SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Polacek seems like NDSU's "Bubba hire".  Picked by the "Good ole' boys" at NDSU.  Loves the program, will jump on a grenade for NDSU football.  But....is he a good head coach?  We shall see.

I don’t agree with this. He might not end up being a good HC, but look at the resume. 

20 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Polacek seems like NDSU's "Bubba hire".  Picked by the "Good ole' boys" at NDSU.  Loves the program, will jump on a grenade for NDSU football.  But....is he a good head coach?  We shall see.

Not really, polasek has a ton of energy and fire.  Essentially the opposite

36 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Where was Bubba's stop prior to UND? 

Polacek come from the Mountain West as a coordinator. 

Apples to prunes comparison IMO.

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not saying he's going to be good or bad but zero HC'ing experience and his offenses did exactly light it up at Iowa (where he coached OL) and Wyoming.

His resume is vastly superior than Bubba's.....I think we can agree on that.

.....but nothing is a sure thing. Just ask anyone that's watched this FB program over the past decade.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Not saying he's going to be good or bad but zero HC'ing experience and his offenses did exactly light it up at Iowa (where he coached OL) and Wyoming.

Iowa’s offense got remarkably worse after Polasek left.  I don’t know if you can attribute it to him leaving but the stats don’t lie. 

1 hour ago, NDSU grad said:

Iowa’s offense got remarkably worse after Polasek left.  I don’t know if you can attribute it to him leaving but the stats don’t lie. 

LOL dohkay

i will say the energy difference between our coach and their’s is ridiculous.  We need something and now

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I remember their entire fanbase hating him as an OC at different times.  Bison fans can feel free to chime in if I am wrong. 

NDSU fans haven’t been happy with a single offensive coordinator in the last 25 years. I can’t name one in my adult life that was appreciated while they were at NDSU. 

Vigen recruited, developed and coached three nfl draft draft picks at the QB position(wentz and stick(just recruited)and then Josh Allen at Wyoming) and people still thought he wasn’t good enough. I’m proud to be an NDSU fan, but the expectations of the fanbase are completely out of control.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

NDSU fans haven’t been happy with a single offensive coordinator in the last 25 years. I can’t name one in my adult life that was appreciated while they were at NDSU. 

Vigen recruited, developed and coached three nfl draft draft picks at the QB position(wentz and stick(just recruited)and then Josh Allen at Wyoming) and people still thought he wasn’t good enough. I’m proud to be an NDSU fan, but the expectations of the fanbase are completely out of control.

Messingham eventually got appreciated 

46 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Messingham eventually got appreciated 

Good point. He is potentially the only example, but he also happened to coach teams that only lost 1 time in 2 years, not a ton to complain about during that time. People still complained that his offenses were predictable and boring if I remember correctly though.

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Agree with that, and I think most fan bases are that way. We liked Schmidt at first but the last year or two some were questioning him and look at where he ended up. You guys were even winning Championships non stop and fans would still complain about the OC. Have seen many complaints about Roehl. Everyone always wants the perfect game.....every game. 

10 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Good Lord in almost half of those 25 years you guys have won it all that is like being married to a Playboy centerfold and complaining she snores.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Vigen is a good recruiter. They were successful  during his time as OC. That is a better measurement of success than a fan forum. I think Hedberg also  deserves a lot of the credit for QB development. 

4 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Has the mass exodus started in Fargo yet?

Only players that don’t see the field. It’s good to be them. I said it earlier this week, things will never snowball negatively for that program. Too big to fail.

They are apparently working on scheduling one more game.  Kinda dumb to schedule Hawaii in a 12 game year, because they are exempt games (like the Alaska schools in hockey).  They will likely have two FBS losses next year in a season in which teams will have more 8 win seasons than usual, due to the extra game.  

21 hours ago, AJS said:

Only players that don’t see the field. It’s good to be them. I said it earlier this week, things will never snowball negatively for that program. Too big to fail.

That's what people used to think about Miami (the one in Florida) when they were winning almost every game for a decade. And Colorado was garbage for decades after being good before Coach Prime came along to give them some hope. Nothing is "too big to fail".

NDSU isn't exactly collapsing, but they have clearly been surpassed by SDSU (and even lost a player to them). And other programs are always working overtime to get better. The wheel never stops turning. Even Rome eventually fell.

51 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

12 game year but even with Hawai'i I only count 11 on UNI's. 

They posted a follow up tweet that says they are still working on scheduling one more game.  Not sure why they released this with 4 home games if thats the case.  Pretty bad look imo.