SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

19 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I’m gonna say it: hard no on Bemidji. I don’t get the love affair so many people have for them. I’d rather watch paint dry than watch Bemidji’s style of play. UND already playing them virtually every season is torture enough.

Agreed. 

I would be happy if:

1) the administrative and support structures for hockey change to fall under the Summit League, as I understand NCAA changes make it better for conferences to fall into such a structure.

2) The NCHC continued playing under the current league name and membership.    (We already don't get home-and-home series vs our top rivals every season and don't need to dilute that by adding members.)

3.  After they finish up with hockey, the Summit League next turns its attention to football.

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I’m gonna say it: hard no on Bemidji. I don’t get the love affair so many people have for them. I’d rather watch paint dry than watch Bemidji’s style of play. UND already playing them virtually every season is torture enough.

Agree.  We no longer owe them anything.  We never really did, but they were a constant on our schedule to help them out when they were on shaky ground.  The games weren't always easy, but even our bad games usually still resulted in a win.  Now, they're plenty stable in their own conference and don't need any help staying afloat.  Plus, the style they play can be a PWR killer for us when they do beat us now, and they're plenty capable of doing so.

5 hours ago, jk said:

It would be a good opportunity for a western conference reboot, with conferences that make more geographic sense.  Get Miami and WMU back to their neighborhood.  Somehow bring BSU and Mankato in.  Perhaps end up with an additional conference, so you'd have the Summit, CCHA and a watered down NCHC (call it the WCHA).

So current Summit league members with mens hockey are , UND, DU, STU, and UNO,  Lindenwood University is currently an affiliate member as well, if Augustana joins then it would be 5 teams with a possible 6th if ag, that means you would still have SCSU, UMD, MNSU, BSU CC, WMU, Miami. Miami and WMU would go to the CCHA. SCSU would probably be an attracitve add because they might be the least likely to have an potential hang ups about going from affiliate to full member, SCSU no longer has football and its not a huge burden to move its teams from D2 - D1 without football. If they want to Stay at 8 then it comes down to adding MNSU or UMD. My guess is that Duluth wins that vote as it would be left without a conferance because there will not be enough Teams to Hold the NCHC together, which then leads to the question of 8 teams or 10, if 10 then its MNSU along with Bemidji or CC, my Guess is that CC gets the add so Denver gets one road game, but also because BSU will still be in the CCHA if they are not added in, CCHA would be at 8 teams. If Lidenwood dosen't become an affilate then I image that they would add SCSU, UMD, MNSU along with Augastana, and then BSU stays in the CCHA along with WMU and Maimi, and CC is left twisting in the wind.

I would think MNSU would be all in on this, more geographic sense, and it Might finally push Kato to try and move up to full D-1, there other facilities are already on par with most of the summit league, and there football stadium is going to be replaced soon anyways, They would probably get support from St. Thomas and Augustana.

I think that BSU wouldn't get the nod, but it might be a blessing in disguise for them, It might cause BSU to do what MNSU did when they were left out of the NCHC, get serious about creating a competitive program, seek out new coach and move towards a most fast paced aggressive style of hockey.

I see some gopher fans are hoping they take a run at 24-year old David Silye from the transfer portal out of Mankato with two years of eligibility left.  So if he uses up all his eligibility, he would be 26.  After all the gnashing of teeth regarding age after getting ousted by Mankato the previous two years, that is quite ironic.

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

I see some gopher fans are hoping they take a run at 24-year old David Silye from the transfer portal out of Mankato with two years of eligibility left.  So if he uses up all his eligibility, he would be 26.  After all the gnashing of teeth regarding age after getting ousted by Mankato the previous two years, that is quite ironic.

I saw some reports that he was just going to go pro instead.
If so, I'm not sure why he even bothered to enter the portal then...unless he's just putting out some feelers.  He'd be a big pickup for whoever can land him (UW??) if he does stick with college.

On 4/12/2023 at 12:54 PM, cberkas said:

Another ACHA team playing A NCAA D1 team.

That's not just another NCAA v ACHA game, that's in-state rivals facing off.  i think the only way this happens is if Arizona has its eyes on elevating their program and ASU is giving them a helping hand.

3 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

That's not just another NCAA v ACHA game, that's in-state rivals facing off.  i think the only way this happens is if Arizona has its eyes on elevating their program and ASU is giving them a helping hand.

They played the year ASU moved up in Glendale.

Arizona State won 8-1 

After (pre-season) picking DU in 2022 and Quinnipiac in 2023, I wonder if Schlossman is waiting until after the Red crests or is starting now on building his high altar to make sacrifice* to the college hockey gods to learn the 2024 champion. 

*It's kind of a Norse funeral pyre thing crossed with an Aztec sacrifice involving a gopher ... or so go the rumors. It's all very hush-hush and held on a private pickleball court at an undisclosed location. Still trying to confirm if it's catered by Deek's Pizza. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

After (pre-season) picking DU in 2022 and Quinnipiac in 2023, I wonder if Schlossman is waiting until after the Red crests or is starting now on building his high altar to make sacrifice* to the college hockey gods to learn the 2024 champion. 

*It's kind of a Norse funeral pyre thing crossed with an Aztec sacrifice involving a gopher ... or so go the rumors. It's all very hush-hush and held on a private pickleball court at an undisclosed location. Still trying to confirm if it's catered by Deek's Pizza. 

He had us as #4 preseason, so evidently he doesn't know as much about the team he covers as he does about other teams.  ;)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Proof or I'm skeptical. 

This is what's gonna drag people (or programs) into the muck with the NCAA, or with whatever state or local body has the power to enforce the relevant laws/rules.  Arguably, the entire premise underlying NIL was that one's name, image, and/or likeness would have some value BEFORE money starts getting thrown around.  Giving blanket or flat sums to recruits before they've set foot on campus - save for the occasional blue chip superstar - is almost certainly going to raise eyebrows.

Sham NIL deals hiding pay-to-play setups may be hard to prove, but probably not impossible.

• Upvote 1