SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

3 hours ago, Kevin G said:

About Miami, Wodon assumes (1) that the leadership in Miami is really serious about leaving the NCHC and (2) that the only or primary obstacle to their departure is the conference exit fee (which the NCHC may or may not choose to waive). 

About Arizona State, Wodon assumes (1) that ASU desires to join the NCHC and (2) that the only or primary obstacle is the NCHC dragging its feet in issuing an invitation. 

Which of Wodon’s assumptions are correct?

I like your thought process.

His article has so many flaws it's hard to know where to start.

The first is to frame the question as Miami vs Arizona State.   It's broader than that.   And that makes it a false choice.

The MAC schools (BGSU, Miami and Western Michigan) are in different conferences which creates tension.   Why would Western stay if Miami leaves?  My bet would be NCHC loses both.   

And out west, there are other potental entrants to D-1 "likely" - U-Arizona and UNLV at top of list; does that NCHC want to have 2-3-4 schools playing a long way from everywhere else?  Not to mention the bigger question of whether Arizona State wants to affiliate with the NCHC; I haven't seen any evidence of that, and broader history of Big Ten-PAC partnerships suggests a Big Ten affiliate membership would be their first choice.

11 hours ago, Godsmack said:

This talk of waiving Miami’s exit fee because it’s “the right thing to do” seems a bit naive to me. Wouldn’t that set a bad precedent???

They want out they can pay the 1-1.5 million dollar exit fee. 

• Like 1

What are your thoughts if the NCHC adds Arizona St. then the future UNLV team?

Gives the NCHC student athletes an opportunity to play down south and get some warmer weather a few series/weeke per year to get out of the midwest winter grind/depression. 

Could be a swing in recruiting “a bit” to get some young upcoming talent down south to the NCHC teams/conference.

I say do it!

• Like 1

One million dollars is consequential. A eight million shortfall has a nearby school reorganizing the entire academic structure.

If the league has a drop-in replacement and was given adequate notice I’d waive a significant fraction, but not all, but charge enough to pay for the transition costs of the league.

• Upvote 3

Get Arizona State as a member already, even if they end up leaving down the road.

We’re in a conference with Stearns County State right now, and I believe the only other school to apply has been Mankato State. If that’s the route we want to take, NCHC might as well invite Augustana and help Morningside College establish a team and rename itself the North Central Conference hockey league. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goon said:

They want out they can pay the 1-1.5 million dollar exit fee. 

They are a drag on the league. If they want out (and I believe some people at Miami want that), I say we make it as painless as possible. Schools like Arizona State and St. Thomas have way more to offer than Miami has ever had or ever will have.

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

They are a drag on the league. If they want out (and I believe some people at Miami want that), I say we make it as painless as possible. Schools like Arizona State and St. Thomas have way more to offer than Miami has ever had or ever will have.

What exactly does St. Thomas have to offer? You might have a hard time convincing seven athletic directors that we have to let them Miami walk and add ASU. I am not against letting Miami go but with an exit fee. Before the NCHC just adds ASU, the league needs to have a sit down with them and remind them, that they're not going to call the shots because they're a Power Five school. I also think the league needs to improve their overpriced streaming service. There's all kinds of things that the league needs to look at. 

• Upvote 2

I don't see Western being married to Miami as far as following whatever move the Red Hawks make.  If anything they've grown as a program after the move to the NCHC, and have gotten some elite kids into Kalamazoo.  To me the CCHA would be a step back for them, but a move that makes sense for Miami.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Goon said:

What exactly does St. Thomas have to offer? You might have a hard time convincing seven athletic directors that we have to let them Miami walk and add ASU. I am not against letting Miami go but with an exit fee. Before the NCHC just adds ASU, the league needs to have a sit down with them and remind them, that they're not going to call the shots because they're a Power Five school. I also think the league needs to improve their overpriced streaming service. There's all kinds of things that the league needs to look at. 

Twin Cities market, Summit member, fancy arena on the way. We want them on the schedule, be it in or out of conference.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't see Western being married to Miami as far as following whatever move the Red Hawks make.  If anything they've grown as a program after the move to the NCHC, and have gotten some elite kids into Kalamazoo.  To me the CCHA would be a step back for them, but a move that makes sense for Miami.  

I think the fact that Western would be all over there in the Eastern time zone by themselves without another conference school nearby would be an issue at some point. Miami gives them at least one bus trip. Take that away and who knows how long they last. Competitively they’re fine in the NCHC but I don’t know that there wouldn’t be other factors at play if they decided to make a move. 

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think the fact that Western would be all over there in the Eastern time zone by themselves without another conference school nearby would be an issue at some point. Miami gives them at least one bus trip. Take that away and who knows how long they last. Competitively they’re fine in the NCHC but I don’t know that there wouldn’t be other factors at play if they decided to make a move. 

Plus the looming association with major conferences; MAC is just as likely as Summit to pair up or absorb. 

3 hours ago, Goon said:

St. Thomas is a sleeping giant that will wake up in the next 5 years. The NCHC needs to think about the future, not just the present. With the threat of the B1G and the ever-changing environment of collegiate athletics, the NCHC needs to strengthen itself as much as it can.

I do think we should cap the number of teams at 10. The old WCHA was too big and watered-down at 12. The NCHC has to avoid over expansion.

• Upvote 1

I really don't care if Miami or Western Michigan for that matter leave but I wouldn't be a huge fan of adding Arizona State either. I know they have a big name but if 2 are leaving I'd rather replace them more regionally with Mankato and then one of St. Thomas, Augustana, or Bemidji or if you wanted to expand I guess you could add all 4. I like staying as more of a regional conference.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Why? Did they sign a lifetime contract?

Teams change conferences all the time. This would be no exception.

That’s why I said anytime soon. :p

I would guess that the CCHA has an exit fee as well, so it’s not like St Thomas would be wanting to jump ship in just a year or two and join the NCHC. 

20 hours ago, farce poobah said:

I like your thought process.

His article has so many flaws it's hard to know where to start.

The first is to frame the question as Miami vs Arizona State.   It's broader than that.   And that makes it a false choice.

The MAC schools (BGSU, Miami and Western Michigan) are in different conferences which creates tension.   Why would Western stay if Miami leaves?  My bet would be NCHC loses both.   

And out west, there are other potental entrants to D-1 "likely" - U-Arizona and UNLV at top of list; does that NCHC want to have 2-3-4 schools playing a long way from everywhere else?  Not to mention the bigger question of whether Arizona State wants to affiliate with the NCHC; I haven't seen any evidence of that, and broader history of Big Ten-PAC partnerships suggests a Big Ten affiliate membership would be their first choice.

I suggested a couple years ago that the NCHC should have added Arizona State and Bowling Green.

I do not think any additional teams whose schools are not d1 across the board should be added for various reasons.

35 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I suggested a couple years ago that the NCHC should have added Arizona State and Bowling Green.

I do not think any additional teams whose schools are not d1 across the board should be added for various reasons.

It makes geographical sense for Bowling Green and Miami (OH) to be in the same conference; they are only 2hrs 40mins apart. Easy bus trip. Whether or not that's in the NCHC, I really don't know. 

55 minutes ago, petey23 said:

If adding Bowling Green helped create better multi-sport scheduling / games with the MAC (esp FB, BB, VB), I would favor that.   Adding Arizona State would help address the perceptions that NCHC is a bunch of small schools, and give NCHC hockey a voice at the table when the P5 are talking rules for D-1.  (ASU still seems like a temporary add, in the bigger picture.)