SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

22 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Agree on the never count them out part. 

I heard (on UND360 I believe) that they lost 30 from last year to this year.  11 graduated and 19 transfers.  That's a big turnover and they went 2 OT for a chance to make the finals again.

But they are no longer the team to beat in FCS. South Dakota State is. And that drives their fans crazy. And that never ceases to amuse me.

There is a reason Entz is moving to Southern California and it isn't just because of the weather and a big fat raise.

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

Someone please enlighten me as to how NDSU manages to make external hires without a three-week job posting open records dog and pony show. I’ll hang up and listen.  

They don't go through the interrogation process to find out if it is a "dream job". They hire the best candidate for the now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJS said:

I’m always in wait and see mode when it comes to NDSU. Until I see it, I’ll assume every key player w/ eligibility returns. They’ve had minor speed bumps over the last decade plus, but it never truly compounds on each other. They lose a playoff game they were the better team, in unconventional fashion (penalties / ST’s). So hard for me to believe they’d now lose 3 to 4 key players to the portal as well.

I could see Eli Green getting some big offers. Other than the other known NIL offer guys I’m not sure who would get plucked from above.

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

Someone please enlighten me as to how NDSU manages to make external hires without a three-week job posting open records dog and pony show. I’ll hang up and listen.  

Because they don’t give a !@#$ and just let it rip. They always look for subtle advantages and loopholes. UND is the opposite.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I could see Eli Green getting some big offers. Other than the other known NIL offer guys I’m not sure who would get plucked from above.

True. I’m not sure who all of the known ones are. I’m just hoping for two of these. Anything less, complete reload. Anything more, some questions.

My dream portal entries.

1. Miller (think best QB in FCS)

2. Zabel (All-Conference lineman)

3. Green (Future All-American)

4. Wisniewski

5. Kopp

6. Mostaert

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

True. I’m not sure who all of the known ones are. I’m just hoping for two of these. Anything less, complete reload. Anything more, some questions.

My dream portal entries.

4. Wisniewski

5. Kopp

6. Mostaert

If #4 is (reportedly) getting 6 figure offers how does he not leave?  Playing safety at an FBS school while securing your financial future for a few years down the line.

If he comes back with "I love this place too much to leave" then I may doubt an offer like that was on the table.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, AJS said:

My dream portal entries.

4. Wisniewski

5. Kopp

6. Mostaert

You think Miller is better than Gronowski?

40 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Word on the street is that NDSU is replacing their AD as well.  Nothing official but seems to come from the same people that were saying a couple days ago Polasek would be the HC.

If that’s true wouldn’t they get the new AD in place first to make the football hire?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If that’s true wouldn’t they get the new AD in place first to make the football hire?

I doubt anyone wants to wait 3 months until the new AD is in place.   We hired Mussman with an interim AD.   Would you like me to elaborate on how that turned out?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I'll be honest with you; I'd like to have a team as goes that deep into the playoffs as NDSU does and plays for a chance to make it to Frisco. 

Of course. That *should* be the goal for UND, but several are satisfied with playoff participation awards. Extend a losing coach, don’t buyout lame duck coach, decade of mediocrity, fail to hire best candidate, good ol’ boys, etc.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Close. I’ll say I think Miller is one of the best QB’s in FCS.

Based on the wide open receivers that he missed last night there are some who would disagree with u.  I’ll say he had a very good year and he took some big hits and kept playing.

• Like 1