SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

4 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Just for the record, Barry Alvarez is no longer AD at UW-Madison. For all I know, Alvarez is still at UW in some capacity--I don't know--but some fellow named Chris McIntosh became AD in 2021.

Yes, and McIntosh played on Alvarez's Rose Bowl teams. After that McIntosh worked for Alvarex in Athletics.

“Mac has been an essential part of my staff for several years,” Alvarez said in a statement. “In particular, his leadership and intelligence were critical in helping our department navigate the various challenges of the past 15 months. Those same qualities will serve him well on into the future.”

McIntosh, 44, was a team captain when the Badgers won consecutive Rose Bowls in the 1998 and 1999 seasons. 

McIntosh learned from Alvarez. 

https://apnews.com/article/seattle-seahawks-wisconsin-college-football-nfl-sports-88b2c788eb774d0abb76a0d4e3dbb6b4

https://cctigers.com/news/2023/4/28/mens-ice-hockey-ken-landau-earns-broadcasting-award.aspx

The bar must be set very low given the numerous snarky comments Landau makes about other teams, particularly UND. Heard him at one point delight in the fact that UND was sitting in seventh place. Not sure what relevance those comments had to do with anything at that moment. 

6 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/bulldogs-hockey/hermantowns-aaron-pionk-is-coming-home-will-join-bulldogs-blue-line-next-season

Is he a Punk like his older brother? 
I seem to remember his brother injuring a couple UND players with illegal hits.

In Duluth they call that Culture.;)

• Upvote 2

Looks like Gophers are returning a good chunk of their 5th year seniors for another run next season.
Nelson was announced yesterday, (so) Close was announced today...I would guess that means Brodzinski will be announced tomorrow. 
Then maybe Cooley on Friday being that Arizona hockey is in somewhat of an unknown territory at the moment?

They'll be an early favorite once again.  They lost Knies and Faber, but have a stud in Moore coming in.
Their defense won't be as dominant, but their forwards will definitely put up goals like this past year.

Big series against them in October in GF, hopefully we can snag at least one win to help the PWR.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

As expected, Cooley back at MN next year 

I wonder how much the Phoenix vote (down in flames this week) impacted that, if any. 

Cooley is an amazing talent but he won't have last years group of defenders covering some of his defensive lapses. 

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I wonder how much the Phoenix vote (down in flames this week) impacted that, if any. 

Cooley is an amazing talent but he won't have last years group of defenders covering some of his defensive lapses. 

From a very very good source of mine, he was already planning to come back. Had a place and everything right after the FF. His intention was to come back but everyone knows how that goes. Players get that carrot dangled in front of them and who knows what could happen.

The recent AZ news is a nice excuse not to sign though…but that had to be part of the decision I’m sure 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

As expected, Cooley back at MN next year 

They’ll be a top 5 team again next year. And then the following year they’ll have Eiserman coming in to replace Cooley when he leaves. 
Gonna be a good test early when we play them this fall. 

Just now, brianvf said:

They’ll be a top 5 team again next year. And then the following year they’ll have Eiserman coming in to replace Cooley when he leaves. 
Gonna be a good test early when we play them this fall. 

I actually don’t think eisermann will ever make it on campus. He had a big U18 year this year….he’ll explode next year in year 2 and he’ll be the 1-2 pick. We shall see if he ends up there.

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I actually don’t think eisermann will ever make it on campus. He had a big U18 year this year….he’ll explode next year in year 2 and he’ll be the 1-2 pick. We shall see if he ends up there.

I have my doubts also. I was thinking he probably should’ve accelerated and since he didn’t I’m not sure he ever makes it there.