SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

51 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They can sell playing a ton of minutes on the blue line for portal guys.  

Tough look losing 15 & 25 to the pros, 3,7, & 2 graduate 
Only 4 returning - so spots & minutes wide open for everyone 

6 and 24 still portal out as jrs.

Have to sell transfers on blue line minutes, couldn't/wouldn't sell guys we recruited and coached for 2 seasons with said minutes. Ouch.

7 minutes ago, sparky8701 said:

Tough look losing 15 & 25 to the pros, 3,7, & 2 graduate 
Only 4 returning - so spots & minutes wide open for everyone 

6 and 24 still portal out as jrs.

Have to sell transfers on blue line minutes, couldn't/wouldn't sell guys we recruited and coached for 2 seasons with said minutes. Ouch.

#culture

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND has 1...one defenseman returning. Let that roll off your tongue. 

Certainly not ideal.  But also not entirely unexpected.  We've been talking for months about how there was a good chance we'd only have 1-3 dmen returning.
Frisch returning would have been huge and Bast entering the portal wasn't a certainty (like Johnson).
Can still be a strong group if the two portal pickups are good and then once the freshmen D get up to speed.

On the plus side...with how much everyone complained about the D group this year and their poor play...maybe this is for the best.  ;)  :D

• Upvote 1

Just now, brianvf said:

Certainly not ideal.  But also not entirely unexpected.  We've been talking for months about how there was a good chance we'd only have 1-3 dmen returning.
Frisch returning would have been huge and Bast entering the portal wasn't a certainty (like Johnson).
Can still be a strong group if the two portal pickups are good and then once the freshmen D get up to speed.

On the plus side...with how much everyone complained about the D group this year and their poor play...maybe this is for the best.  ;)  :D

I’ve been saying it for months that turning over basically the entire d core may be for the best. Fresh slate! 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Imho this will either make or break Berrys tenure here , what he does in the off season and what kind of roster he can assemble. 

Haha I’m completely joking here…but those conversations with Kleven and Frisch had to be hilarious. With previous teams it was always more around if the player is ready or not. I’m guessing this year it was more about staying to help out the program in the short term. 

If Bubs can find two decent D in the portal and a solid G, we should be a solid team. Young dmen will grow but there will be pain points. Overall, our recruiting/recruit management has to improve by quite a bit. You can’t mess around with a player or two because we don’t have the recruiting depth we used to have. Time to start fixing things.  It can’t be these short term solutions. I have zero expectations for next year other than we need to start pulling in some big recruits like we used to and looking towards 24-25.

• Upvote 1

The quality of Goaltender is high in the portal. Feel good about not only what's in there, but UND's chances. What about defenseman? Knowing a RH shot is almost a necessity, I can only find two currently that seem like they would be solid gets.

• Tanner Palocsik - 3rd Team All ECAC (2nd Team All-Ivy)
  • Luke Krys - 2nd Team All-Ivy

Both Captains last year.

Anyone else?

38 minutes ago, tnt said:

All I know is that as a season ticket holder I am considering myself a free agent and trying to negotiate with the Ralph for a parking pass.   You shouldn't have to park a mile away at a World Class facility.  Heck, even St Thomas is putting a parking ramp adjacent to their new proposed arena. 

Do it.....south side of Ralph is never close to full.

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Yep I’d take him in a second…D play will be iffy but that’s not why you take a kind like this. Guessing Bubs wouldn’t touch him with a ten ft pole. Fairly outspoken kid, definitely new school.

Howard did an interview with Pucks in Deep podcast back in July 2022 after he was drafted, he said it was between Duluth and North Dakota. He picked Duluth soon after they won championship. So gotta hope Berry & Co. are contacting him again. Gotta land a player like him if you can.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Howard did an interview with Pucks in Deep podcast back in July 2022 after he was drafted, he said it was between Duluth and North Dakota. He picked Duluth soon after they won championship. So gotta hope Berry & Co. are contacting him again. Gotta land a player like him if you can.

Oh man yeah that’d be a big one. 
you take first round talent anytime you can. 

50 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

If Berry manages to bring him in, better put gfhockey under watch.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, dden3 said:

Anybody else see that Howard at Duluth has entered the transfer portal. A high NHL draft choice. 

It is at least worthy of a review.  Any idea why he would enter the portal?  Was it lack of playing time or does he have a good amount of ice time?

2 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

It is at least worthy of a review.  Any idea why he would enter the portal?  Was it lack of playing time or does he have a good amount of ice time?

He played in every game but two.  He certainly had a slow start though, for sure.
UMD people are saying he was "lazy" and didn't want to earn his opportunities.
I'm not sure if that is just sour grapes or accurate though.