SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Commodore-UND  106 games 382 PIM...484 NHL games...23 million in career earnings

Greene-UND 120 games 337 PIM....615 NHL games...25 million in career earnings

What's your point? The only point I was making is that the league isn't having secret meetings in a smoke-filled room trying to figure out how to screw UND/Kleven over. This is the player he is.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Commodore-UND  106 games 382 PIM...484 NHL games...23 million in career earnings

We also took Greene and Commodore for what they were. Big, punishing defensemen who would find themselves in the box frequently. Do we think the league was out to get them as well?

5 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

What's your point? The only point I was making is that the league isn't having secret meetings in a smoke-filled room trying to figure out how to screw UND/Kleven over. This is the player he is.

I think he does get the short end of the stick. Look at the series at Miami (Friday game). Gaber gets into it and throwing full on punches back and forth with a guy, gets 2+2. 

30 seconds later in the scrum, Klevin goes at it - it looks objectively less than Gabers mix up and receives 5 + game. WTF?

8 minutes ago, sparky8701 said:

I think he does get the short end of the stick. Look at the series at Miami (Friday game). Gaber gets into it and throwing full on punches back and forth with a guy, gets 2+2. 

30 seconds later in the scrum, Klevin goes at it - it looks objectively less than Gabers mix up and receives 5 + game. WTF?

Western Michigan at the Ralph. Ref jumps out of way of puck that Tyler is chasing down and turns his head away from the play. WMU lays a text book 5 minute checking from behind hit on Kleven and puck squirts toward corner and Kleven gets up(rather than lay on ice) and the puck comes back towards him and he gets up and starts moving puck behind the net and receives 3 successive slashes and gives WMU player a cross check and gets one in return and then gives WMU player another cross check and hits him in shoulder and the hit continues and makes head contact. Is that a penalty on Kleven? Sure, contact to head. Does the play happen if the referee doesn't give the WMU player carte blanche to commit 21 minutes worth and 4  blatant penalties on Kleven since he is the larger, stronger player? Tyler gets a 5 and 10 and WMU player receives nothing for a dangerous hit and then 3 slashes to instigate the entire situation. Kleven was on receiving end of far more uncalled penalties than he committed this season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Western Michigan at the Ralph. Ref jumps out of way of puck that Tyler is chasing down and turns his head away from the play. WMU lays a text book 5 minute checking from behind hit on Kleven and puck squirts toward corner and Kleven gets up(rather than lay on ice) and the puck comes back towards him and he gets up and starts moving puck behind the net and receives 3 successive slashes and gives WMU player a cross check and gets one in return and then gives WMU player another cross check and hits him in shoulder and the hit continues and makes head contact. Is that a penalty on Kleven? Sure, contact to head. Does the play happen if the referee doesn't give the WMU player carte blanche to commit 21 minutes worth and 4  blatant penalties on Kleven since he is the larger, stronger player? Tyler gets a 5 and 10 and WMU player receives nothing for a dangerous hit and then 3 slashes to instigate the entire situation. Kleven was on receiving end of far more uncalled penalties than he committed this season.

There's being biased, and then there's whatever this is. 

9 minutes ago, jk said:

I mean, look at the tape.  

I did look at it. Was there a missed boarding on Kleven? Yes. Was there a single slash from Polin on Kleven after? No. Did he receive a cross check from Polin? No. Did Kleven's crosscheck start at Polin's shoulder and move to his head? Nope, it was straight to the face. If you think what he posted tells the story of that incident, then yikes.

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Had both of them played in today's game their penalty minutes would have doubled.  The physical part of the game has been taken out by the NCAA.   Kleven hasn't adjusted game to what is and isn't allowed and put himself in the position he was in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

There's being biased, and then there's whatever this is. 

I'd have to rewatch that incident to see if your recollection is closer to what actually transpired or if petey is closer.

