SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

On 4/21/2023 at 8:52 PM, Godsmack said:

This talk of waiving Miami’s exit fee because it’s “the right thing to do” seems a bit naive to me. Wouldn’t that set a bad precedent???

Different sport with a bit of a back story, but Big Sky waived the exit fee for UND.  In fact, they continued to help with scheduling for two/three years in football as UND moved to the Summit League.  So, there can be a goodwill angle to things.  If Miami wants out and they conduct business in a forthright manner I see no problem with it.  The NCHC has plenty of options to backfill if needed.  It could be a win/win situation and could be a model for hockey going forward.  We all want college hockey to grow with growth comes conference movement why make it painful.  Again, if a school doesn't notify the conference and goes about it the wrong way.  The exit fee applies and a boot to the ass on the way out is fine with me.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Different sport with a bit of a back story, but Big Sky waived the exit fee for UND.  In fact, they continued to help with scheduling for two/three years in football as UND moved to the Summit League.  So, there can be a goodwill angle to things.  If Miami wants out and they conduct business in a forthright manner I see no problem with it.  The NCHC has plenty of options to backfill if needed.  It could be a win/win situation and could be a model for hockey going forward.  We all want college hockey to grow with growth comes conference movement why make it painful.  Again, if a school doesn't notify the conference and goes about it the wrong way.  The exit fee applies and a boot to the ass on the way out is fine with me.

I'd like to know why everyone is so willing to just let them go. Yes, it's apparent they add nothing to this conference other than teams having about a 75% winning percentage against them. If the NCHC does this for them, then it makes it easier for other teams to just pack up and leave. When the NCHC first started they the teams in the conference were asked if they were committed to this conference. Everyone said yes, I was told that everyone agreed to the exit fee. If they want out they pay. Also, I keep hearing how ASU is going to a great add to the conference. If we have a sharp commissioner, I am not sure we do, then she needs to relay to ASU, your one of eight or nine teams, you're not calling the shots. You will be like everyone else or we're not adding you. The NCHC holds all of the cards. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Goon said:

I'd like to know why everyone is so willing to just let them go. Yes, it's apparent they add nothing to this conference other than teams having about a 75% winning percentage against them. If the NCHC does this for them, then it makes it easier for other teams to just pack up and leave. When the NCHC first started they the teams in the conference were asked if they were committed to this conference. Everyone said yes, I was told that everyone agreed to the exit fee. If they want out they pay. Also, I keep hearing how ASU is going to a great add to the conference. If we have a sharp commissioner, I am not sure we do, then she needs to relay to ASU, your one of eight or nine teams, you're not calling the shots. You will be like everyone else or we're not adding you. The NCHC holds all of the cards. 

I was simply stating that forgiveness on the exit fee has been done before.  If a program/school has reasons - drop in enrollment, program in the red - may have to drop the program.  Then the conference "could" see what they can do to help.  In this case swapping Miami for a St. Thomas could help both conferences and schools.  Or bringing in ASU.  I am applying the Goodwill portion to this based on what is best for the growth of College Hockey with limited impact on the conference overall.  If that isn't present and there isn't a complying reason to help out.  Then apply the exit fee if they want to leave.  

And it shouldn't be expected in the future.  Again, look to the Big Sky, SUU left the Big Sky for the WAC a few years after UND left the Big Sky.  The exit fee was applied.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/daily-skate-nchc-big-ten-push-for-home-site-ncaa-regionals

The idea of playing NCAA regional games at home sites was raised again last week at the American Hockey Coaches Association convention in Naples, Fla.

Members of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference and the Big Ten were the primary supporters of the change.

But like other times this idea has been raised in the past 10 years, there did not appear to be nearly enough consensus to make it happen, especially after a year in which attendance was strong at the regionals.

Those against the change have argued it's too big of an advantage to play at home.

If there is a change in tournament format — none seems likely at the moment — it couldn't happen until at least 2026-27. The NCAA has already awarded regionals and Frozen Fours through the 2025-26 season.

UND will host a regional in Fargo in 2025 and the Frozen Four in Las Vegas in 2026.

The Rules Committee wants to take steps to curb diving, embellishment and slew-footing.

They've been saying that for years!  The "UMD rule".  :D ;) 

On 5/1/2023 at 11:24 PM, Big A HG said:

"If I have to chat with one more UND fan, I'm going to retire!"

...in walks Goon.

I was already in the bar, and I was in the process of leaving when I ran into my buddy Doug that was sitting with them, and he bought me a beer and then we proceeded to have about five more. They were pretty good guys. This was right before they played ASU, who was also staying in the hotel I was at. 

On 4/29/2023 at 11:03 AM, Goon said:

ASU would be a temporary addition to the NCHC. 

The eventuality of a western or Pacific based conference will make that so...

But I think they would be a very good partner for the next ten years or so.... then......

As has been talked about here before, there will be a different landscape in college hockey

12 hours ago, bale31 said:

Yay, 2 kato recruits going elsewhere in the last 2 days. More to come, it seems. Fun times.

Mankato being absolutely gutted. 

Gamache has the potential to be a difference maker. 

22 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Mankato being absolutely gutted. 

Gamache has the potential to be a difference maker. 

I have high hopes for strand as coach, but, man, it could be a rough road.

I honestly thought we had the makings of another contender next year with the guys returning and the recruits coming in. This is tough. On the flip side, strand has signed a couple of pretty good looking recruits in the last few days.

16 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Wisconsin hires Mankato's Director of Hockey Operations.

It would've been easier to just move the Badgers to Mankato.

Christ! Barry Alvarez, UW Athletic Director, was a driving force behind the creation of the Little 6 (Big 10) hockey conference because he didn’t want the Badgers to have to be in the same conference as the Bemidji, Alaska, and MANKATO’s of the college hockey world!  (Probably was embarrassed when they would lose to them)

Fast forward a few years and UW is buying the coaches, players, and administrators from Mankato.  Screw you Barry!  Jim Delaney can go suck an egg as well!