SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

Always good to see a new team win a National Title.

Does Arizona State announce their conference this season? I know they have home games owed this coming season.

Does a new school announce they are adding college hockey?

Does the NCHC make a return to the top after a low season?

Who does Mankato choose as their new head coach?

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/quinnipiacs-title-another-lesson-that-great-college-hockey-players-come-from-all-nhl-draft-statuses

Here's the list of NHL first-round picks who have won NCAA national titles in the last six years: Minnesota Duluth forward Riley Tufte.

That's it.

The last top-20 NHL pick to win a national title was UND's Nick Schmaltz in 2016. Schmaltz went No. 20. The last player drafted inside the top 20 to win a national title was Boston College's Chris Kreider. That happened more than a decade ago now.

This is not to say first-round picks prevent teams from winning national titles. After all, Minnesota was three minutes from doing it. No team in the country would pass on the talent of an NHL first-rounder.

But it does show teams can build dominant college hockey squads without high-end NHL prospects.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Posted this in the conference realignment 2*

I don’t really like this idea. I expect a new conference to be formed, but out East. 

Summit League to (possibly) add hockey? Feels like it would just be an off-brand B1G. 

Thanks, but no thanks. 

3 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Seems solid. Successful head coaching experience. And knows his way around the USHL, where most recruits come from. 

What do you think? 

Good, I guess? I know nothing about him. My preference was a guy that built a team in the in the juniors and has some familiarity with the college game. Alex Tracy (the "other" goalie this year) won the Clark Cup with him a couple years ago and announced he was staying over the weekend. I suspect Strand has a good name with the former coaches as it seems like a few guys came from there. Beyond assumptions, I got nothing else.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure there was a spoeculation list outside of Dan Myers....and he wasn't on that one. Frankly, everyone was so shocked Knott didn't take the position that very few people have been keeping their eyes on this (presumably outside of the AD).

This is, however, about what i would expect. A guy from the USHL because that's where we have to do our recruiting. 

9 minutes ago, bale31 said:

I'm not sure there was a spoeculation list outside of Dan Myers....and he wasn't on that one.  

That's what I thought. The only time I recall Strand's name as one to watch was during a B1G hockey broadcast. He was brought up as a long-shot for the Wisconsin job. 

10 minutes ago, bale31 said:

I'm not sure there was a spoeculation list outside of Dan Myers....and he wasn't on that one. Frankly, everyone was so shocked Knott didn't take the position that very few people have been keeping their eyes on this (presumably outside of the AD).

This is, however, about what i would expect. A guy from the USHL because that's where we have to do our recruiting. 

I did see Luke Strand on another speculation list for what it’s worth. 

22 hours ago, cberkas said:

Posted this in the conference realignment 2*

I don’t really like this idea. I expect a new conference to be formed, but out East. 

So would be UND, Denver, Omaha, and St. Thomas. Add Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato, and CC as affiliates I'd be good with it. I'm not a huge Arizona State fan but if you wanted a big name too could add them and Bemidji to get to 10 or maybe the summit adds Augustana as a full member.

It would be a good opportunity for a western conference reboot, with conferences that make more geographic sense.  Get Miami and WMU back to their neighborhood.  Somehow bring BSU and Mankato in.  Perhaps end up with an additional conference, so you'd have the Summit, CCHA and a watered down NCHC (call it the WCHA).