That said, if most of the posters on here are biased to the boys in green, usually your bias (when it comes to officiating) is biased to the opposing team.
I don't think the refs are "out to get Kleven" by any stretch, but I've certainly seen many instances where he takes some punishment with nothing called and then he gets called for something very similar shortly after.  He's a big boy and is very strong on his skates.  Was it this year or last year when the refs reviewed for a major when an opposing player ran into the back of Kleven and they called Kleven for a penalty?  It was checking from behind...from behind.  That was comical to say the least.

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'd have to rewatch that incident to see if your recollection is closer to what actually transpired or if petey is closer.

That said, if most of the posters on here are biased to the boys in green, usually your bias (when it comes to officiating) is biased to the opposing team.
I don't think the refs are "out to get Kleven" by any stretch, but I've certainly seen many instances where he takes some punishment with nothing called and then he gets called for something very similar shortly after.  He's a big boy and is very strong on his skates.  Was it this year or last year when the refs reviewed for a major when an opposing player ran into the back of Kleven and they called Kleven for a penalty?  It was checking from behind...from behind.  That was comical to say the least.

Then you completely agree with my entire point in this conversation.

Thinking it won't matter because Kleven will be a Senator soon.:lol:

I have a feeling Frisch is back.  He's a get your masters type kid.  If he's back let it ride with 4, 24, and the frosh d men, although likely one lefty d man on the way from the portal.

Two portal goalies if Hedquist is staying in the BCHL.  If he's coming then you've got to be sure your Portal guy can play 20 plus games. 

Wonder how much scholarship dollars 32 gets?  If we can tell Calder we don't have money available we can tell that to him as well I'd think.  

28 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Had both of them played in today's game their penalty minutes would have doubled.  The physical part of the game has been taken out by the NCAA.   Kleven hasn't adjusted game to what is and isn't allowed and put himself in the position he was in.

The physical game is called much different now than it was for either of those guys.   

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Thinking it won't matter because Kleven will be a Senator soon.:lol:

I have a feeling Frisch is back.  He's a get your masters type kid.  If he's back let it ride with 4, 24, and the frosh d men, although likely one lefty d man on the way from the portal.

Two portal goalies if Hedquist is staying in the BCHL.  If he's coming then you've got to be sure your Portal guy can play 20 plus games.

Agreed on Kleven, for sure.
I have a feeling both Frisch and Gaber will come back.  No inside info on either, just a hopeful hunch.
Hedquist had a better 2nd half, so potential for him to come in next season I suppose rather than 2 portal goalies.

5 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Agreed on Kleven, for sure.
I have a feeling both Frisch and Gaber will come back.  No inside info on either, just a hopeful hunch.
Hedquist had a better 2nd half, so potential for him to come in next season I suppose rather than 2 portal goalies.

At the moment the portal goalie options are not great. Hopefully the selection improves after more teams are eliminated. Because right now I think I’d take my chances with Hedquist. 

On 3/18/2023 at 8:15 PM, scpa0305 said:

Berry has to adapt to the newer style of play. Plain and simple. He has to let the skill players play and deal with some of the D breakdowns/learning curve. He has a couple skill guys coming in, they both have to play. If we stick with this chip and chase style of play I’m afraid he won’t make it another year or two.

Look at Minnesota this year they had some rough moments defensively with some of their young forwards but you have to accept it and let them grow through it.They might give up an opportunity but they are gonna generate a heck of a lot offensively too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

I'll say...

If 15 comes back, we're top 10 in PWR.
If 15 doesn't come back, we're a bubble team but I still bet we'd make the NCAAs.

Whoaaaaa Nellie if they DON’T make the NCAA’s next season.  That “Boo Berry” thread will be LIT!

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Look at Minnesota this year they had some rough moments defensively with some of their young forwards but you have to accept it and let them grow through it.They might give up an opportunity but they are gonna generate a heck of a lot offensively too.

Sounds like how Blake was treated.