SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

19 minutes ago, burd said:

With possibly more entering the portal as the tourney progresses, wouldn't the coaches also be a little cautious about committing at this point?

Unfortunately with the way our roster is currently constructed, I don't think we have the option to be patient and wait. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, burd said:

With possibly more entering the portal as the tourney progresses, wouldn't the coaches also be a little cautious about committing at this point?

Giving it a little more thought. A guy like Brosz last year is probably the exception, but if you make the NCAA tournament, you're a good program. The only guys that would make sense that would enter would be because of either playing time or a Gopher (too much talent, see Cruickshank, Brosz last year). I just wouldn't anticipate a lot of high-end guys entering from those programs. 

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I hear he has to blow into the breathalyzer before stepping onto the broomball rink up in Blaine…

The last time I talked to him was at last year's frozen faceoff. He was a bit on the inebriated side, but he was in good spirits. :) I can't fault a guy for doing that. I've been known to drink two, two beers. :)

19 hours ago, Goon said:

The last time I talked to him was at last year's frozen faceoff. He was a bit on the inebriated side, but he was in good spirits. :) I can't fault a guy for doing that. I've been known to drink two, two beers. :)

You at 1-2 beers and that bozo at 30-35 are two entirely different beasts.

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2023 at 7:59 PM, dustnyou said:

So is the bulldog message board a dumpster fire? Fire Sandelin and burn amsoil down? Imagine this forum if und had a first round pick enter the portal after one season lol. 

Berry and UND have that covered. Can't lose 1st round picks to portal if you never had them in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

That's a good point. Not to mention that Judd Caulfield played there too. 

Played two seasons (2017-19) with USA Hockey National Team Development Program (NTDP):

And Hain.

That being said, all four were committed before they went to NTDP, but the fact they all kept their commitments tells me that rumor may not have much truth to it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SpudsSioux said:

And Hain.

That being said, all four were committed before they went to NTDP, but the fact they all kept their commitments tells me that rumor may not have much truth to it.

It might be cyclical as the coaching jobs at the USNDT have become a revolving door to the next coaching job.

I know Michigan and Michigan State have pretty close proximity to the program and have several connections so it seems like quite a few kids seem to end up at those schools. Boston U seems to get quite a few as well. Many of the kids playing there are from Michigan, New York, and Massachusetts. A few years back it seemed like many of the kids were going the Major Junior route. Also, many of these kids are not from hockey hotbeds as numerous Minnesota kids have turned down the invite to play there and instead opting to finish their high school careers.

The old saying is even more true today with internet, streaming and digital options available....if you are good, they will find you.

4 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I just read that sophomore Max Sasson of WMU signed a pro contract with the Vancouver Canucks. 

Tough loss for them.  Their two top goal scorers and two of their top three points leaders will be gone, at minimum.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

On a portal tangent......not one player on K St MBB team yesterday started at K St.

Someone tell me how the portal is good for college athletics??

Related to that - Nigel Pack, starting PG for Miami, transferred from K St for $800k in NIL money over 2 years. 

Miami's women's team has Cavinder twins who transferred from Fresno State.  They get $851k each. 

Miami has a billionaire sugar daddy that is driving a lot of this.   

The $$$ played a big role in all of them deciding to transfer.  It's all ridiculous but if they at least had to sit a year it would slow things down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SpudsSioux said:

And Hain.

Are you sure? There may be some truth to that rumor.  We only recently get players from the NTDP that committed before they went there or they’re from the area.  The U17 head coach (former U18 assistant) is from Grand Forks and has been with the NTDP for awhile. His father worked for the WCHA/NCHC at both Ralph’s every home weekend  for 30+ years. Does anyone know why there’s not a positive recruiting pipeline relationship there? I find it odd with that type of connection that we don’t have a single recruit from the NTDP right now, last year, or hardly at all recently. Clearly the NTDP has taken over (from Shattuck) as the “honey hole” for top US born college hockey prospects in the past ten years or so. Located in Ann Harbor, they are the best thing to happen to Michigan Hockey  in the past 50 years as kids love it there and commit to stay there. But Minnesota, BU, BC , etc have gotten their fair share of high-Enders from the NTDP and we have gotten 0 lately. (Unless they are from the area or committed before they went there). Does anyone know why?