SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

7 hours ago, sparky8701 said:

I could live with 24 entering too. He was the 4th or 5th best D on his AJHL team, underwhelmed in the USHL.

I saw him in one of his final USHL games. I could not believe he was coming that fall. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

6 is a real head-scratcher. I certainly understand why he is leaving but the treatment he received from the coaching staff is baffling. No ice time after early December when 4 and 24 looked lost a lot of their time on the ice. There is a story there - I hope we get to hear it. UND did him no favor by bringing him in before he was ready for D1 hockey.

When asked recently by Schlossman the coaches said defensive liability. If you're not better defensively than 4 and 24 you won't be seeing the ice. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

When asked recently by Schlossman the coaches said defensive liability. If you're not better defensively than 4 and 24 you won't be seeing the ice. 

Hope Berry and Co get back to trying to Coach up talent next year. Here's one of my many issues with the Johnson situation. He grew so much from the beginning to end of his Freshman year. He was solid, playing big minutes. This has been the first portal exit that I absolutely hate how it transpired. There's still a few more that could fall into this category. 

Edit: Was he huge defensive liability by the end of his Freshman year? I don't remember that. Absolutely no worse at that point then what we saw fairly regularly from 1/2 the D-man on this years roster. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Which makes me wonder if he was good defensively in the USHL.  Did the coaches think they could fix his deficiencies, and if so, it appears they gave up on him rather early.  Mitchell Miller had other kinds of deficiencies, but they were more than happy to give him a whirl, until the administration stepped in.  If the coaches want ready made players, then they best be in the picture recruiting some of the first round talent, instead of relying on "character" guys that have a hard time finishing off plays.  When you need to have a player on each line that gives a defensive presence but has a difficult time finishing, then instead of tic tac toe on plays, you will be getting the fans reaction of tic tac ohh!!

https://youtu.be/kexF0BkIt6I

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, tnt said:

You expect anything else but hyperbole from someone whose posts come almost exclusively after our season ended?

https://thehockeynews.com/news/draft-bandit-luke-bast-the-small-defenseman-with-a-big-skill-set

That hockeynews article aged like milk in the sun.  The piece you referenced makes fair points regarding his production, relative to his age - sure. It also predicted he would be late round pick which never materialized. 

Like it mentions, the Brooks Bandits ran absolutely ROUGHSHOD over that entire league. They had a 14 game win streak that season, 5 games with 10+ goals. They were blowing out teams every night. Bast was 14th on that team in scoring. He was 4th in D scoring in the reg season and playoffs. 

Ethan Lund put up close-ish numbers (28 pts vs 35) to him on that team, also as a 17 year old. If you haven't heard of him, it's because he was a freshman this year at Niagra, dressed in 13 games and put up 0 points. 

Then contrary to what was written, he did not head to UND that fall. Idk if they were just incorrect or if the coaching staff recognized he wasn't ready.

6 put up 3 more points in his single USHL season than 24 did in 79 games over two seasons. Most of that Brooks team who produced more than 24 are depth pieces on lower rung NCAA teams, two are playing D3 hockey. 

I admit, 5th best is hyperbole but I think I can stand with 4th best on his AJHL team. Look at his brother for comparison, he was...fine. He produced more at the same level. 

I hope I'm wrong and he takes a huge step next year, we need it. 

41 minutes ago, tnt said:

Which makes me wonder if he was good defensively in the USHL.  Did the coaches think they could fix his deficiencies, and if so, it appears they gave up on him rather early.  Mitchell Miller had other kinds of deficiencies, but they were more than happy to give him a whirl, until the administration stepped in.  If the coaches want ready made players, then they best be in the picture recruiting some of the first round talent, instead of relying on "character" guys that have a hard time finishing off plays.  When you need to have a player on each line that gives a defensive presence but has a difficult time finishing, then instead of tic tac toe on plays, you will be getting the fans reaction of tic tac ohh!!

What was Henessey's line.... "Another shot WIDE of the net!"

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Johnson played on a bad Sioux Falls team and looking at their stats it looks like they had one line and he was the offensive blue liner and Fantauzi was the defensive blue liner and they probably tried to get them out with Cole Sillinger and his line mates as often as possible. i don't know if I have ever seen a team with such disparity in statistics.

Forwards

Sillinger(Columbus) 46 points(31 games) +5, Russell(Mich St.) 33 points(54 games) +5, Haskins(Denver) 27 points(51 games) +1

Pinoneimi(Minnesota) 37 points(50 games) -18, Citara(Providence) 35 points(51 games) -18, Toprowski(AHL) 33 points(32 games) -5

Dineen(Yale) 25 points((51 games) 122 PIm -23, Pabich(Maine) 22 points(53 games) -16, Rhodes(Canadian college) 18 points(54 games) -15

Defense

Johnson(Portal) 32 points(47 games) +15, Fauntazzi(Sacred Heart) 17 points(34 games) +21

Schweitzer(CC) 23 points(53 games) -18, Chabrier(Maine) 12 points(38 games) -16

Tabakin(Yale) 6 points(31 games) -14, Schimek(Providence) 6 points(42 games) -14

I would guess the Coach was trying to negotiate as many media time outs as possible.

What other questions will we get answers to this week?

• Will 15 Sign or return? (Return)
  • Will 17 Sign or return? (Return)
  • Will 28 Sign or return? (Return)
  • Will 13 be given the opportunity to use his 5th year (@ UND)? (No)
  • Will 18 Hit the Portal? (No)

Those are the five questions I have currently. In parentheses is what I'm hoping happens. 

30 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Albrecht hasn't used his 4th year yet.

Correct, he has two left. I'm not anti-Albrecht. Senior class, he was honored, thanks for your contributions. I would much rather see 18, 21 or Emerson get that spot. This team has the talent, play them. 

1 minute ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Maybe 13 has very little scholarship money and the can keep him as an emergency plan. 

I’m sure he does, but if he comes back, he’ll be a roster lock. The lineup will be less talented and won’t reach its full potential. I’m really interested to see what Berry does here.

49 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Because he didn’t get a game that first year? Didn’t he have to redshirt?

You have five academic years to complete four seasons of competition. 

Albrecht didn't play in 2019-20 so it was not a season of competition (but it was first of five academic).

Before you bring it up the 2020-21 season counts as neither an academic nor competition year for anyone: 2020-21 never happened

Albrecht: -20, -22, -23, -24, -25 are his five academic years and -22, -23, -24, -25 would be his four competition years. 

Alternatively, Frisch did play in -20 so

Frisch: -20, -22, -23, -24, -25 are his five academic years and 20, -22, -23, -24 would be his four competition years. 

Was listening to Ottawa 1200 TSN this morning and their discussion on Kleven. They had NHL analyst Mike Johnson on and he was talking about how Ottawa's defensive situation (especially on the left side) was not ideal for Kleven. Doing some minor digging, this doesn't appear to be a one-off type of opinion. It might make sense for him to either get traded or go back for his Senior year and then pick where he plays the following year. 

Not predicting he will, but it's worth following.  

• Upvote 4