SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

RE: NIL

Kinda sounds like what someone around here has been preaching for a year or so around here....:whistling:

I'm not the person to start/lead something but as I said before UND/Alumni/REA/factional minor sports (football) interests are going to compete against each other in this arena.

It's going to be a few years before they all realize how far left behind they all are by then.

Also hint (we're way way behind already)

https://www.qu.edu/quinnipiac-today/hartford-healthcare-donates-$250000-to-establish-quinnipiac-ice-hockey-excellence-fund-2023-06-12/?fbclid=IwAR35Zk7L_Ne8ezkGOIz_dcQ9u4goCn5sjRAjcwVG40W-PK6_vx0ZC8VEbLA

We need someone like Altru or Rydell or ? to get this party started for UND evidently.

Count me in possibly being late to the party with NIL. I've always wanted one to get started, but more from an urgency standpoint didn't really feel it. I'm feeling it now. I'm looking at this two ways. For hockey, it's going to be necessary to stay elite. For Football / Basketball, can UND for once be in the drivers seat with the Dakota schools. Acting first. 

It would help if some of the prominent coaches or media members would start making some noise. Why would Berry not be going through Schlossman with articles about this? If we're all on the same page that UND in situations like this are incapable of leading, what do we hope for? What will get people's attention? It wouldn't be hypothetically losing Hensler / Mooney to Mich / Minnesota respectively. How about the 3 FM NDTP players that are eligible to commit Aug 1st? For Football / Basketball, like always, need NDSU to set up one first. 

I had no idea on the Q fund that @brianvf posted about. Why wouldn't Schlossman highlight that? He can make noise when he wants too, I'm just surprised he isn't on this front. 

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Count me in possibly being late to the party with NIL. I've always wanted one to get started, but more from an urgency standpoint didn't really feel it. I'm feeling it now. I'm looking at this two ways. For hockey, it's going to be necessary to stay elite. For Football / Basketball, can UND for once be in the drivers seat with the Dakota schools. Acting first. 

It would help if some of the prominent coaches or media members would start making some noise. Why would Berry not be going through Schlossman with articles about this? If we're all on the same page that UND in situations like this are incapable of leading, what do we hope for? What will get people's attention? It wouldn't be hypothetically losing Hensler / Mooney to Mich / Minnesota respectively. How about the 3 FM NDTP players that are eligible to commit Aug 1st? For Football / Basketball, like always, need NDSU to set up one first. 

I had no idea on the Q fund that @brianvf posted about. Why wouldn't Schlossman highlight that? He can make noise when he wants too, I'm just surprised he isn't on this front. 

The only way UND will stay relevant with the big programs is to keep pace with the NIL. Plain and simple. Unless the shift their recruiting practice to only focus on overagers (think kato). Other all blue chips (and that next tier) will be heading to the Big 10.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

TIL international students are not eligible for NIL without a waiver of sorts. Doesn't mean it's not a massive shift in the landscape, but a good amount of players in college hockey won't receive anything.

Except the cost of their college education which too many people are losing site of. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Is that an asset that's as valuable as it once was? 

It’s more expensive than it once was. There are probably more viable options to make a comfortable living than there used to be but I was responding to the comment that a number of kids “won’t receive anything “.  The debate of the value and necessity of a college education was not my point. 
Free room and board, paid college tuition, the opportunity to play a game one loves at a high level, paid travel and lodging and high level competition is an awful lot more than nothing. The intangibles to developing leadership skills, social skills, discipline, teamwork etc is part of what these young men have the opportunity to receive. 

On 6/14/2023 at 10:42 PM, iramurphy said:

It’s more expensive than it once was. There are probably more viable options to make a comfortable living than there used to be but I was responding to the comment that a number of kids “won’t receive anything “.  The debate of the value and necessity of a college education was not my point. 
Free room and board, paid college tuition, the opportunity to play a game one loves at a high level, paid travel and lodging and high level competition is an awful lot more than nothing. The intangibles to developing leadership skills, social skills, discipline, teamwork etc is part of what these young men have the opportunity to receive. 

Yep that's all true... in that context. 

Im the context of competition from Major junior.. Im just saying the value that we place in the lofty ideals of the academic athlete may not be AS shared by the current and future players.

The promise of a Communications degree from UND ilmay not hold weight vs a 50k a year NIL deal from a car dealership.

.... or in that example vs the free burritos some think NIL is all about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Yep that's all true... in that context. 

Im the context of competition from Major junior.. Im just saying the value that we place in the lofty ideals of the academic athlete may not be AS shared by the current and future players.

The promise of a Communications degree from UND ilmay not hold weight vs a 50k a year NIL deal from a car dealership.

.... or in that example vs the free burritos some think NIL is all about.

