SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

4 hours ago, Hawkster said:

I talked to an NDSU guy before Entz left and he was to the point he was hoping Roehl would leave or be replaced.   Everyone was tired of Roehl running the same QB run up the gut.  He probably got pushed out by the new Bison guy.

Reality hit. He needs more experience else where for a Head coach resume.  Im sure that was a discussion that was had between Polacek and Roehl.

6 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Reality hit. He needs more experience else where for a Head coach resume.  Im sure that was a discussion that was had between Polacek and Roehl.

I thought reality would have hit when he got his ass handed to him by UND.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

So that's why Polasek gave him a promotion? And then gush to the paper how much they meant to each other and TP wanted him on staff? Might be just me, but that seems like a really odd way to encourage someone to leave to get more experience. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/24/2024 at 9:07 PM, jdub27 said:

So that's why Polasek gave him a promotion? And then gush to the paper how much they meant to each other and TP wanted him on staff? Might be just me, but that seems like a really odd way to encourage someone to leave to get more experience. 

It made him more marketable. Assist head coach means more money also. It was a great set up IMO.

Not FCS but, 

From Football Scoop:

Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley is leaving the program to become the defensive coordinator of the Green Bay Packers, according to a report Wednesday from ESPN.

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source close to Hafley told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not FCS but, 

From Football Scoop:

Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley is leaving the program to become the defensive coordinator of the Green Bay Packers, according to a report Wednesday from ESPN.

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source close to Hafley told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."

I've seen speculation that's why Saban called it a day.

• Upvote 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:24 PM, forksandspoons said:

Embarrassing ‘journalism’ here by the clown Dom, basically trying to recruit the kid for NDSU 

Speculating, but I believe Dom's show is part of the WDAY/NDSU media deal, similar to how Paul and Tim have a morning show.  

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Speculating, but I believe Dom's show is part of the WDAY/NDSU media deal, similar to how Paul and Tim have a morning show.  

Paul and Tim are UND employees though and not passing themselves off as journalists.

• Upvote 2

Head coach
Mark Farley, UNI, $400,000
Brock Spack, Illinois State, $364,140
Bob Nielson, USD, $340,000
Tim Polasek, NDSU, $330,000
Jimmy Rogers, SDSU, $310,000
Doug Phillips, Youngstown State, $300,000
Ryan Beard, Missouri State, $275,000*
Nick Hill, Southern Illinois, $265,000
Jody Wright, Murray State, $260,000
Bubba Schweigert, UND, $255,000
Curt Mallory, Indiana State, $218,194

Offensive coordinator
Tyler Roehl, NDSU, $123,144*
Bodie Reeder, UNI, $123,000*
Ryan Olson, SDSU, $115,000
Nick Petrino, Missouri State, $108,834*
Tony Petersen, Illinois State, $107,136
Danny Freund, UND, $104,000*
Troy Rothenbuhler, Youngstown State, $102,000
Josh Davis, USD, $100,310
Mike Bath, Indiana State, $94,789
Blake Rolan, Southern Illinois, $93,636
Ben Hodges, Murray State, $76,000

Defensive coordinator
Travis Johansen, USD, $119,885
Jason Petrino, NDSU, $117,321*
Jesse Bobbit, SDSU, $115,000
Travis Niekamp, Illinois State, $113,772
L.D. Scott, Missouri State, $108,834*
Antonio James, Southern Illinois, $107,100
Jahmal Brown, Youngstown State, $102,000
Brad Wilson, Indiana State, $99,989
Jeremiah Johnson, UNI, $95,000.04*
Joel Schwenzfeier, UND, $88,400
Dillon Sanders, Murray State, $76,000

* — denotes 2023 base salary

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Head coach

Offensive coordinator

Defensive coordinator

From a UND perspective…. Ouch.

On 2/16/2024 at 8:27 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Head coach

Offensive coordinator

Defensive coordinator

Nice to have the comps with peer programs 

PAY FOR 3 COACHES     ENDOWMENT 

UNI      $618,000            $163 million

Illi st     $584,800           $197 million 

NDSU.  $570,400          $457 million 

USD.     $560000           $329 million 

SDSU.   $540000           $213 million 

YSU      $504000           $276 million 

Mizz St. $493000          $193 million

SIU.       $460000           $190 million

UND      $447000           $352 million

Ind st.    $413000            $70 million

Murray.  $412000            $91 million

Can someone with college endowment knowledge please explain this? When adding up the HC, OC and DC ….UNDs total combined salaries for those three ranks 9th out of 11 programs in MVFC.  Yet ….UND is only behind Ndsu in the MVFC with endowment dollars.  Clearly UND does very well in donations.  I keep hearing on this site for the naggers to put forth more money to help.  Und seems to have to no problem with that so I don’t think that blanket argument is valid.  But since I am not familiar with endowment $ can someone explain to me how exactly does the university determine where to allocate the donations ?  Does allocating to the FB program rank towards the bottom every year ?  Or at all ? Basing argument off hard numbers which include coaching salaries to endowment intake and compared those to the other 10 peer programs in the MVFC….und is sadly far behind.  Again …I would like more insight of how endowment distribution works before going to deep into this.  

