SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

14 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

Has Kleven signed a contract?  Would not blame him the way the league has treated him.

Let's take a look at Kleven's stats throughout his career.

2017-18     Fargo Davies     Games Played: 27     Penalty Minutes: 54

2018-19     USNTDP     Games Played: 52     Penalty Minutes: 96

2019-20    USNTDP    Games Played: 45     Penalty Minutes: 63

2020-23    UND       Games Played: 95     Penalty Minutes: 214

At some point people have to stop claiming the league is out to get him and just realize this is who he is as a player. Always has been and always will. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Let's take a look at Kleven's stats throughout his career.

2017-18     Fargo Davies     Games Played: 27     Penalty Minutes: 54

2018-19     USNTDP     Games Played: 52     Penalty Minutes: 96

2019-20    USNTDP    Games Played: 45     Penalty Minutes: 63

2020-23    UND       Games Played: 95     Penalty Minutes: 214

At some point people have to stop claiming the league is out to get him and just realize this is who he is as a player. Always has been and always will. 

It is not that simply.  The league fails to enforce embellishment and acting.  There are calls that are overlooked but the sight is on Kleven.  If a player stays down for over 10 seconds, the league needs to enforce a required concussion protocol in the locker room before the player returns.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

It is not that simply.  The league fails to enforce embellishment and acting.  There are calls that are overlooked but the sight is on Kleven.  If a player stays down for over 10 seconds, the league needs to enforce a required concussion protocol in the locker room before the player returns.

Nobody is going to argue against this. It won't change his penalty stats. Him having close to 100 penalty minutes in one season of Juniors was not a case of him being targeted. He has always played right on the line, often times going way over the line.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Company?

Matteo is such a head-scratcher to me.  Such a great, promising freshman season for him...but then to go from 21 pts down to only 3 pts as a sophomore.  And he still played 25 games this season.

Got buried behind 10 27 19 28 11 13

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

11 and 13 didn't exactly see much ice in their games either. 

11 had 6 points in 27 games and was +3.

13 had 6 points in 27 games and was +4. 

18 had 3 points in 26 games and was -5.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

And that's the crazy thing too...the players that you'd expect Matteo would have beaten out for playing time like Ness & Albrecht...both those guys had double the points as Matteo in the same amount of games.  And you know they were getting bottom 6 minutes as well.  Either 18 was incredibly snake-bitten or he just didn't have it this year.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Berry has to adapt to the newer style of play. Plain and simple. He has to let the skill players play and deal with some of the D breakdowns/learning curve. He has a couple skill guys coming in, they both have to play. If we stick with this chip and chase style of play I’m afraid he won’t make it another year or two.

The odds of Berry seeing the light are around zero percent.  Coaches are notoriously stubborn with their systems.  And other than this board and the fanbase there is no demand for excellence in our athletic department.  Be prepared for more of the same.  Sadly. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jk said:

Hain was a -10.

9 hours ago, jk said:

who else was on the ice with 18? +/- are not owned by a player, they are a function of who else was on the ice, both UND and opponents.

15 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

You mean he works really hard…I wouldn’t say he was one of our best Fs. Fs need to be productive, he really isn’t whatsoever.

I wouldn't completely agree with this.  What about a checking line that is designed to shut down the top line of other teams? 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

I wouldn't completely agree with this.  What about a checking line that is designed to shut down the top line of other teams? 

My point is that he wasn’t one of our best forwards. He definitely works hard though, I agree with that.

Updated ideal off-season for the Forwards.

• Lose: 10, 13, 19

• Keep / Return: 17, 28

• Incoming: Emerson, Perron

15F, replace grit w/ skill. Don’t worry, there are guys currently on roster who can play that shutdown roll. Overall, much more talented group. Also, this would handcuff the Coaches a bit with having to actually play talent. Give them less room for questionable lines, etc.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Shout out to 4,6,18,20 and 21 forget about the portal and work hard in the off season and show everybody what your made of. 

Reading the schloss article this morning makes me hate the portal even more. Talking about picking up 1-2 D and potentially a F…are we trying to hide the fact we’re pushing out good young players?

Develop the players we have. Open spot on the top pp for a transfer? We’re bringing in multiple skilled Dmen…we have Moore who should get that opp. Not sure what’s going on anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I didn’t see the transfer portal as a negative going into this year, but I do now. The chance to get an old skater for a year is enticing, but I think it’s a significant negative long term and will hurt our recruiting of higher end players. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Reading the schloss article this morning makes me hate the portal even more. Talking about picking up 1-2 D and potentially a F…are we trying to hide the fact we’re pushing out good young players?

Develop the players we have. Open spot on the top pp for a transfer? We’re bringing in multiple skilled Dmen…we have Moore who should get that opp. Not sure what’s going on anymore. 

You know who was not mentioned in that article?   

20 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I didn’t see the transfer portal as a negative going into this year, but I do now. The chance to get an old skater for a year is enticing, but I think it’s a significant negative long term and will hurt our recruiting of higher end players. 

The portal should be used to plug holes that come up every once in a while, not as a substitute for recruiting and developing your own players. Despite all the upheaval in collegiate athletics the past couple of seasons, that remains the heart and soul of every successful program. If Berry and company cannot do that, it will be time to move on.

Next season is huge for this coaching staff and the program as a whole. The early 1990's were ugly and I have no wish to relive them.

• Upvote 3