SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

On 5/26/2023 at 10:41 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Oliver is best described as having "Motzko Syndrome": great season, so close, but can't finish the big one. 

I had the chance to talk to him a bit this year and he is just a fantastic young coach in the hockey world.  Humble, and a guy that kids like to play for.  He will be a head coach in the NCAA one day.  Mike Hastings putting together a fabulous staff for the badgers.  

Makes me wonder what the next step for Chad Demers is.  Hope is health is okay.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

God, who’s next, the Mankato arena Zamboni driver? I wouldn’t be surprised if Hastings swiped the bag of practice pucks along with him on his way out the door as well. 

We've already done the "skate sharpener" jokes. -> The person or the machine, ... or both. 

Mankato players this fall: "Hey, where's my water bottle?"

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/big-10/mankato-to-madison-pipeline-continues-as-mavs-former-athletic-trainer-heads-to-wisconsin

God, who’s next, the Mankato arena Zamboni driver? I wouldn’t be surprised if Hastings swiped the bag of practice pucks along with him on his way out the door as well. 

Someone turn the lights out when you leave the arena. They took the Mavericks athletic trainer, too. This is borderline unethical. 

• Upvote 2

I'll tell ya. I think Hastings hurt his legacy in Kato with all of this. Just the few comments I've heard have not been all that flattering. Everyone respects what he did for us and understands the business side of it, but lots of people holding on to some hard feelings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bale31 said:

I'll tell ya. I think Hastings hurt his legacy in Kato with all of this. Just the few comments I've heard have not been all that flattering. Everyone respects what he did for us and understands the business side of it, but lots of people holding on to some hard feelings. 

Looks to me like he didn't do Jack for Mankato long term; What he did was for himself, and he took it all with him when he left.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, N of GF said:

Looks to me like he didn't do Jack for Mankato long term; What he did was for himself, and he took it all with him when he left.

He did do a ton. The facilities are sooooo much better than before. Got fan support behind our team (not coming to see our opponents). Built an operational structure that is built to win. I'm not going to say that I'm not disappointed in the way he left because I am. I just hope strand is as good as people think he is and it's almost a larson/scsu situation where he takes us another level. I wouldn't be surprised if he was mercilessly booed if he ever came back though.

My bigger concern is that college hockey is becoming like football and basketball. Those cesspool are something I want no part of. I firmly believe the sec and big ten are going to destroy college sports as we know it and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Godsmack said:

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/big-10/mankato-to-madison-pipeline-continues-as-mavs-former-athletic-trainer-heads-to-wisconsin

Rumor has it that the parking lot for the Mav’s arena is being shipped to Madison this summer. 

On 5/31/2023 at 6:07 PM, Kevin G said:

Rumor has it that the parking lot for the Mav’s arena is being shipped to Madison this summer. 

Hastings has pretty much killed his legacy at Minnesota State, not because he went to Wisconsin but because he stripped out everything when he went there.  On the bright side if Luke Strand achieves success at Minnesota State it will be all his doing, no one can say that he just rode Mike Hastings coat tails. As for Hastings... well lets just no one is ever going to name an arena after him.

On a related note the University of Wisconsin decided to retire its long beloved Badgers nickname in favor of a new Moniker, the Vultures.

• Upvote 2

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/daily-skate-arizona-state-continues-to-be-a-topic-with-the-nchc

The potential addition of Arizona State continues to be a point of discussion among National Collegiate Hockey Conference members.

While the league has attempted to keep the specifics of the talks under wraps, one thing is clear: There is far more support for Arizona State among NCHC members than ever before and there's a widespread belief the Sun Devils are tracking toward becoming the league's ninth member.

Nothing is done yet. There are still steps to make it happen.

Arizona State will officially submit its application in the coming days. Then, league membership comes down to a vote by the presidents of member schools, though the behind-the-scenes work is largely done by athletic directors.

It's unclear how soon the Sun Devils could join the league if accepted this summer. It would not be for 2023-24, though. It would be either 2024-25 or 2025-26.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

IF the NCHC adds ASU, which of the following scenarios do you all think is most likely?

1) Add one, lose zero: Simply add ASU to the existing eight members for a total of nine teams.

2) Add two, lose zero: Add a second team along with ASU (within, say, two years), bringing the total number of teams to ten.

3) Add one, lose one: Drop/lose a current member (likely Miami) when ASU joins keeping the total number of teams at eight.

4) Add two, lose two: Add a second team along with ASU, lose Miami and Western Michigan, keeping the total number of teams at eight.

21 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

IF the NCHC adds ASU, which of the following scenarios do you all think is most likely?

1) Add one, lose zero: Simply add ASU to the existing eight members for a total of nine teams.

2) Add two, lose zero: Add a second team along with ASU (within, say, two years), bringing the total number of teams to ten.

3) Add one, lose one: Drop/lose a current member (likely Miami) when ASU joins keeping the total number of teams at eight.

4) Add two, lose two: Add a second team along with ASU, lose Miami and Western Michigan, keeping the total number of teams at eight.

3) UND to B1G ;)  but probably 2)

40 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

We lose Miami when they pay their exit fee. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

Western isn't planning on leaving. When a previous rumor came out, a few years back, I was told by a person from Western athletic department they have no plans on leaving the conference. 

• Upvote 1

RE: NIL

Kinda sounds like what someone around here has been preaching for a year or so around here....:whistling:

I'm not the person to start/lead something but as I said before UND/Alumni/REA/factional minor sports (football) interests are going to compete against each other in this arena.

It's going to be a few years before they all realize how far left behind they all are by then.

Also hint (we're way way behind already)

• Upvote 1