SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

11 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This is what's gonna drag people (or programs) into the muck with the NCAA, or with whatever state or local body has the power to enforce the relevant laws/rules.  Arguably, the entire premise underlying NIL was that one's name, image, and/or likeness would have some value BEFORE money starts getting thrown around.  Giving blanket or flat sums to recruits before they've set foot on campus - save for the occasional blue chip superstar - is almost certainly going to raise eyebrows.

Sham NIL deals hiding pay-to-play setups may be hard to prove, but probably not impossible.

Your head is in the sand, that’s all NIL is, pay for play. It was a violation to buy a kid dinners, now they can buy them the restaurant! That Dylan Raiola kid is going from team to team pushing their boosters to up the ante week by week. The agents and lawyers are having a field day. Hasn’t taken a snap in NCAA football yet.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This is what's gonna drag people (or programs) into the muck with the NCAA, or with whatever state or local body has the power to enforce the relevant laws/rules.  Arguably, the entire premise underlying NIL was that one's name, image, and/or likeness would have some value BEFORE money starts getting thrown around.  Giving blanket or flat sums to recruits before they've set foot on campus - save for the occasional blue chip superstar - is almost certainly going to raise eyebrows.

Sham NIL deals hiding pay-to-play setups may be hard to prove, but probably not impossible.

This^^^^

The O'Bannon lawsuit that led to all this was about the "athlete" being able to use their name, image, and likeness or be compensated for the use of(i.e. video games).

That is what is should be. The NCAA needs to set a couple of guideleines and schools should set some limits on how and when school logos/name can and can't be used by the athlete.....and from that point on it should be up to the athlete to put together any branding of their name and negotiate compensation.

• Upvote 3

On 4/19/2023 at 10:59 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Proof or I'm skeptical. 

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Housing bubble.
Stock market bubble.

NIL bubble. 

It's coming. 

It's just such a bad take to think this thing is controllable any more.

It's on the level of betting on the BetaMax  and then sinking the retirement on LazerDisc players in the DeLorean

25 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It's just such a bad take to think this thing is controllable any more.

It's on the level of betting on the BetaMax  and then sinking the retirement on LazerDisc players in the DeLorean

To be fair, if you had the DeLorean, you could just go into the future and get the intel needed to place the correct bets.  The "Sports Almanac" betting plan.

;) 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Forum members under the age of 40 be like: WTF is BetaMax? LazerDisc sounds cool AF tho!

Not relevant to anything: When living in Billings, MT, 20+ years ago, there was a weird concentration of DeLoreans in the area, so much so that every parade in Billings had five to ten DeLoreans participating. Maybe alot of cocaine fans out there or something. 

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Let them leave, first step in reconfiguring the conferences by region.

About Miami, Wodon assumes (1) that the leadership in Miami is really serious about leaving the NCHC and (2) that the only or primary obstacle to their departure is the conference exit fee (which the NCHC may or may not choose to waive). 

About Arizona State, Wodon assumes (1) that ASU desires to join the NCHC and (2) that the only or primary obstacle is the NCHC dragging its feet in issuing an invitation. 

Which of Wodon’s assumptions are correct?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

But someone on this forum awhile back tried to convince me that Miami has all the resources to be competitive in the NCHC because the Redhawks made it to the NCAA title game in 2009. :silly:

I am glad someone else realizes that losing Miami is addition by subtraction for the NCHC.

23 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Why would ASU be an upgrade?  To me it is just replacing a bottom feeder with another one.

To me, I feel like ASU wouldn’t stay in the NCHC long term anyway. That they’d just use us as a stepping stone. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

About Miami, Wodon assumes (1) that the leadership in Miami is really serious about leaving the NCHC and (2) that the only or primary obstacle to their departure is the conference exit fee (which the NCHC may or may not choose to waive). 

About Arizona State, Wodon assumes (1) that ASU desires to join the NCHC and (2) that the only or primary obstacle is the NCHC dragging its feet in issuing an invitation. 

Which of Wodon’s assumptions are correct?

He's not one to say stuff to stir the pot, Miami wanting out makes sense.

ASU wants a conference, period. Powers said as much in a previous CHN article.

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Nobody is going to waive their exit fee when that happens. Maybe theirs will be higher.

This talk of waiving Miami’s exit fee because it’s “the right thing to do” seems a bit naive to me. Wouldn’t that set a bad precedent???

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

To me, I feel like ASU wouldn’t stay in the NCHC long term anyway. That they’d just use us as a stepping stone. 

To what?  Maybe the Big Ten would take them, but they haven't so far, and there is definitely some bad blood after the poaching of USC-UCLA.  The NCHC is obviously a better geographic fit.  I think it you can grab them you do, especially if Miami is departing.  Would be interesting to see if Western would stay then.  I think they would, as they seem serious about hockey.

I think a decrease of the exit fee could be done, say down to $250,000, or take it down to zero with 2 years notice.  I agree a flat out waiver would be a bad precedent, but keeping a team that is a drag on the conference doesn't make sense either.  Even going down to 7 teams wouldn't be terrible.  Would be like the Big 10, and would also allow a true round robin schedule while staying at 24 conference games.  Would also prove the opportunity to revamp the conference tourney setup.

What Wodon doesn't mention is the clear need for a broader realignment of probably all the Eastern conferences.  Could an Eastern NCHC of the most committed program form?  Could the Ivies split off?  Several new programs in the offings.  A lot of possible scenarios.

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

This talk of waiving Miami’s exit fee because it’s “the right thing to do” seems a bit naive to me. Wouldn’t that set a bad precedent???

Yes it would set a bad precedent. And, as Woodon points out, $1M is chump change. I think if Miami wants out they could find the money in the petty cash drawer.