You are correct in that many of our current athletes won’t see past $50,000 or even $5000 per year for a very short time. But then I would argue they also don’t understand $5000-$50,000 for 2-4 years is nothing in the long run. If that’s the goal I will get them a job near where I live where they can make 6 figures within a few years that includes benefits and they can make a few million over 30-35 years, with or without a college education (but easier with a 2 Year technical degree in selected areas). 

I contend we are allowing the wrong people to control too much in the lives of our young athletes. Very few of these guys will make a living in the NHL. Very few will make enough money in the minors or in Europe to last a lifetime. 
If the so called advisors or whatever title they call themselves, coaches, parents aren’t making clear to players the value of their education and college experience, they are failing the athlete. The NIL money is an added bonus, albeit temporary, and in todays world an important factor with regards to recruiting. 

The NCAA lost control of this issue from the onset and it makes it much more difficult for small market schools to compete for recruits.  Your point is well taken cuz their mindset is focused on their hockey hopes and dreams and the money (for some in power 5 schools can be over a million/yr for FB and BB) can be life changing.  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

You are correct in that many of our current athletes won’t see past $50,000 or even $5000 per year for a very short time. But then I would argue they also don’t understand $5000-$50,000 for 2-4 years is nothing in the long run. If that’s the goal I will get them a job near where I live where they can make 6 figures within a few years that includes benefits and they can make a few million over 30-35 years, with or without a college education (but easier with a 2 Year technical degree in selected areas). 

I contend we are allowing the wrong people to control too much in the lives of our young athletes. Very few of these guys will make a living in the NHL. Very few will make enough money in the minors or in Europe to last a lifetime. 
If the so called advisors or whatever title they call themselves, coaches, parents aren’t making clear to players the value of their education and college experience, they are failing the athlete. The NIL money is an added bonus, albeit temporary, and in todays world an important factor with regards to recruiting. 

The NCAA lost control of this issue from the onset and it makes it much more difficult for small market schools to compete for recruits.  Your point is well taken cuz their mindset is focused on their hockey hopes and dreams and the money (for some in power 5 schools can be over a million/yr for FB and BB) can be life changing.  

You are 100% correct.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I may be seeing this incorrectly, but it seems like NIL money is mostly going to come into play when recruiting the top 1% of college-bound players. Blue-chippers, first- and second-round draft picks. Guys for whom a college education is likely NOT going to be valuable at that point in their life. 

1 minute ago, SJHovey said:

Someone needs to get Bucci a change of underwear. I think he’s spooged himself three times in the last half hour thinking college hockey in Boston will become relevant again.

Both BC and BU will be improved this season with their ridiculous incoming recruit classes, but a good portion of those guys might be one and done.
There will be some talented teams in NCAA this year.
Let's hope that UND has the right mix of experienced upperclassmen and stud recruits to make a run.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Both BC and BU will be improved this season with their ridiculous incoming recruit classes, but a good portion of those guys might be one and done.
There will be some talented teams in NCAA this year.
Let's hope that UND has the right mix of experienced upperclassmen and stud recruits to make a run.

Since Makar, how many players have been one and done? Recently most are staying two years.

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Since Makar, how many players have been one and done? Recently most are staying two years.

Yeah for sure it isn't as common.  Lately it seems like more of the one and done players have been undrafted rather than high draft picks. 
Like McAllister from WMU this season.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/nine-college-hockey-players-go-in-first-round-of-nhl-draft

NCAA in first round of 2023 NHL Draft

3. Columbus — Adam Fantilli, Michigan
4. San Jose — Will Smith, Boston College*
8. Washington — Ryan Leonard, Boston College*
11. Vancouver — Tom Willander, Boston University*
15. Nashville — Matthew Wood, UConn
19. Chicago — Oliver Moore, Minnesota*
21. Minnesota — Charlie Stramel, Wisconsin
23. N.Y. Rangers — Gabe Perreault, Boston College*
30. Carolina — Bradly Nadeau, Maine*
*Indicates incoming freshman

Sounds like Columbus is going to try to get Fantilli to sign:

Immediately after the first round, questions came about whether the Blue Jackets will try to coax Fantilli to turn pro after one season with the Wolverines.

Columbus general manager Jarmo Kekalainen indicated he will attempt to sign the centerman.

"He won the Hobey Baker in his first year and produced with almost two points per game, played in the Men's World Championship, played in the World Juniors, and he's ready for the next challenge," Kekalainen told The Rink Live's Jordan McAlpine. "That's something that we're going to talk about with him, but obviously we're going to take his thoughts into consideration and listen to them very carefully. But we feel he's ready."

9 hours ago, AJS said:

Makar played two years of college but it does seem like all these high end first round kids are staying more than one year now though. 

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

Makar played two years of college but it does seem like all these high end first round kids are staying more than one year now though. 

Should have been more clear, I should have said, since Makar decided to stay for two years.