SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

• 2 weeks later...

Sources: Nation's top FCS offensive coordinator Zach Lujan emerges as top Northwestern target

Lujan already helped South Dakota State to the 2022 FCS title, seeks another

JOHN BRICE

JAN 3, 2024

With significant staff shaking up on the heels of his program's break-through, 8-5 2023 campaign, Northwestern coach David Braun is dialing in his search for the program's next offensive coordinator. 

Sources tell FootballScoop that South Dakota State offensive coordinator Zach Lujan, FootballScoop's 2023 FCS Offensive Coordinator of the Year, has emerged as a top target in Braun's search to replace Mike Bajakian.

Northwestern wrapped up its impressive debut campaign under Braun that unfolded amidst the sudden firing of Pat Fitzgerald with a win last month against Utah in the Las Vegas Bowl.

South Dakota State, meanwhile, is set to face familiar foe Montana Sunday in the FCS national championship game.

Lujan, sources stressed to FootballScoop, remains solely focused on SDSU's attempt to win a second-straight FCS title. The Jackrabbits won the program's first in school history last year with Lujan at the controls of the team's high-powered offense.

A former SDSU quarterback from Anchorage, Alaska, Lujan has been on staff at his alma mater for the past six seasons.

Though he's never coached with Braun, the two faced off several times while Lujan was an offensive assistant for the Jackrabbits and Braun was powerhouse North Dakota State's defensive coordinator.

SDSU is No. 3 nationally in scoring offense entering Sunday's title contest, averaging 38.4 points per game. The Jackrabbits averaged more than 34 ppg a year ago in claiming the school's first-ever NCAA FCS title. 

Anything from SDSU / Montana’s top returning players & the portal? Going to be tough to beat either (like w/ NDSU), if these teams aren’t losing anyone outside of those that are graduating. 

SDSU Football

@GoJacksFB
·
Jan 7
SDSU Football is excited to enhance our championship culture with the Statement 605 Collective. This is an opportunity to directly impact our student-athlete’s lives and experience. #GoJacks  twitter.com/gojacksjfpa/st…

30 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Rumors on social media of a noon press conference announcing Deboer is going to ’Bama…rumors.  Deboer cancelled an 8 am press conference this morning…people joking he had diarrhea…..all rumors.

I saw of that this morning.  If he gets the job does Eric join him.  What story.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

Roehl leaving NDSU for Tennessee State is interesting. Wonder how all the players that rallied behind him to be head coach feel.. 

I'd be interested in that too. Giving the timing, you'd think it's going to be a complete non-issue with the players. Would have been interesting if it happened the week after their season ended, that would have been a different story. 

I talked to an NDSU guy before Entz left and he was to the point he was hoping Roehl would leave or be replaced.   Everyone was tired of Roehl running the same QB run up the gut.  He probably got pushed out by the new Bison guy.

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Really.....I had to look up Tenn. St., know absolutely nothing about them and not very impressed after looking.

I didn't either other than I knew Eddie George was the head coach. I assumed they were probably FBS though but I guess they are FCS. Seems very odd to go from a top FCS school to one that isn't even on the radar. Maybe got a lot of money, was pissed he didn't get HC, wanted experience outside of NDSU. Probably a combination of all of those.  Still pretty surprising. 

6 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

I talked to an NDSU guy before Entz left and he was to the point he was hoping Roehl would leave or be replaced.   Everyone was tired of Roehl running the same QB run up the gut.  He probably got pushed out by the new Bison guy.

Wasn't he just elevated to Associate HC though when the new coach was hired? If so, doubt he got pushed out. But agree a lot of NDSU fans complained about him. 

No comments about a coach making a lateral move to an FCS school??   

Timing is interesting that he waited until after the 30 day transfer portal window.   Just had the article in the paper about how tight him and Tim P. were.  

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

A guy like Eddie George can probably open a lot of doors for him.  

If TSU can win and become relevant, same challenge as everyone else......5-6,  4-7, 6-5 the last 3 seasons.

• Upvote 1