SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

11 minutes ago, AJS said:

Was listening to Ottawa 1200 TSN this morning and their discussion on Kleven. They had NHL analyst Mike Johnson on and he was talking about how Ottawa's defensive situation (especially on the left side) was not ideal for Kleven. Doing some minor digging, this doesn't appear to be a one-off type of opinion. It might make sense for him to either get traded or go back for his Senior year and then pick where he plays the following year. 

Not predicting he will, but it's worth following.  

His play picked up tremendously the last handful of games or so. Coming back is not a negative. I’ve said it all along, he has things he needs to work on and the A is a much tougher league than NCAA. Coming back he could continue to develop and he’s really not old at all.

58 minutes ago, AJS said:

I’m sure he does, but if he comes back, he’ll be a roster lock. The lineup will be less talented and won’t reach its full potential. I’m really interested to see what Berry does here.

To paraphrase Lou Nanne talking about UND, playing physical is a talent.  I disagree the lineup would be less talented with 13 than with some of the other options.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

I feel the same way about 18 as I did with 6 hitting the portal. So inexcusable for a program that at one point was one of the leaders in development. Those two have talent and were completely misused this year. This past year was a complete failure by the Coaching staff on every level. Culture!

This program seems to be at a fork in the road right now. There's still a pathway where this offseason is a success, but man, it could really go sideways. 

But for 18, we have 26 who greatly improved. He pointed out a direct correlation to what he learned in practice, to his improved play (skating lower in his stride). I'm curious to watch Matteo down the road. Maybe he just peaked? He wasn't expected to be a big contributor his freshman year and had a great year. Maybe that was his ceiling? 

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

I feel the same way about 18 as I did with 6 hitting the portal. So inexcusable for a program that at one point was one of the leaders in development. Those two have talent and were completely misused this year. This past year was a complete failure by the Coaching staff on every level. Culture!

This program seems to be at a fork in the road right now. There's still a pathway where this offseason is a success, but man, it could really go sideways. 

I do agree with a couple points you made. 6 and 18 were misused a bit, more so 6. However who knows what type of kids they were. Also, as someone else pointed out, 18 did get looks at top 6 here and there and didn’t produce. Curious how other players had such long leashes while still not producing.

I do agree on your form in the road comment. This program has to win to recruit…we don’t have the campus the programs do.

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

But for 18, we have 26 who greatly improved. He pointed out a direct correlation to what he learned in practice, to his improved play (skating lower in his stride). I'm curious to watch Matteo down the road. Maybe he just peaked? He wasn't expected to be a big contributor his freshman year and had a great year. Maybe that was his ceiling? 

26 did improve, but I would argue he was misused as well. I'm dying on the hill that the line combinations did not even close to maximize last years ceiling. Can anyone explain what 11, 13, 20, 29 did better than 21? Can anyone explain why giving 10, 19, 27 those type of minutes made that team better by the end of the year. This is why I'm making potentially a bigger deal about 13 than I should. 13 and what they decide to do in a weird way tells me what kind of program Berry wants. 

It's important also to take a step back (me telling myself). Let's see what the next domino is. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AJS said:

26 did improve, but I would argue he was misused as well. I'm dying on the hill that the line combinations did not even close to maximize last years ceiling. Can anyone explain what 11, 13, 20, 29 did better than 21? Can anyone explain why giving 10, 19, 27 those type of minutes made that team better by the end of the year. This is why I'm making potentially a bigger deal about 13 than I should. 13 and what they decide to do in a weird way tells me what kind of program Berry wants. 

It's important also to take a step back (me telling myself). Let's see what the next domino is. 

I completely agree with the premise that the coaching staff made the active decision to flip to a defensive game down the stretch and rely on one or two (basically one) lines to generate scoring. That's why we saw OMac with the wings he was with. Same with James. That's why we saw Senden, Hain, and Ness in every game. I expect the staff to bring our offensive guys together next year and basically reset. If they don't, that's a problem. If that happens, 13 has a bottom six role. 

Yep. Hard to be patient after this season, but we basically have no choice.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I think by all these moves Berry knows he has to change , kudos to him we would all be roasting him if it was all status quo. Guys weren’t cracking the line up find players who will. 

I agree with this. Feels like they are seeing that the guys who left are guys they feel may have hit their peak. We'll see.

10 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I think by all these moves Berry knows he has to change , kudos to him we would all be roasting him if it was all status quo. Guys weren’t cracking the line up find players who will. 

Agreed.  Berry mentioned earlier that they already had conversations with all the players about next season.
Many of these moves we're seeing now are more than likely a result of that.
My guess is that Bast, Matteo, and Hellsten may have been told that they'd be fighting for a roster spot again next season.  And my hope is that part of those conversations are a result of maybe Frisch/Caulfield/Gaber making a decision to return (crossing fingers).

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

I still think 15 signs.  He can’t afford to have a bad year next year and miss out on an offer. 

I am seeing 15 as more of a Colton Poolman kind of player, and not sure he is going to be a long term solution for any NHL team if he does sign.  No doubt he could surprise, and fill a need for some team, but I would bet that Jandric would have a better opportunity to get NHL time.   

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

His play picked up tremendously the last handful of games or so. Coming back is not a negative. I’ve said it all along, he has things he needs to work on and the A is a much tougher league than NCAA. Coming back he could continue to develop and he’s really not old at all.

College hockey is the wrong league for Mr. Kleven right now. Coming back to und would actually be bad for his development . Time to go. 

12 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

College hockey is the wrong league for Mr. Kleven right now. Coming back to und would actually be bad for his development . Time to go. 

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

That’s your opinion.

I saw Kleven become a much, much more responsible defender and much smarter physical player down the stretch, this year. Plus, he had some massive goals. This is a blend he has to find no matter what league he plays in unless he wants to donate his brain to science one day.

• Upvote 3