SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU @ The UND 10/14/2023

SiouxFan100

A UND team that ended up 5-6 in 2021 competed with and honestly had chances to beat a NDSU team that ended up winning it all. (I understand they had a different QB at the time, but it’s not like Miller ended up being a world beater) 

UND is a different team at home and I believe the crowd will play a factor like it did in 2021. One of the only games I’ve been to in the Al where fans were standing every down on defense. There is absolutely no reason this game shouldn’t be competitive and it’s time to finally beat them.

• Upvote 1

AJS, I’ve been thinking along the same lines as you. While UND rolled a bad team yesterday, I still didn’t see a team that is built to handle a good opponent. Too many missed tackles, too many conversions allowed on 4th down, too many <name your own bugaboo>.  Now maybe it’ll all come together next week, but we keep thinking that and keep getting disappointed.

I’m also not sure if this game is as personal to the team (the coaches, yes, especially the head coach) as it is to the fans. Who’s the Mike Mooney of this team who will take out personal vendettas against them?

Curious side note - some threads have the heading “The UND” while others have simply “UND.”  We have won all the “UND” games and lost all the “The UND” games. This one has “The UND” - can we get that changed?

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Curious side note - some threads have the heading “The UND” while others have simply “UND.”  We have won all the “UND” games and lost all the “The UND” games. This one has “The UND” - can we get that changed?

That bugged me too. “The UND” just sounds clunky. I get we are The University of North Dakota but I don’t know just doesn’t flow the same. 

49 minutes ago, Dustin said:

AJS, I’ve been thinking along the same lines as you. While UND rolled a bad team yesterday, I still didn’t see a team that is built to handle a good opponent. Too many missed tackles, too many conversions allowed on 4th down, too many <name your own bugaboo>.  Now maybe it’ll all come together next week, but we keep thinking that and keep getting disappointed.

I’m also not sure if this game is as personal to the team (the coaches, yes, especially the head coach) as it is to the fans. Who’s the Mike Mooney of this team who will take out personal vendettas against them?

Belquist, Anderson

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

The upper classmen have lost to NDSU 3-4 straight years, getting butts kicked in most of those. If it's not personal for them.....they need to check their pulse. 

And I think Mooney was from MN not ND. But yes.....someone needs to make a Mooney type play next Saturday! 

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m curious to see what uniforms UND pulls out for this game assuming those leaked helmets happen. 

They are wearing the grey helmets.  What other game are they saving them for?  Indiana St?  They are wearing the grey helmets with the grey pants.  Only question is if they have new green jerseys to go with the throwback helmets.

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

NDSU will be favored. Everyone here needs to take NDSU and lay the points......easy money bet.

If UND wins you're ecstatic and you'll care less about the money you lost.

I honestly might have to do this, to make up for my Boise and SDSU losses. Although if NDSU is favored by 5 and they won by 3 that would be a double whammy loss. I think it's going to be a tight game.....with the winner winning by 5 or less. 

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

And I think Mooney was from MN not ND. But yes.....someone needs to make a Mooney type play next Saturday! 

Wasn’t talking about his home state that made it personal. If you watch “When They Were Kings” Mike Mooney visited both schools on recruiting trips. He says NDSU wanted him to be a weight room “cheerleader” while obviously UND wanted to him to actually play. I think he gave an extra gear for Sioux-Bison games. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I honestly might have to do this, to make up for my Boise and SDSU losses. Although if NDSU is favored by 5 and they won by 3 that would be a double whammy loss. I think it's going to be a tight game.....with the winner winning by 5 or less. 

If UND wins it will be close. If NDSU wins they'll easily cover.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Wasn’t talking about his home state that made it personal. If you watch “When They Were Kings” Mike Mooney visited both schools on recruiting trips. He says NDSU wanted him to be a weight room “cheerleader” while obviously UND wanted to him to actually play. I think he gave an extra gear for Sioux-Bison games. 

I've seen that a few times but it has been a while, forgot both schools recruited him. Didn't Bo's dad go to NDSU or something and NDSU never offered him? Bo makes plays every game though, if we had 22 Bo's we'd be sitting pretty good. We need a big unexpected play to come out of nowhere. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m curious to see what uniforms UND pulls out for this game assuming those leaked helmets happen. 

And what else could they pull out of their hat?

The inaugural “Hawk Walk” thru the PUBLIC halls of the Alerus with the cheerleaders forming a walkway on the field as the team enters, filmed from the start by a drone and on the big screen…..with the band playing, the fans standing and clapping…it would help the ambiance and rile up some enthusiasm.

You local big boys, GOBC, get on this….. right away! The whole state will be watching. Much better than an inflatable helmet.

Don’t care what UND wears … just win the damn game. If they have beautiful gray helmets/jerseys and throwback green jerseys but get beat I don’t think I’ll care. 

I’m all about UND kicking the ag schools you know what and I’ll be there for it, but I have minimal confidence in Bubba and this staff winning a big game. Will the players be prepared? Will they be confident? Will the coaches even be confident?

I suspect more “deer in the headlight”  looks … 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Don’t care what UND wears … just win the damn game. If they have beautiful gray helmets/jerseys and throwback green jerseys but get beat I don’t think I’ll care. 

I’m all about UND kicking the ag schools you know what and I’ll be there for it, but I have minimal confidence in Bubba and this staff winning a big game. Will the players be prepared? Will they be confident? Will the coaches even be confident?

I suspect more “deer in the headlight”  looks … 

Next week is a critical inflection point in our season.

With a win, we are 4-2 with renewed confidence and a real chance to run the table and get a seed in the playoffs.

With a loss, we are 3-3 with shaken confidence and likely another 7-4 first round loss on the road finish.

Yep, next Saturday is very big.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I liked seeing the Romfo package and plays, and they probably wanted to run a few of those plays in a real game instead of just in practice. However, seems like that could have maybe been a surprise wrinkle against NDSU and caught them off guard a bit. Running those plays against SU though is going to be met with much stiffer resistance I'm sure. Danny needs to have a masterful game plan called on Saturday. 

Hope we can get a few new wrinkles  in the game

odds that 2 or 3 qbs in the game at the same time?

bizons fans won’t discuss this game because it’s beneath them

hope most bizons fans are locked out of the game because of no tickets

sat by some at a bb game once and the most insufferable fans I’ve sat around ever

• Upvote 1