SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That's what people used to think about Miami (the one in Florida) when they were winning almost every game for a decade. And Colorado was garbage for decades after being good before Coach Prime came along to give them some hope. Nothing is "too big to fail".

NDSU isn't exactly collapsing, but they have clearly been surpassed by SDSU (and even lost a player to them). And other programs are always working overtime to get better. The wheel never stops turning. Even Rome eventually fell.

NDSU is fine. They will continue to be the class of FCS football. SDSU is on a hell of a run, there’s no doubt, but let’s see if they can reload heading into next year. This “passing of the torch” may be short lived.

As far as the running back who flipped his commitment, I’m not sure it’s a coincidence that he flipped his commitment the day after ndsu loses its head coach. Maybe it was a toss up in his mind between ndsu and sdsu to begin with and when ndsu lost its coach and there is uncertainty, making a change for him made sense. I’m not panicking on recruiting over one player in these circumstances 

3 hours ago, Und246 said:

The reason the kid decommitted from NDSU to SDSU  is SDSU is simply better than NDSU right now. SDSU is the place to be. Not complicated. 

I’m sure you talked to him and understand exactly why he switched. By your logic SDSU was already better when he committed to NDSU in the first place. 
To reduce such a complicated decision for an 18 year old kid to “SDSU is better, it’s not complicated” is a silly notion. This is a very complicated decision for a kid that grew up a Bison fan.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Bison06 said:

NDSU is fine. They will continue to be the class of FCS football. SDSU is on a hell of a run, there’s no doubt, but let’s see if they can reload heading into next year. This “passing of the torch” may be short lived.

Maintaining success is harder than obtaining it, you are correct on that point, so we'll have to watch SDSU to see if they can keep it going. But they have the facilities and a growing national reputation for winning. The thing to watch is if their new head coach can keep the train on the tracks and build on what was given to him.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Maintaining success is harder than obtaining it, you are correct on that point, so we'll have to watch SDSU to see if they can keep it going. But they have the facilities and a growing national reputation for winning. The thing to watch is if their new head coach can keep the train on the tracks and build on what was given to him.

Their current run has been accomplished with all of the same players. I’m already very impressed with SDSU, but if this run continues into next year, I’ll be the first to admit they’ve overtaken NDSU as the dominant FCS team. As of now, they’re on a great run, but let’s see if they can do it with the next crop of players the way NDSU did.

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Their current run has been accomplished with all of the same players. I’m already very impressed with SDSU, but if this run continues into next year, I’ll be the first to admit they’ve overtaken NDSU as the dominant FCS team. As of now, they’re on a great run, but let’s see if they can do it with the next crop of players the way NDSU did.

They have a lot of 5th and 6th year guys that are done now, correct?

25 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

They have a lot of 5th and 6th year guys that are done now, correct?

That’s my understanding, yes.

https://www.siouxfallslive.com/sports/south-dakota-state-football-projected-two-deep

https://gojacks.com/sports/football/roster

Didn’t get through the defense, but on offense if this 2 deep is accurate, they lose their 2 best receivers, starting TE, starting RB and 4/5 starting o line.

But who knows with the Covid year still playing a role in some of these kids’ eligibility. Also, have zero doubt that sdsu has studs ready to step in for everyone they lose.

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2023 at 1:28 PM, Wilbur said:

If #4 is (reportedly) getting 6 figure offers how does he not leave?  Playing safety at an FBS school while securing your financial future for a few years down the line.

If he comes back with "I love this place too much to leave" then I may doubt an offer like that was on the table.  

Let's circle back to this. I also was very skeptical of the numbers that were being tossed around. Originally, multiple players were reported to have 6 figure NIL deals. McFeeley reported 250K that one had, Izzo said 1/2 million this week on his show. Those numbers were clearly not accurate. Are we thinking they were reported 2X, 3X, 10X the actual number? I also don't believe as many players that were reported had them. Kudos to the Coaching staff / players. I'm sure the collective is still pretty modest, but boy did they get the ball moving by completely exaggerating what was happening. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

Let's circle back to this. I also was very skeptical of the numbers that were being tossed around. Originally, multiple players were reported to have 6 figure NIL deals. McFeeley reported 250K that one had, Izzo said 1/2 million this week on his show. Those numbers were clearly not accurate. Are we thinking they were reported 2X, 3X, 10X the actual number? I also don't believe as many players that were reported had them. Kudos to the Coaching staff / players. I'm sure the collective is still pretty modest, but boy did they get the ball moving by completely exaggerating what was happening. 

Kilty got himself paid the way Izzo wishes the NDSU guys would.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Fargo media not reporting the truth? NO WAY.....

16 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Fargo media not reporting the truth? NO WAY.....

I would more say, reporting what they were told. I just highly question what they were told. 

I'm not saying a player or two turning down big time $ would be unheard of. What I am saying is everyone turning down that type of money doesn't compute with me. This goes two-fold that the players choice was not picked as Coach. 

I would be interested though if the Fargo media actually ever believed it. Or if they were skeptical, but hey, just reporting what you were told. 

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Bison player(s) turning down $500 Racks.......LMAO. 

image.png.0f82957a4072a7e94cad88f3d369dc8b.png

• Upvote 2