Where I’m going with this is ….can UND pay up for the “right” coaches for the next try ?  Quite honestly und is paying Bubba about $200000 more than he deserves so I wont argue that angle .  Just wondering for future hires if it’s a possibility?  If it isn’t a possibility…..UND football is stuck in the mud.  To hire a good candidate to move and live in GF will require more dollars than what the peers are paying.   As what we have seen for years now …the high majority or percentage of hires have Und connections. Hasn’t worked.   Need new blood.  In order to get new blood …the salaries have to be raised significantly to peek interest.  

28 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Can someone with college endowment knowledge please explain this? When adding up the HC, OC and DC ….UNDs total combined salaries for those three ranks 9th out of 11 programs in MVFC.  Yet ….UND is only behind Ndsu in the MVFC with endowment dollars.  Clearly UND does very well in donations.  I keep hearing on this site for the naggers to put forth more money to help.  Und seems to have to no problem with that so I don’t think that blanket argument is valid.  But since I am not familiar with endowment $ can someone explain to me how exactly does the university determine where to allocate the donations ?  Does allocating to the FB program rank towards the bottom every year ?  Or at all ? Basing argument off hard numbers which include coaching salaries to endowment intake and compared those to the other 10 peer programs in the MVFC….und is sadly far behind.  Again …I would like more insight of how endowment distribution works before going to deep into this.  

Where I’m going with this is ….can UND pay up for the “right” coaches for the next try ?  Quite honestly und is paying Bubba about $200000 more than he deserves so I wont argue that angle .  Just wondering for future hires if it’s a possibility?  If it isn’t a possibility…..UND football is stuck in the mud.  To hire a good candidate to move and live in GF will require more dollars than what the peers are paying.   As what we have seen for years now …the high majority or percentage of hires have Und connections. Hasn’t worked.   Need new blood.  In order to get new blood …the salaries have to be raised significantly to peek interest.  

Ever remember when und led ndsu in endowment 

our champions club has been long in decline for years

36 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

This is an interesting look at it.. and while Im not a bubba defender and certainly ready for a change.. its pretty easy to argue that he has significantly outperformed his contracts versus underperformed (4 yrs in MVC.. 1st, 7th, 3rd, 3rd).  UND can and should fund its football program better than it does including the coaching pay.  While Im a supporter of all UND athletics, this data continues to grind me.  Significantly improving the funding for the football and basketball programs would have way more potential impact on UND athletics than hiring another cook or dietician or altitude chamber for the hockey team.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

But since I am not familiar with endowment $ can someone explain to me how exactly does the university determine where to allocate the donations ?  

Donations that are endowed (saved as principle to earn interest on) are usually targetted by the donor for a purpose, like a scholarship or a program. Unallocated funds are distributed at the direction of the UNDAA&F board with input from UND. 

Usually no more than 4% of an endowment is used in any year so as to maintain the principle balance (and keep earning). 

For example when the UND president said it'd take a $60M endowment to maintain womens hockey that would provide nominally a $2.4M annual operating fund. 

On 1/24/2024 at 7:32 PM, bison73 said:

Tyler Roehl got hired to be the associate head coach and running backs coach at Iowa State. I'm not a Bison fan, but Tyler is a great guy and this is a great opportunity for him. 

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

How bad did he want out of Fargo.  He took a job he didn't even care about, as it turns out.  

Wrong. Tennessee State was a good opportunity if he wanted to advance his career, but Iowa State approached him about an even better opportunity. Eddie George, the head coach of Tennessee State, told Tyler that this was an opportunity that he could not pass up. Rumor has it that he will make more at Iowa State than the head coach of NDSU.

28 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Wrong. Tennessee State was a good opportunity if he wanted to advance his career, but Iowa State approached him about an even better opportunity. Eddie George, the head coach of Tennessee State, told Tyler that this was an opportunity that he could not pass up. Rumor has it that he will make more at Iowa State than the head coach of NDSU.

I am not wrong.  get some sources brah

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

I would hope an FBS assistant makes more than an FCS HC.    Even NDSU pay is small potatoes compared to FBS.

• Upvote 1