  If the crowd is 95%+ pro UND and loud on all downs on Defense, we have a very good chance to beat them.  I feel more confident in this game than i do vs USD and N Iowa as those games are on the road.  24-21 UND.